uhh, building new quantum boards

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Hey guys, i just got two new QBs, the HLG 288 v1s. i ordered two drivers to power each separately( i think). I have noooo clue, how to build this light.
ive been following youtube videos, and im still having trouble. i know negative 100 about electrical shit, this is 100 percent brand new to me.

Can anyone explain maybe how to build this meanwell driver, or connect to everything?
I am using Wago connectors trying to connect the power cord to the driver, lol thats as far as i have gotten, and i dont know what color wires connect to which, thats how nooby i am.

I have black connected to brown, blue to white,green to green.
I read on a meanwell website, or looked at this chart rather,
Uhh building new quantum boards

Uhh building new quantum boards 3
Uhh building new quantum boards 2
Uhh building new quantum boards 4

am i connecting the power cord correctly? do i do this same thing for the rest of the wiring?
Uhh building new quantum boards 5

Uhh building new quantum boards 6
Uhh building new quantum boards 7

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
i guess if anyone has any meanwell driver setup tutorial for complete dumbasses, i could use it ,hahahah.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
IMG 20200329 041759 6

I already have the heatsink connected,just need to connect the driver to the light somehow.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter

i use the HLG 150H-54B, is there a more powerful driver i need?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

View attachment 955227

How do i connect this end to the light correctly?
I have 18 gauge solid wire

Lets see if we can get through this together. From what you stated:

Outlet plug end:
Connect black and brown in 1 wago connector - looks correct
Connect white and blue in separate wago connector - looks correct
Connect green and green in separate wago connector

Pictures seem to show that your plug end is wired correctly

Moving to the other wires ....

Black is hot. Red is neutral.
Blue and white are your dimmer control wires

The red and black will connect to your boards and the blue and white will connect to your dimmer. If you get stuck, let me know ....

basscaptain

basscaptain

I can on to say the same thing .......

now your going to run a wago on the black and red and add wire to get to the light..... you can go up to 10 ft but you really only need a few ft of wire just to get the driver outside the tent....

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

OK, so I am going to start off by saying since you don't know anytning about wiring you should have spent the extra money to purchase an already built light. However this wiring is pretty easy, just follow that image you put up. Black hooks up to all the outlets on the board that are labeled (-), the red goes to all the outlets labeled (+), just follow the markings on the driver. The White and blue wire set is for dimming purposes, tape those off with electrical tape if you do nit have a dimmer.

basscaptain

basscaptain

the blue and white is for the dinner pod you never gave me a address to send to so you should run Both those qb's on 1 driver for Now so your not pushing 140w into 1 qb

basscaptain

basscaptain

OK, so I am going to start off by saying since you don't know anytning about wiring you should have spent the extra money to purchase an already built light. However this wiring is pretty easy, just follow that image you put up. Black hooks up to all the outlets on the board that are labeled (-), the red goes to all the outlets labeled (+), just follow the markings on the driver. The White and blue wire set is for dimming purposes, tape those off with electrical tape if you do nit have a dimmer.
all he needs is help to put this together like 5 mins....

wow......

basscaptain

basscaptain

peace out

it must be me cause this morning is fucked up all ready...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Um unless this doesn't follow wiring standards - black is always hot.

That's irrelevant if on the board end you have black and red wires. Just put all like colors in one wago and move onto the next.

The dimmer is installed on the blue/white wires.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

OK, so I am going to start off by saying since you don't know anytning about wiring you should have spent the extra money to purchase an already built light.

In defense of the OP - I disagree. This is simple stuff and although at first attempt it can be confusing, for most it only takes putting 1 light together and they now how to do it until the end of times.

Even easy things can seem hard until we're put on the right track

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Um unless this doesn't follow wiring standards - black is always hot.

That's irrelevant if on the board end you have black and red wires. Just put all like colors in one wago and move onto the next.

The dimmer is installed on the blue/white wires.
Look at the driver itself, I do believe they are labeled the other way. That is all I was trying to follow. But yes, just keep all like colors together and things will work.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter

Lets see if we can get through this together. From what you stated:

Outlet plug end:
Connect black and brown in 1 wago connector - looks correct
Connect white and blue in separate wago connector - looks correct
Connect green and green in separate wago connector

Pictures seem to show that your plug end is wired correctly

Moving to the other wires ....

Black is hot. Red is neutral.
Blue and white are your dimmer control wires

The red and black will connect to your boards and the blue and white will connect to your dimmer. If you get stuck, let me know ....

I can on to say the same thing .......

now your going to run a wago on the black and red and add wire to get to the light..... you can go up to 10 ft but you really only need a few ft of wire just to get the driver outside the tent....

Okay, cool thanks guys, this is what i needed. I know, i should have got an already built light, but, for the future, i do want to know how to build my own. So i am going to have to get over this stepping stone anyways at some point, im here now, already got the parts, i might as well learn. I can do this, just gunna take some learnings.

I think i understand how to connect the wiring to the light now i know which colors go where.

So heres a seperate question. I couldnt find black and red solid core wiring.
I grabbed 2 gray strands, and i figured id color one myself. Can i do this? Is the different color wires, different type of wire? yep, im THIS nooby lol.
If i need to, i can get black and red,just gunna have to wait a little cuz this corona fuck shit lol.

IMG 20200329 043838 6

the blue and white is for the dinner pod you never gave me a address to send to so you should run Both those qb's on 1 driver for Now so your not pushing 140w into 1 qb

Fuck i get so behind on things, i thought i did, but i guess not. I can just grab one do u have a link? ill spend the money bro, youve already done an over the top amount of help for me. Now youd be spending money to send, id feel bad.

COol, atleast i got the correct driver then, i thought i ordered the wrong one lol.

all he needs is help to put this together like 5 mins....

wow......

Its okay! im doing good getting things done, i got this, people can have opinions on how i do things, its not their garden and i will build a light if i want to, and put it in my garden if i want too. Sure, an unexperienced guy like me may be better off with a pre built light, but, i want to know how to do this. im interested in this.
Im a computer nerd, who knows 4 computer languages. Im fairly smart.

In defense of the OP - I disagree. This is simple stuff and although at first attempt it can be confusing, for most it only takes putting 1 light together and they now how to do it until the end of times.

This is all i need, just some direction, im also googling, i have learned alot about wiring through this. If i dont ever go through this learning phase, how am i ever supposed to get on your guys's veteran levels? Just never build a light and never know? its good!

Appreciate everyone alot, i think ill get this now that you guys verified which ishot and not etc. thats what i didnt get. the colors and shit got confusing, to which spots they go etc. i get it now.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I only suggest that because I find when I am confused if I have an example in front of me to reference I can figure out all the issues that were giving me problems far easier. Notice I then went on to offer help in how to do the wiring.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
So heres a seperate question. I couldnt find black and red solid core wiring.
I grabbed 2 gray strands, and i figured id color one myself. Can i do this? Is the different color wires, different type of wire? yep, im THIS nooby lol.
If i need to, i can get black and red,just gunna have to wait a little cuz this corona fuck shit lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom