Unconventional Supplements and Pest Treatment

• Thread starter corndog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
corndog

corndog

Hi!

I've been doing some reading about some unconventional supplements and wonder what y'all think or if you've read it. Apparently Nitric Oxide helps the formation of root hairs.

I know if Nitrous Oxide is dissolved in water the main dissolved species will be Nitric Oxide, but it will also add a Hydroxide group--raising the PH. Anyone ever considered using a seltzer or whipped cream maker to do this, really, I'm asking has anyone tried to give a whippet to their plants.

Fungus and mold are issues when cloning with the higher humidity and temperature, for me at least. I read that UVC lamps, while really bad for your eyes, and skin, are deadly for microorganisms. So I started flashing my clones every day with a UVC lamp. There's information about how much light a lamp will produce and all. But I read something from Stanford that said UVC is most effective against mildew/mold at night, because the organisms sort of lower their shields at night.

Running the UVC lamp with the grow light on seems to be effective for me keeping the clones clean. But. Has anyone tried using a UVC lamp during dark hours like Stanford suggests? Will it break down florigen or cause defects?

Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

Hi!

I've been doing some reading about some unconventional supplements and wonder what y'all think or if you've read it. Apparently Nitric Oxide helps the formation of root hairs.

I know if Nitrous Oxide is dissolved in water the main dissolved species will be Nitric Oxide, but it will also add a Hydroxide group--raising the PH. Anyone ever considered using a seltzer or whipped cream maker to do this, really, I'm asking has anyone tried to give a whippet to their plants.

Fungus and mold are issues when cloning with the higher humidity and temperature, for me at least. I read that UVC lamps, while really bad for your eyes, and skin, are deadly for microorganisms. So I started flashing my clones every day with a UVC lamp. There's information about how much light a lamp will produce and all. But I read something from Stanford that said UVC is most effective against mildew/mold at night, because the organisms sort of lower their shields at night.

Running the UVC lamp with the grow light on seems to be effective for me keeping the clones clean. But. Has anyone tried using a UVC lamp during dark hours like Stanford suggests? Will it break down florigen or cause defects?
Hey bro,

I've been using a 36w UVC lamp during dark hours to combat PM (big problem where I am) with great effect. I haven't seen any measurable defects. I only do quick pass over/ under before lights on or just as lights go off. That's due to the same link you posted. I have no idea about hormone damage though but I will certainly have a look and if I find something I will post it here for your perusal.

My advice would be just cover up balaclava style and wear a green head torch as you will be moving around in the dark wearing sunglasses. Any extra non disruptive light will help not break and ankle ;)

corndog

corndog

Hey bro,

I've been using a 36w UVC lamp during dark hours to combat PM (big problem where I am) with great effect. I haven't seen any measurable defects. I only do quick pass over/ under before lights on or just as lights go off. That's due to the same link you posted. I have no idea about hormone damage though but I will certainly have a look and if I find something I will post it here for your perusal.

My advice would be just cover up balaclava style and wear a green head torch as you will be moving around in the dark wearing sunglasses. Any extra non disruptive light will help not break and ankle ;)
word, it looks good for me as well

cottageman

cottageman

uv light can also damage plants so I’d be really careful with how much Uv light you give them especially when they’re clones because they can get stressed out very quickly with too much uv. For what it’s worth I killed my pm in my veg room by foliar spraying power si, ca mg and sea green. For knockdown I used banish and I haven’t seen pm in almost 3 years

Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

uv light can also damage plants so I’d be really careful with how much Uv light you give them especially when they’re clones because they can get stressed out very quickly with too much uv. For what it’s worth I killed my pm in my veg room by foliar spraying power si, ca mg and sea green. For knockdown I used banish and I haven’t seen pm in almost 3 yearso
Indeed sir it can and very much so. A friend of mine tried it. Had the thing running static in a room for an hour and came back to completely shrivelled up plants. 🤣 This is why I just wash over the plants quickly for about a week and most pathogens are nuked and the plants seem to love it. I also dowse entrances and work places regularly with my UVC wand just to be safe.

Using the foliar you suggested is great along with periodic foliar with something like Lactobascillus or bascillus subtilis. ✌️

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Good stuff.... especially the video.

That said, I use UVA+B also, not just pass over, but from lights on, until lights off. All 54 watts of it, not only does it elimiate PM, but it also seems to increase oil production toward harvest.

The one thing I will say about fungi is this, above the root line bad, below the root line, generally good...
I generally spawn fungi below the root line, several types.

Now, back to the NO part. I've thought about this one also, but never the guts to actually try it out, yet. My idea was using red beet extract or something along those lines, actually. Maybe as a suppliment in some sort of organic grow. You certainly don't want a high pH below your root line, above it is fine.

These are the lights I've been using with great success...

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
My overall guess on the Nitrous Oxide front is this.... Microbes is the way, there likely already doing all these kinda things, actually.
I've done a fair amount of reading on fungal transport systems. Here's a little on that....

Nitrous oxide emissions are mostly due to two microbial processes: nitrification and denitrification. Nitrous oxide is a by-product of the first step of nitrification, the oxidation of ammonia to nitrite. In contrast, N2O is either an intermediate or the end product of the denitrification cascade, which consists in the reduction of nitrate or nitrite into nitric oxide, nitrous oxide and dinitrogen. Sixty-two percent of the total global N2O emissions are from natural and agricultural soils , and denitrification is traditionally considered as the main source of these emissions.

It is well known that denitrification is widespread among prokaryotes—indeed, the ability to denitrify has been observed in more than 60 bacterial and archaeal genera. Moreover, eukaryotes such as fungi in soils or for aminifers in aquatic environments are also capable of denitrification.

My idea's on the "beet juice" idea, was aimed at an attempts to regulate this activity, feeding it... Plus, the (red) incandescent tint are called betalains might contribute some aesthetic value to the plants.

Last edited:
Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

Good stuff.... especially the video.

That said, I use UVA+B also, not just pass over, but from lights on, until lights off. All 54 watts of it, not only does it elimiate PM, but it also seems to increase oil production toward harvest.

The one thing I will say about fungi is this, above the root line bad, below the root line, generally good...
I generally spawn fungi below the root line, several types.

Now, back to the NO part. I've thought about this one also, but never the guts to actually try it out, yet. My idea was using red beet extract or something along those lines, actually. Maybe as a suppliment in some sort of organic grow. You certainly don't want a high pH below your root line, above it is fine.

These are the lights I've been using with great success...
I would love to run some UVB through my grow but I am currently utilising 2 large grow rooms so they are out of my price range for the moment as I would need 48 T5's. The UVC came in handy as a cheaper option.

Definitely a good shout though brother.✌️ OP would be safe to keep the UVB on a separate switch so you can turn them off when you're feeding or working or whatever in there. Also hazardous when over exposed. Failing that splash out on litres of factor 50 🥵

Latest posts

Top Bottom