Under act aphid infestation

• Thread starter Thrive1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thrive1

Thrive1

Can any one tell how good Neem oil and diatomaceous earth are for eradicating aphids please as it’s my first aphid infestation was also told vinegar will kill aphids and there larva on contact? I’m waiting for merit75 mon I would like to save my mother’s at any cost disposed of everything in my flower room brought a tear to my eye any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Purepiff

Purepiff

This stuff works and is at home depot. Better then anything u will find at the hydro store
Resized 20191207 200639

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

This stuff works and is at home depot. Better then anything u will find at the hydro storeView attachment 959527
This is cheap and effective, but it is not for edible crops. It says right on the front it is for ornamental plants. Who knows what kind of effect it is having on you. I am all for saving money, but truthfully its not worth saving a buck if its harming me in the long run. While hydro stores can be a bit expensive you will find the correct products rather than whatever is available. Home Depot, Lowes and even a lot of local nurseries are buying these products for the person maintaining their landscapes, not people growing edible gardens. Also go ask someone at Home Depot what works best for aphids, they will have no idea what an aphid is. If you ask the same question to the people working at your local hydro store they will usually have an educated answer to your issues, and that is worth the extra few bucks. Plus you will be supporting a small local business rather than a large conglomerate who only wants your money, they don't care if your garden stays infested.

As for diatomaceous earth, it may have some efficacy but only for anything trying to find its way into or out of the soil. Neem is not bad, I would personally step up to something like Azamax; its a more concentrated form of the chemical within neem that kills pest. However for aphids I do like some thing a bit stronger like spinosad or pyrethrin, both are safe for edible crops and are often listed as safe to use in organic gardens. Then there are plenty of options that are based on essential oils, like Trifecta, Lost Coast Plant Therapy or anything from Sierra Natural Science (SNS) that seem to be effective, but do typically require a few extra treatments. I personally apply combinations of all of these when I have pest problems.

If we only continuously use a single product to attack pests eventually the pests will win. Most people call these super-bugs but this is not true. All organisms have natural immunity, but not all members of a population have the same set of immunity. So some of the bugs will succumb to one treatment, lets say pyrethrin, but not all will be killed. A few of those bugs were immune to pyrethrin, and at least 25% of their offspring will have the same immunity. So when we come in a second time with the pyrethrin we may only knock down 75% of the population, then on the third application we only knock down 62% of the population and this will repeat until the only pests left are the ones with natural immunity to pyrethrin. So if we do a pyrethrin treatment, then a spinosad treatment 4 days later, then a Plant Therapy treatment 4 days after the spinosad, we will have eradicated pretty much everything and attacked any potential immunity and we should no longer be dealing with pests.

Once the pests have been minimized or eradicated then I use something like neem oil once a week (in veg only) to keep the pests from returning. If I can avoid it I try not to spray anything on my plants once they have begun flowering. Only if I absolutely need to will I spray plants in flower and at that I will not spray them past day 21 of bloom.

But truly the best way to fend off pests is to have strong healthy plants. Like us, if the plants are healthy they have immune systems that will kick when they become infested with bugs. With strong plants they will fend off the attack on their own or take little damage from the plants. One of the things you can do to give the plants immune system a bit of a kick is biweekly treatments with insect frass. The insect frass causes the plants to start producing chemicals within itself to repel bugs that want to come feed on them.

Last edited:
Purepiff

Purepiff

This is cheap and effective, but it is not for edible crops. It says right on the front it is for ornamental plants. Who knows what kind of effect it is having on you. I am all for saving money, but truthfully its not worth saving a buck if its harming me in the long run. While hydro stores can be a bit expensive you will find the correct products rather than whatever is available. Home Depot, Lowes and even a lot of local nurseries are buying these products for the person maintaining their landscapes, not people growing edible gardens. Also go ask someone at Home Depot what works best for aphids, they will have no idea what an aphid is. If you ask the same question to the people working at your local hydro store they will usually have an educated answer to your issues, and that is worth the extra few bucks. Plus you will be supporting a small local business rather than a large conglomerate who only wants your money, they don't care if your garden stays infested.

As for diatomaceous earth, it may have some efficacy but only for anything trying to find its way into or out of the soil. Neem is not bad, I would personally step up to something like Azamax; its a more concentrated form of the chemical within neem that kills pest. However for aphids I do like some thing a bit stronger like spinosad or pyrethrin, both are safe for edible crops and are often listed as safe to use in organic gardens. Then there are plenty of options that are based on essential oils, like Trifecta, Lost Coast Plant Therapy or anything from Sierra Natural Science (SNS) that seem to be effective, but do typically require a few extra treatments. I personally apply combinations of all of these when I have pest problems.

If we only continuously use a single product to attack pests eventually the pests will win. Most people call these super-bugs but this is not true. All organisms have natural immunity, but not all members of a population have the same set of immunity. So some of the bugs will succumb to one treatment, lets say pyrethrin, but not all will be killed. A few of those bugs were immune to pyrethrin, and at least 25% of their offspring will have the same immunity. So when we come in a second time with the pyrethrin we may only knock down 75% of the population, then on the third application we only knock down 62% of the population and this will repeat until the only pests left are the ones with natural immunity to pyrethrin. So if we do a pyrethrin treatment, then a spinosad treatment 4 days later, then a Plant Therapy treatment 4 days after the spinosad, we will have eradicated pretty much everything and attacked any potential immunity and we should no longer be dealing with pests.

Once the pests have been minimized or eradicated then I use something like neem oil once a week (in veg only) to keep the pests from returning. If I can avoid it I try not to spray anything on my plants once they have begun flowering. Only if I absolutely need to will I spray plants in flower and at that I will not spray them past day 21 of bloom.

But truly the best way to fend off pests is to have strong healthy plants. Like us, if the plants are healthy they have immune systems that will kick when they become infested with bugs. With strong plants they will fend off the attack on their own or take little damage from the plants. One of the things you can do to give the plants immune system a bit of a kick is biweekly treatments with insect frass. The insect frass causes the plants to start producing chemicals within itself to repel bugs that want to come feed on them.

Lol u are so wrong and misleading and this is exactly why people cant trust weed forums cus of people like you. For one the bottle is bennie bacteria and it doesn't have anything in it that isn't allowed in cannabis cultivation. For 2 use it in veg and early flower anyway and for 3 if u have a problem it needs to be fixed and the shot ur talking about doesnt even work for aphids it is for mites and pm lol ur answer was bullshit and I feel bad for anybody that wastes time reading or using ur advice. I am a result based kind of guy all the orga ic hippy shit sounds good and clean but it barely works and at a large scale it doesnt work at all. If u have a problem find the best way to fix it and keep it moving dont play with it cus before u knownit ull lose ur crop

B

Burned Haze

Root aphids or aphids?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I am a result based kind of guy all the orga ic hippy shit sounds good and clean but it barely works and at a large scale it doesnt work at all.
Pyrethrins, regardless if they are manmade or natural, are mostly considered safe but there are concerns about it's cancer causing issues and it is very toxic to bees and fish. I use foggers or hot shot strips, but I make sure that there is no exposure to stuff outside of the treated areas.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Lol u are so wrong and misleading and this is exactly why people cant trust weed forums cus of people like you. For one the bottle is bennie bacteria and it doesn't have anything in it that isn't allowed in cannabis cultivation. For 2 use it in veg and early flower anyway and for 3 if u have a problem it needs to be fixed and the shot ur talking about doesnt even work for aphids it is for mites and pm lol ur answer was bullshit and I feel bad for anybody that wastes time reading or using ur advice. I am a result based kind of guy all the orga ic hippy shit sounds good and clean but it barely works and at a large scale it doesnt work at all. If u have a problem find the best way to fix it and keep it moving dont play with it cus before u knownit ull lose ur crop
Here is a quick bit of info on the Bifenthrin that is in your product that is all beneficial bacteria.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/bifgen.html

Nope, not beneficials, its a pyrethroid.

You are right about only one thing, people really should not trust all they read on these forums. People like you who can't even do a quick Google search on what they are using post about what they want it to be rather than what it is.

Purepiff

Purepiff

Here is a quick bit of info on the Bifenthrin that is in your product that is all beneficial bacteria.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/bifgen.html

Nope, not beneficials, its a pyrethroid.

You are right about only one thing, people really should not trust all they read on these forums. People like you who can't even do a quick Google search on what they are using post about what they want it to be rather than what it is.
Ur right it isn't a bennie but it isn't harmful and is low toxicity, also snartass my weed tests clean and I never have any issues selling it. So all that type of bullshit ur talking is just for show. I can tell u that this shot works when the shit from the hydro store would not. I am helping the man out with real answers u have provided nothing to help this guy.

Purepiff

Purepiff

Also ur tent may be easy to keep pets free but when ur doing things on a large scale u need real results when u run into issues. I've never had aphids indoors just last season on my lower full term garden gave this a try and it worked and my weed was clean. I used it in like july. So if my weed tests as clean as the stuff u produce in ur 4x4 tent then why u mad? Sorry that the things u mentioned arent effective but forums are for learning and problem solving

mancorn

mancorn

Also ur tent may be easy to keep pets free but when ur doing things on a large scale u need real results when u run into issues. I've never had aphids indoors just last season on my lower full term garden gave this a try and it worked and my weed was clean. I used it in like july. So if my weed tests as clean as the stuff u produce in ur 4x4 tent then why u mad? Sorry that the things u mentioned arent effective but forums are for learning and problem solving

You don't even know what's in the product you're suggesting or what the problem is you're trying to solve. It's your advice that's complete B.S., not Smoking Gun's. The U.S. EPA classified bifenthrin as a Category C, possible human carcinogen and high toxicity to aquatic organisms. The OP never even mentioned if he had root aphids or just some rose aphid (which you can wash off with a spray bottle) or if he was growing outside (near water). Smoking Gun's advice is a hell of a lot better then suggesting spraying toxic shit on their plants, before you even know what the problem is. I fucking HATE hearing growers "running into issues" and be willing to poison people just to save their own ass. If things go south on you, you just have to suck it up and take the hit. (Same with the other nimrod posting about removing PM from his buds after harvest. That crap goes in the trash.) You don't just pour coal slag into your baby formula because you're short on powdered milk one day. Nor do you spraying toxic chemicals on cannabis plants. I seriously doubt anyone wants to buy your crap if they knew you were using ant killer on it.

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Ur right it isn't a bennie but it isn't harmful and is low toxicity, also snartass my weed tests clean and I never have any issues selling it. So all that type of bullshit ur talking is just for show. I can tell u that this shot works when the shit from the hydro store would not. I am helping the man out with real answers u have provided nothing to help this guy.

I would love to know what state you are in cause last time I checked Bifenthrin is banned in all the states that test. You wouldn't be passing any type of test. Not by a mile. Use for lawn and ornamentals is totally for cannabis.

"Not only is bifenthrin highly toxic to aquatic organisms, it has the longest half-life in soil of any insecticide currently on the market. " Totally testing clean..... Totally low toxic.....Totally isn't harmful.....

mancorn

mancorn

CANNABIS PESTICIDES THAT CANNOT BE USED
California Restricted Materials DPR designates certain pesticides as California restricted materials (3 CCR section 6400). A pesticide can be considered a restricted material for many reasons including designation as a federal Restricted Use Pesticide. Many of these products have product labels that clearly state "Restricted Use Pesticide.” Consult your local CAC to determine whether a product is a restricted material. Examples of California restricted materials include:
• Abamectin
• Bromodiolone
• Difethialone
• Bifenthrin
• Cyfluthrin
• Fipronil
• Brodifacoum
• Difenacoum
• Naled

California Department of Pesticide Regulation

Purepiff

Purepiff

Lol like I said my shit tested clean that Season. If I hear aphids I assume he doesnt mean root aphids otherwise he would have said that. Keep crying and acting all self righteous if u want to but like I said it tests clean so what that means is that if u take my weed and ur weed and test em they will come back the same and be as legal as any other farms. Really grow up and act like u have a brain. I def miss spoke when I said bennie bacteria like I said I used it one season a few times while on veg. Crucify me if u want but facts are facts and i dont give a fuck cus i make a living growing weed and only opinion that matters is the buyers.

Purepiff

Purepiff

I would love to know what state you are in cause last time I checked Bifenthrin is banned in all the states that test. You wouldn't be passing any type of test. Not by a mile. Use for lawn and ornamentals is totally for cannabis.

"Not only is bifenthrin highly toxic to aquatic organisms, it has the longest half-life in soil of any insecticide currently on the market. " Totally testing clean..... Totally low toxic.....Totally isn't harmful.....
I am in cali where we test for everything and to get weed legal here the ppms gotta be lower then most other legal states. So keep trying to use neem oil to fix problems lol have fun with that

Thrive1

Thrive1

Can any one tell how good Neem oil and diatomaceous earth are for eradicating aphids please as it’s my first aphid infestation was also told vinegar will kill aphids and there larva on contact? I’m waiting for merit75 mon I would like to save my mother’s at any cost disposed of everything in my flower room brought a tear to my eye any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Has anyone used this?? Going to treat my mothers now. Will you you posted on its effectiveness thank you for all your help

D7A3D746 C018 471F B404 25D3C6423CAB
Purepiff

Purepiff

If u use it in veg u should be fine no pesticide systemic or residual stays in the plant for more then 40 days. With intense light it is even less. Before u let these guys scare u just look up the pics of their plants and weed and then decide if u wanna give any credence to what they are trying to tell you. Just cus something says ornamental doesnt mean it can never be used on anything else it just needs to be used super early and sparingly but for real if the weed tests clean then what is the issue? For real whataburger the issue if it is no longer traceable in the finished product?

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
If u use it in veg u should be fine no pesticide systemic or residual stays in the plant for more then 40 days. With intense light it is even less. Before u let these guys scare u just look up the pics of their plants and weed and then decide if u wanna give any credence to what they are trying to tell you. Just cus something says ornamental doesnt mean it can never be used on anything else it just needs to be used super early and sparingly but for real if the weed tests clean then what is the issue? For real whataburger the issue if it is no longer traceable in the finished product?
So you want new growers to use a pesticide thats banned?

Top Bottom