Under Sink Reverse Osmosis System

• Thread starter Ddebrazza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Alright Fam, I need some help! I am getting ready to start my 2nd Grow and want to install a Reverse Osmosis System under my bathroom sink. I live in Arizona and using the tap water here is out of the question.

Anyone have any experience using these? Any specific systems you would recommend?

I was looking at something like this but I am unsure how changing the filters works, i.e how often I would need to change (how many gals/filter) and price.

Any feedback appreciated. Or is there perhaps another option for usable water that I am missing because, after all, I am still just a dumb ape with just a single grow under my belt.

Ponky

Ponky

RO to waste in Arizona is a bit of a waste of water. I would charcoal filter it. Test it's properties and adjust it to suit.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Alright Fam, I need some help! I am getting ready to start my 2nd Grow and want to install a Reverse Osmosis System under my bathroom sink. I live in Arizona and using the tap water here is out of the question.

Anyone have any experience using these? Any specific systems you would recommend?

I was looking at something like this but I am unsure how changing the filters works, i.e how often I would need to change (how many gals/filter) and price.

Any feedback appreciated. Or is there perhaps another option for usable water that I am missing because, after all, I am still just a dumb ape with just a single grow under my belt.
If you're just growing a few plants, household Ro systems work, The frequency on how often you need to change the filters and membranes depends largely on how many dissolved solids are in the water. If you have a ppm meter, you can check it yourself right out of the tap. When they start to get close to needing to be changed, the water flow rate will slow down, and it's pretty obvious when it happens. The household models have low gallons per day but that will be in the description. If you need something a little bit bigger, the Hydro Logic 1000 is a good option if you're growing more than just a few plants.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

If you're just growing a few plants, household Ro systems work, The frequency on how often you need to change the filters and membranes depends largely on how many dissolved solids are in the water. If you have a ppm meter, you can check it yourself right out of the tap. When they start to get close to needing to be changed, the water flow rate will slow down, and it's pretty obvious when it happens. The household models have low gallons per day but that will be in the description. If you need something a little bit bigger, the Hydro Logic 1000 is a good option if you're growing more than just a few plants.

I do have a PPM pen, but I already know Arizona has some of the worst water in the country.

I do not plan on going above 12 plants, which is my legal limit. I am just hoping the cost of replacing the filters and/or membrane doesnt turn into being a money pit. I would really like to stay under 200$.

The goal is to save money in the long-run vs. hauling multiple 5-gal drums of water into my place every day or two. And convenience.

smellis77

smellis77

Check out the HydroLogic micro 75. Its $100, its NOT FAST, the 75 is 75 gallon a day.... if you have good water pressure. It's designed for hydro, and the filter replacement cost is like $80/yr

I use it, and it gets my water down from 400ppm to 3ppm. Be warned, RO water required more pH adjustments.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I have the Hyrdrologic Stealth RO 150 and have been happy with it. It's slow but i always have a few 5 gallon containers filled up in advance. 5 gallons takes around 40 minutes or so to filter.

Be warned, RO water required more pH adjustments.

Mix a little of your tap water back into the RO water. I do this instead of using pH up and it works great and pH is stable.

Galvatron

Galvatron

The system in your link look nice and compact but you will be stuck with their proprietary filters.
Something like the following uses more convention filters that are way less expensive, especially if you get replacement filter elements in bulk.
The parts are inexpensive and readily available.
Also, the "waste" water doesn't, shouldn't go down the drain, use it for outdoor watering.
Additionally, RO water has no alkalinity buffer. (calcium carbonate)
You can top dress a little Calpril. (available at nurseries) This will help prevent soil pH from dropping, which can happen when using RO water.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Thank you for the info. I was wondering about the filters and how "universal," they were.

I had no idea they produced waste at all. Looks like I have some research to do.

Top Bottom