• Thread starter Observationist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thank you!!

Ever since I started growing weed, dabbled in psychedelics a little, got more “in tune” with nature and just love growing things now.

Cycle of life continues

Need more space so I can grow more plants lol

I’ll look around for habaneros next time I’m passing the garden section at wherever I’m at next, thanks.

Love seeing the comparison, so far the morning glories seem to keep pace with the weed a bit, everything else gets left in the dust.
I order my seeds from Johnny’s seeds, great selection and are highly rated by the homesteaders, I had around 95% germination from all seeds and tons more to go still can’t wait till it’s warm enough out to put the seedlings lol till then they stay under the leds in the basement, planning a 2nd grow tent for attempt at year round indoor veggie harvesting

Cat got into one of the trays this morning and wiped out a whole tray of smaller seedlings luckily they were only doubles of the tomato plants just in case I needed fillers… guess I may have to make a run to the local greenhouse if I need more lol solo cups are 10x dwarf lemon trees we wanna keep in planters around the house… just for fun

E665BE58 51B5 4586 B889 CDB3C78B91F8
40D7E40D 2A74 4490 87CF D5E13EFD5866
FC1F14E0 482E 4074 A2D4 5642F98B52BB
Observationist

Observationist

I order my seeds from Johnny’s seeds, great selection and are highly rated by the homesteaders, I had around 95% germination from all seeds and tons more to go still can’t wait till it’s warm enough out to put the seedlings lol till then they stay under the leds in the basement, planning a 2nd grow tent for attempt at year round indoor veggie harvesting

Cat got into one of the trays this morning and wiped out a whole tray of smaller seedlings luckily they were only doubles of the tomato plants just in case I needed fillers… guess I may have to make a run to the local greenhouse if I need more lol solo cups are 10x dwarf lemon trees we wanna keep in planters around the house… just for fun
Wow I love that, thanks for sharing, love the setup

I’ll have to check it out and those dwarf lemons are new to me, gotta check that out too

Pretty cool, though, how long do those take before they grow lemons?

I’d be pissed at the cat lol, one of ours killed a few of mine at the start.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Wow I love that, thanks for sharing, love the setup

I’ll have to check it out and those dwarf lemons are new to me, gotta check that out too

Pretty cool, though, how long do those take before they grow lemons?

I’d be pissed at the cat lol, one of ours killed a few of mine at the start.
They say 3-4 years, but other people say that lemon trees grown from seed rarely produce fruits, i guess normally cuttings are grafted to other rootstock, I just put in 2x dwarf peach, and 2x cocktail fruit trees (supposedly 5 different kinds of fruit from the same tree) and 2x nectarine trees as well as 75 strawberry plants , and am waiting on 2 red dwarf Alberta peach, 2x honeycrisp apple 4x blueberry bushes and 4x raspberry bushes, all the above where purchased as bareroot trees / plants, everything I planted already has come out of the dormant state and is beginning to show signs of growth and I did receive my dwarf lime tree seeds today too lol, gotta research more if those seeds could ever produce fruit if not Ill pick up some grafted dwarf lemon trees

my wife wants me to pick up a 96x96 tent, she likes what I did with my current tent, just trying to figure out what would be viable tent wise to go through perpetual harvests, I figured big rubbermaid totes could handle potatoes and carrots (root vegetables) but I’m thinking more of converting the basement into a full grow room I don’t think the high powered led’s we use for cannabis would be needed for veggies so I could multi tier levels for vegtables

Observationist

Observationist

They say 3-4 years, but other people say that lemon trees grown from seed rarely produce fruits, i guess normally cuttings are grafted to other rootstock, I just put in 2x dwarf peach, and 2x cocktail fruit trees (supposedly 5 different kinds of fruit from the same tree) and 2x nectarine trees as well as 75 strawberry plants , and am waiting on 2 red dwarf Alberta peach, 2x honeycrisp apple 4x blueberry bushes and 4x raspberry bushes, all the above where purchased as bareroot trees / plants, everything I planted already has come out of the dormant state and is beginning to show signs of growth and I did receive my dwarf lime tree seeds today too lol, gotta research more if those seeds could ever produce fruit if not Ill pick up some grafted dwarf lemon trees

my wife wants me to pick up a 96x96 tent, she likes what I did with my current tent, just trying to figure out what would be viable tent wise to go through perpetual harvests, I figured big rubbermaid totes could handle potatoes and carrots (root vegetables) but I’m thinking more of converting the basement into a full grow room I don’t think the high powered led’s we use for cannabis would be needed for veggies so I could multi tier levels for vegtables
Good read.

5fruits from one tree is pretty cool, I’ve heard about grafting before but recently been hearing it more and saw someone do it with a weed plant on Reddit, with 7(?) strains.

Where are the 75strawberry plants kept? Outside?

I’d like to try my hand at roses and berry bushes/grape vines.

You could probably use Walmart LEDs for some veggies lol

I wanted a 4x8 tent but I don’t have the space currently, so went with a 5x5 and my utility room is 3x7feet using about 3x5 of it for veg currently.

5x5 tent is flowering rn

Observationist

Observationist

Got the tent ready for the next batch

I’ll be moving AeroTote#2 in here soon, and I’ll keep smaller plants this time around in the tote experiment.

And I’ll probably start a bunch more 12/12 from seed depends, finishing up these flowers quickly/trying to then we shall see

Observationist

Observationist

Trying to get her to support her self.

Spent the last 5 hours or so fucking around with all the plants

Fuck these weak bitches

Smelling good and looking decent just floppy.

the one in right corner might test higher than my last unknown batch.

Observationist

Observationist

I’ve been playing around with 4-2 and 6-4 lighting schedules

They do stay in veg that way

and it gives it

Day cycle 4Hours
Night cycle 2hours
Day cycle 4
Night cycle 2
Day cycle 4
Night cycle 2
Day cycle 4
Night cycle 2

16 hours light/8 hours dark through out a 24hour period

I think it can be beneficial for a few reasons

Possible ease in controlling heat build up from lights, 2hours less of E usage

More “cycles” in a 24hour period

Photosynthesis -> Calvin cycle
4 cycles 4
So 8 “cycles” or phases in a day compared to just 2

Idk if this fucking matters at all, but when I first did it the plants seemed fine and were growing, didn’t seem any slower but would obv have to do a controlled test to see.

Does this make any sense?

Eitherway it seemed to be beneficial.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
In veg you have basically all freedom you want to play with the light times.
Looking good bro

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Good read.

5fruits from one tree is pretty cool, I’ve heard about grafting before but recently been hearing it more and saw someone do it with a weed plant on Reddit, with 7(?) strains.

Where are the 75strawberry plants kept? Outside?

I’d like to try my hand at roses and berry bushes/grape vines.

You could probably use Walmart LEDs for some veggies lol

I wanted a 4x8 tent but I don’t have the space currently, so went with a 5x5 and my utility room is 3x7feet using about 3x5 of it for veg currently.

5x5 tent is flowering rn
Yes the strawberry plants are outside in the ground I can’t remember the types of strawberries but it’s 25 plants of each variety 25x early season / 25x mid season / 25 late season I’ll have to check the tags for types

The lights those veggies are under right now we’re $65 for the set of 4 lights they are daisy chained together, or i can seperate them into 4 individual lights, the veggies seem to like them there all perked up to the lights and the least rice is double it’s size in just the past week lol, hoping to get them all outside in another week or 2

Observationist

Observationist

In veg you have basically all freedom you want to play with the light times.
Looking good bro
Meant to continue a little

I have tried to initiate flowering with a 2-2 schedule that still comes out to 12/12 over a 24hr period and, I only kept it at 2/2 for maybe barely a week though, so I was impatient and I didn’t think it would work because it probably really needs uninterrupted straight darkness to initiate it, BUT I was thinking once INITIATED MAYBE 2-2 would keep it in flower

Did not give it enough time to fully test it, will probably try again next time.

Observationist

Observationist

I was originally on 4-2 with this tote or 6-4 but I forgot to put the timer back to timer and not outlet on, so it stayed on and too much DLI

Observationist

Observationist

This “AeroTote” has 5 slots instead of 6
Will probably cover the cups to prevent algae this time, all the chemicals aren’t working

Eventually I want to add automatic 20-80 micron mist sprayers/water pump/ etc and actually achieve a true AE

I first grew in 2019 with FFOF, had an outdooor grow with some monsters in 2020 but that was a great learning experience as well and most got ducked by white powdery mildew

started learning about growing and all the different ways/medias of growing

Then naturally, I stumble upon aeroponics, a very advanced way of growing plants with perhaps, a high risk high reward type of way as well.

(Afaik)

it first started with, how do you grow plants in space? Aeroponics was the answer, super efficient for the plants when done right, requires no soil to haul up to space, less water/nutrients, faster growths, etc

So I read and read, have my soil grows start learning the basics, how to read the plants, terms, maximizing potential/growth rates, how it works, the mechanics, how to set things up, and so on

So then time to move to the next thing

Coco - hydro on training wheels

I start coco/perlite mix in some solo cups and begin with unknown seeds from my gf and start cloning.

Some start taking off, roots growing through bottom of cups, then I get the idea to put them in a tote, to start a chamber/res space for the roots

I start misting the roots and then eventually tried a res at the bottom of the tote when the one’s roots were so thick and all the way down to the bottom, and in the middle of teaching my self about coco, a little bit of aero and then hydro.

I’ve learned a decent bit due to this forum
And @Aquaman coco threads and whoever else has helped along the way, quite a few good friendly people here and threads.

Also Bruce bugbee is the man, the myth, the legend.

Haha

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

No shit, really? what a keen eye you got boomer.

more light isnt going to do shit when the environment isnt 100% perfectly controlled, i aint spending money on all that shit rn, plus theres atleast 1000ppfd, so im limited by my other factors rn.

you gonna buy me one? then shuddup.
Your buds look great. Not all ppfd is created equal. Better light would probably make bigger buds, but it won't make them any better. From the looks of your grows you have plenty, so who cares about yield.
I'm try to make the smallest plants I can. I don't care about yield- just quality.

Observationist

Observationist

Your buds look great. Not all ppfd is created equal. Better light would probably make bigger buds, but it won't make them any better. From the looks of your grows you have plenty, so who cares about yield.
I'm try to make the smallest plants I can. I don't care about yield- just quality.
thank you sir, no doubt a "bigger" light would help, but yeah gotta have everything else inline first anyways.

besides im content for now with what i have and working to improve.

the main focus is quality/experimenting/learning.

unknown #5 buds sizes are a little underwhelming, but they are the stickiest, still Dense and smell good, thats what matters.

the clone from the "Unknown mother" has some bigger buds but yeah, and they are all small plant overall, with not alot of airflow.

Last edited:
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Awesome, so you just improvised your setup along while growing out a bagseed?! You definitely got "the green thumb" (as we say here xD)
Ever since I came here to the farm I'm beginning to understand and upvalue the necessity of root oxygen in relation to plant health. Lots of good threads here, yeah and @Aquaman is pushing that over the top with his ever helpful insights. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it's been said cocos/hydro/aero has better growth?

My bad I'm in organic soil :((((
I think I'll ditch the fabrics again, plastic doesnt kill the hairs that much

Observationist

Observationist

Awesome, so you just improvised your setup along while growing out a bagseed?! You definitely got "the green thumb" (as we say here xD)
Ever since I came here to the farm I'm beginning to understand and upvalue the necessity of root oxygen in relation to plant health. Lots of good threads here, yeah and @Aquaman is pushing that over the top with his ever helpful insights. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it's been said cocos/hydro/aero has better growth?

My bad I'm in organic soil :((((
I think I'll ditch the fabrics again, plastic doesnt kill the hairs that much
The more “advanced” growing methods are just more efficient for the plant overall.

Mediums/compacted soil
medium less for example has no resistance for the roots, they don’t have to spend as much energy to grow and search through soil/or less (compacted media) for example where organics take some time to break down and be available in a ionic(?) form that the plant can uptake and utilize

Roots need oxygen
Air uptake is more abundant obviously if the roots are hanging out in air, with a micron mist/fog/30-60 micronsize droplets for cannabis root hairs(?) some plants are different)think I read one species worked with 80micron droplet size) to absorb the atomized nutrient droplets and them not bounce off of the roots.

Readily available nutrients
“Synthetics” or synthetic nutrients, liquid nutrients, salts dissolved in water, from what I understood from bugbee, are the raw elements, basically ready to go “already broken down organic matter”, or what essentially organics breaks down to.

I am just impatient, and I like the sophistication, and they can grow faster.

Those roots look healthy and colonized though.

Observationist

Observationist

If you don’t have a lot of time for plants, or if you don’t want to spend time with them

Organics are the way to go, can setup a 3/5gal of a good soil mix and just water every few days to week or so and just let it do it’s thing

I like to be more hands on and watch them take off.

Top Bottom