Using Ca Carbonate And Ca Nitrate

• Thread starter Billyboat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Billyboat

Billyboat

Quick question...

Last 9 months I switched from cal nitrate based cal mag product to a cal carbonate product...

I recycle my soil.

I want to switch back to cal nitrate but want to make sure that the cali nitrate and carbonate won't bond and do some crazy stuff on me in the soil.

Any ideas?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Quick question...

Last 9 months I switched from cal nitrate based cal mag product to a cal carbonate product...

I recycle my soil.

I want to switch back to cal nitrate but want to make sure that the cali nitrate and carbonate won't bond and do some crazy stuff on me in the soil.

Any ideas?
Are you changing from calcium carbonate because of how expensive it is? I'm a big fan of calcium carbonate just don't know enough about it yet. Subd. For sure .
I'm all ears

Billyboat

Billyboat

Are you changing from calcium carbonate because of how expensive it is? I'm a big fan of calcium carbonate just don't know enough about it yet. Subd. For sure .
I'm all ears

No I have a theory that the cal carbonate is not as readily available to the plant as cal nitrate is.
But I don't know.

I just felt like I had less issues with cal nitrate.

Natural

Natural

Don't know if my info will help, but I use CaliMagic (Calcium Carbonate, Mag Nitrate) first to my RO..then lastly I add Nectar For The God's PH up..is also Calcium Carbonate. The CaliMagic I use up to 5-6 weeks and takes care of those hungry Chems and OG's. I use at least 5 ml/gal. I don't think there would be any issues if I switched to CalNitrate, like CalMag+..just build it like you usually do to prevent fallout..by adding it first to your RO.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

No I have a theory that the cal carbonate is not as readily available to the plant as cal nitrate is.
But I don't know.

Im 99% sure calcium carbonate absorbs through foliage
And available through the roots I'm pretty sure because it's expensive and in many killer products for root drench

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
But I don't know.

That's not a theory, it's true. Breaking that CO3 bond is very difficult and requires some stronger acids, IIRC. That's the molecule you wanna watch out for--CO3--because that's the molecule that causes pH issues (higher alkalinity). If it's already 'broken' down it shouldn't cause a problem, though.

Billyboat

Billyboat

That's not a theory, it's true. Breaking that CO3 bond is very difficult and requires some stronger acids, IIRC. That's the molecule you wanna watch out for--CO3--because that's the molecule that causes pH issues (higher alkalinity). If it's already 'broken' down it shouldn't cause a problem, though.

Thats exactly what I've been looking for...thanks so much!!

In a batch of my recycled soil beds I was having some odd ph issues that I just couldn't put my finger on, and I think thats it, the co3 was building up and causing high ph.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's an issue I have to be cognizant of with my OD beds, because I irrigate with completely unfiltered well water and it's very high in carbonate hardness levels. Also known to be a problem in ag areas that are irrigated with ground water/aquifer water over prolonged, extended periods of time.

Billyboat

Billyboat

It's an issue I have to be cognizant of with my OD beds, because I irrigate with completely unfiltered well water and it's very high in carbonate hardness levels. Also known to be a problem in ag areas that are irrigated with ground water/aquifer water over prolonged, extended periods of time.

Makes perfect sense to me. I already have hard water (495ppm) and even though I filter with an RO, I can only get down to 100 ppm, so I think there has to be some calcium in that too. I need to get a water test done!

I need you as my full time assistant! :):)

T

toquer

How broad are the leaves? On my very narrow sativa leaves I get curl right away with nitrates, thus i made the switch, but on the indica's I'm seeing that I need to revert back. They are light green and run pH is not stable. Was using carbonates in my brew since that's made with RO.

Billyboat

Billyboat

How broad are the leaves? On my very narrow sativa leaves I get curl right away with nitrates, thus i made the switch, but on the indica's I'm seeing that I need to revert back. They are light green and run pH is not stable. Was using carbonates in my brew since that's made with RO.

Leaves are fat and healthy. My sat dom plants never showed any issues with the caco3 but it's my heavy indicas that seem to hate it, particularly my kosher kush and my other ogs.

Natural

Natural

You might be on to something I have nocticed some of the plants show hunger..and getting out of whack somewhat quicker than it used to sometimes..but, I do run mostly sat doms though.
So you going back with brotanicare or just straight powder Cal Nitrate?

N

nightmarecreature

It did not matter if I ran pure OG's, Sativa's or Indicas. If I used CaCO3 in my Cal/Mag or the Earth Juice PH Up, I noticed my plants yellowing. Im in coco coir and something is not right when its used.

Natural

Natural

It did not matter if I ran pure OG's, Sativa's or Indicas. If I used CaCO3 in my Cal/Mag or the Earth Juice PH Up, I noticed my plants yellowing. Im in coco coir and something is not right when its used.
Botanicare Cal/Mag, Calimagic and my homemade MBferts mix all work great and they are all nitrate based.

My CaliMagic says it's CaCO3..but has Mag Nitrate in it..I def think it's not on par with CalMag+..but with brotanicare I care more about dropping it from the reggie quicker. Though my hungry strains are harder to maintain than if they had that boost from the CalMag+..especially that Ewok and White AJ..hungry sativa types. I never accounted for it being lack of nitrate from the CalMag, but more not feeding them enough. Got me wanting to try a bottle of CalMag+ again..lol. I'm in BG soil..and not CoCo..I'm too accustomed to soil-feeding to try CoCo.

Natural

Natural

plus all that charging and rinsing seems like a pain..might try a 50/50 like Six does though..as a side by side. The BG is wierd compared to Promix..I like to use more ewc's in the BG. I've heard people say it holds more water..but mine likes to run straight through BG.

N

nightmarecreature

My CaliMagic says it's CaCO3..but has Mag Nitrate in it..I def think it's not on par with CalMag+..but with brotanicare I care more about dropping it from the reggie quicker. Though my hungry strains are harder to maintain than if they had that boost from the CalMag+..especially that Ewok and White AJ..hungry sativa types. I never accounted for it being lack of nitrate from the CalMag, but more not feeding them enough. Got me wanting to try a bottle of CalMag+ again..lol. I'm in BG soil..and not CoCo..I'm too accustomed to soil-feeding to try CoCo.

My bad you are right. The Calimagic does have CaCO3 in it. Its the only one that has CaCO3 that works fine for me. Almost everyone I know likes Calimagic and says it works better for them but I like the Botanicare Cal/Mag with micros in it more so.

I think its because the Calimagic is stronger.
Calimagic 3ml per gallon my ppm is 205ppm.
Botanicare 5ml per gallon my ppm 220ppm.

Its strange but other products that have CaCO3 in them have turned my plants chlorotic. Maybe everything is not created equal.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
One of the 3 methods to make Calcium Nitrate is to add Nitric acid to Calcium Carbonate. I don't think you'll see any problems. If you continue to see pH issues, just keep feeding caps teas and EM, that should help fix it.

@Natural, the days of washing and charging coco are gone, at least with the higher end coco. Just plant and start feeding.

Top Bottom