Using ebb n flow fittings vs Quick connects

• Thread starter CannaColorado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CannaColorado

So I am in the final stages of getting the MPB planned and then i get to execute : ) so excited, got some G13 x hashplant from sensi seeds i am gonna run because i have celiacs so thats the kind of medicine that settles my tummy : P

any ways i was wondering from yall experienced MPB growers what the main disadvantage would be to using ebb n flow fittings rather than those quick disconnects? isn't it like $500 for 10 buckets worth of fittings? I got plenty of ebb n flows from my rdwc system i am switchin over.

Thanks

B

Bobby_604

Wondering the same thing.

I think I read its about 80 dollars a bucket just for fittings. Im gonna run 10. 800 bucks total.

C

canaguy27

check out uniseals from dupont

im testing a bucket right now, so far no leaks. i would use them for drains, but not sure about feed. i think they can handle the psi

L

Lost

check my easy mpb thread in my sig for the ebb and flow how to.. Its what im running righjt now in my 7 tub setup..

E

easypleasie

The ebb n flow fittings work great and are cheap. Check outLost's thread.

I use 1.5" uniseals since I have larger drains and hard plumbing. Uniseals were a bit cheaper than the large bulkhead fittings. I use a 1/2" grommet and slide a 1/2" valve right into the tub for the feed line. Ran a test run for over a week and not a single drop leaked out. It cost me about $10 per bucket for two 1.5" uniseals, one 1/2" grommet, one 1/2" water valve and two 1.5" pvc elbows.

edit: add $5-$6 for an access hatch :)

X

Xceptional

whats the psi of the feed lines? the uniseal link says they are rated for 40psi. anyone have a idea of the psi of the feed lines with the standard used pumps?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I'm using ebb/flow fittings and they are working out just fine. I use O-rings on both sides of the fittings as extra insurance against leaks. Someone here brought these quick connect fittings to my attention a while back, they look similar to the ones dds uses.

L

Lost

Yea, I had to use hose clamps on my 7 bin setup. Im running a 2245 gph pump and it will shoot the lines off of the first few junctions if you do not clamp down the lines.

O

OregonMeds

whats the psi of the feed lines? the uniseal link says they are rated for 40psi. anyone have a idea of the psi of the feed lines with the standard used pumps?

Uniseals can be used anywhere in this system, nothing about it is actually high pressure anywhere near 40psi.

40psi would really shoot some shit off all over the place, it wouldn't be pretty.

N

noone88

I'm using E&F fittings as well. No problems. The quick connects are nice, but not necessary. Take the extra money (the price difference is significant) and buy a bigger water chiller!

N

nucleotide

I used similar grommets although mine were from General Hydroponics.
No leaks using a 1250 gph.

I think the ones you linked to look a bit beefier.
Thanks for the link, those might be useful some day.

D

doubleds

The reason for the quick connects is mainly for easy cleanup. This system has to be taken apart each time you finish a grow. When i first started i used ebb n flow fittings and they work good unfortunately they are the biggest pain in the ass there is to change out hoses, esp the 1 inch drain hoses. You will not be able to slide the hose off to change them, now you have to take a sharp blade, bending over cut each and every hose off. Sweating, back aching, slices in your fingers.... you get the picture.

All i do now is disconnect, throw them in a bucket and carry everything to a nice comfy place to work. Cut off the hoses and soak the fittings in white vinegar for 24 hours. Cut new hoses, place them on the fitting and carry them back and attach.

Beleive me mpbr's, WELL WORTH THE BUCKS !!

dds

D

dusty

The addage You have to pay to play truly applies to gardening ya'll..

L

Lost

i'm using e&f fittings as well. No problems. The quick connects are nice, but not necessary. Take the extra money (the price difference is significant) and buy a bigger water chiller!

werd!!!!

Amok cat
C

CannaColorado

I'm using E&F fittings as well. No problems. The quick connects are nice, but not necessary. Take the extra money (the price difference is significant) and buy a bigger water chiller!

I already bought this one a few weeks back

The reason for the quick connects is mainly for easy cleanup. This system has to be taken apart each time you finish a grow. When i first started i used ebb n flow fittings and they work good unfortunately they are the biggest pain in the ass there is to change out hoses, esp the 1 inch drain hoses. You will not be able to slide the hose off to change them, now you have to take a sharp blade, bending over cut each and every hose off. Sweating, back aching, slices in your fingers.... you get the picture.

All i do now is disconnect, throw them in a bucket and carry everything to a nice comfy place to work. Cut off the hoses and soak the fittings in white vinegar for 24 hours. Cut new hoses, place them on the fitting and carry them back and attach.

Beleive me mpbr's, WELL WORTH THE BUCKS !!

dds

definatley going to use them... $800 bucks is steep but god damn do i hate cutting my fingers.

C

CannaColorado

hey DD while i have your attention is the feeding regimen you provided on a .5 or .7 EC converison? if you don't know off the top of your head could you share the model brand of your meter and ill check

M

MediMary

I am going to be using the botanicare 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch bulkhead fittings... My question is When I buy the tubing should I buy 3/8" id, 1/2"od OR the 1/2"id, 5/8"od. for the 1/2" fitting.

Likewise for the 3/4" fitting would I use the 5/8"id 3/4"od, OR the 3/4"id 7/8"od

id = (internal diameter)

od = (external diameter)

Thanks Tons

L

Lost

Its the ID that the fitting are so 1/2 in ID.

I suggest buying the 1 inch ones. They are not made by Botanicare but sunlight supply.

L

Lost

1 inch drains and tubing. Perhaps run the 3/4 to see if it has nuff passive flow to match the active flow on the bottom.

Top Bottom