Using hydro nutrients in soil?

• Thread starter AnOldColdSoul13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Thats a very good point. Thank you
Cal mag def and abundance comes from various factors. The type of water you use depends if cal mag is needed or not, certain type of mediums such as coco/perlite it’s good to add some cal mag depending on water source and etc.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Cal mag def and abundance comes from various factors. The type of water you use depends if cal mag is needed or not, certain type of mediums such as coco/perlite it’s good to add some cal mag depending on water source and etc.
So it would probably be smart to either get my water tested for cal and mag levels, or keep some cal-mag around just in case?

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

So it would probably be smart to either get my water tested for cal and mag levels, or keep some cal-mag around just in case?
All depends on what your gonna use, if it’s distilled or RO than you need cal mag, tap water well depending on the source you may or may not as well their could be other factors that have to be looked into when using tap.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

All depends on what your gonna use, if it’s distilled or RO than you need cal mag, tap water well depending on the source you may or may not as well their could be other factors that have to be looked into when using tap.
I plan on using tap water. I dont know if rain water is a good idea, because i literally haven't looked into it yet. I havent started my grow just yet. Ive been getting everything ready first. I have a ph kit coming in the mail soon. The up, down, and tester.. Other than letting my tap water sit open for 48 hours or more and maintaining ph, i have no idea what im doing lol

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

I plan on using tap water. I dont know if rain water is a good idea, because i literally haven't looked into it yet. I havent started my grow just yet. Ive been getting everything ready first. I have a ph kit coming in the mail soon. The up, down, and tester.. Other than letting my tap water sit open for 48 hours or more and maintaining ph, i have no idea what im doing lol
Well this is the place to ask, is your tap water heavy in chlorine? We’re I live they use something else so regular ph is 6.13 ppm 110ish. So with tap like that I don’t I need to add as much cal mag since that 110 is like .5-0-0 npk.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Well this is the place to ask, is your tap water heavy in chlorine? We’re I live they use something else so regular ph is 6.13 ppm 110ish. So with tap like that I don’t I need to add as much cal mag since that 110 is like .5-0-0 npk.
I have no idea honestly. Other than looking it up online to see if my city has "water test results" or something like that, i wouldnt know how to even go about figuring out whats in my tap water. Im gonna jump on google real quick and see if i can find something like that. Recent tests, that is

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Okay i found a pdf on my local tap water levels. They've been putting chlorine in the water to combat some unwanted substance in the water supply for a few years now. It says theres an average chlorine level of 0.74 ppm. I dont know if thats high or low, but apparently there is chlorine in my tap water.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

well .74 off of how many gallons? Lol if it’s town base just get a good general reading of what it is ph and ppm, and adjust the feeding nutes according that what is needed. If it’s real bad chlorine you will need to bubble and or let it sit.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

0.74 is nothing. The max allowed is 4ppm and most are between 1-2ppm chlorine will never be an issue. If you can post the total dissolved solids, CaCo3, magnesium, sulfur, iron or the whole water report I can break it down for you.

If it's chlorine you can bubble it out completely and fairly quick.

If it chloramines you cannot and will need ascorbic acid or water conditioner to break the bonds of the chlorine and ammonium.

Honestly either way unless your using it to bubble tea then I wouldn't even think about it.

Last edited:
RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

0.74 is nothing. The max allowed is 4ppm and most are between 1-2ppm chlorine will never be an issue. If you can post the total dissolved solids, CaCo3, magnesium, sulfur, iron or the whole water report I can break it down for you.

If it chloramines you cannot and will need ascorbic acid or water conditioner to break the bonds of the chlorine and ammonium.

Honestly either way unless your using it to bubble tea then I wouldn't even think about it.
Are you saying you wouldn’t use tap water? In your opinion?

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Thats what i found. Me marking out the actual town has nothing to do with you. I have other reasons for that lol
20210220 210019

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Im thinking he means that the chlorine levels are too low for me to worry about it being too much.
You’ll be fine it’s like we’re I live, so if your gonna use tap just remember to adjust for feeding because your starting off with x of “”nutes ppm all ready. Might be able to get away with just a base micro nute

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

You’ll be fine it’s like we’re I live, so if your gonna use tap just remember to adjust for feeding because your starting off with x of “”nutes ppm all ready. Might be able to get away with just a base micro nute
Okay i think i get it. Basically tap water has different levels of different nutrients in it already and i just have to adjust accordingly. Right? Last time i grew (like 6 years ago), i had regular ol tap water, FF grow big, FF big bloom, superthrive, and miracle grow moisture control soil mix. My plants lived and did their thing. They could have done better, but i didn't kill them and the leaves kept good color and shape the whole time lol

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

is Chloromine “free chlorine?”
And if so is that bad for organic growing? Cause I’ve been to worried about the microbial life in the medium to use it. Lol

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Spot on just have have to adjust so you match the ppm and etc for the ti frame of growth, cannabis has 4 stages seed veg Tran bloom 5 of you wanna count ripe but that also comes down to other things. See I’m a hydro person and just getting my feet wet into coco/perlite grows it the cool thing that medium mix it’s kindof of like hydro since the soil is 0-0-0.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

is Chloromine “free chlorine?”
And if so is that bad for organic growing? Cause I’ve been to worried about the microbial life in the medium to use it. Lol
See that’s area, they use that in my local tap water with grape fruit seed extract “a free dose of hydroguard”. But it’s nots not the worse just cheap chlorine really, let it sit for a bit and if using any silica make sure it mixed well to reduce nute lock out.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Spot on just have have to adjust so you match the ppm and etc for the ti frame of growth, cannabis has 4 stages seed veg Tran bloom 5 of you wanna count ripe but that also comes down to other things. See I’m a hydro person and just getting my feet wet into coco/perlite grows it the cool thing that medium mix it’s kindof of like hydro since the soil is 0-0-0.
One more question and I'll leave you alone lol. Being that coco, perlite, and peat (im assuming) doesn't have nutrients in it, should i still wait till they're about 2 weeks old before i start feeding? Just making sure. I dont wanna starve the babies or burn them lol. I'll be doing autos by the way..

Top Bottom