Using Lasers for Plant Illumination?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Has anyone tried supplementing their plants with laser light? Since laser light is generally a small point, the beam would either need to scan the plant continuously or use a higher power laser to illuminate the plant with diffused laser energy. I wanted to try this on a few plants or branches, but I couldn't find a suitable and cheap laser. I'm sure some of these $40 laser light show units might work, and they have 3 different frequencies of light, generally between .6 and 1.6 watts/color. I'm not sure if the red laser is in the PAR range or not... same with the blue laser.
Any thoughts?

Habosabin

Habosabin

I wonder if you can burn off pests with a laser without to much damage to the plant material. Like a green laser or something.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I wonder if you can burn off pests with a laser without to much damage to the plant material. Like a green laser or something.
A green laser would be the best since plants reflect a lot of green light but bugs usually don't. This would make bugs more suceptiple t te effects of the laser. FWIW, you need about 2 watts of laser energy to burn stuff, and then usually only after a few seconds of exposure. You would need a pretty strong laser to zap a bug in the time it takes to do a single scan... something that strong would probably harm the plant too after a short time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom