Using Physan 20 for clone storage

• Thread starter delae632
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
I've heard of people using this stuff to keep un-rooted cuttings nice and healthy in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Anyone have any specifics on this method (use RO, tap, distilled water? application rates, etc.). I'm interested in it's use for shipping un-rooted cuts as well.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It would be nice to have a cloning sub forum.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
that's a good question
I have done 2 weeks with nothing but tap water..just had to change add more water every 2 days.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm sure a little h2O2 would help as well but I'm not sure if they can be used in conjunction.

Natural

Natural

It was because they drank it or it evaporated. I cut the stems really long and put them into beer cups. I don't think H2O2 will hurt anything..using clone dissolution rates. Be sure to put twice as many as you need up..some strains will fair better than others. It works better than I ever thought it would.
Maybe you can rig up a floating styro rig or a passive rez or something.,

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've heard of people using this stuff to keep un-rooted cuttings nice and healthy in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Anyone have any specifics on this method (use RO, tap, distilled water? application rates, etc.). I'm interested in it's use for shipping un-rooted cuts as well.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It would be nice to have a cloning sub forum.
Propagation, perhaps? But we don't want the site to become bogged down or too cluttered from too many sub-fora.

In any event, I would treat it much as how freshwater plants are shipped. They're set into rockwool cubes (usually not rooted) and bagged in a fishbag with plain old air, NOT oxygen (fish are bagged with O2). If it's very cold or very hot, then heat or cold packs are taped inside the styro box.

I've used Physan 20 for many things, but mostly for cleaning tools and areas, have not used on cuttings in a while. I have used it in the past in my aerocloner, and I'll have to double-check my use rate, I think it was 5ml/1tsp per gallon.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty

sounds like you might benefit from tissue culture! You can keep varieties just kicking it and alive for a really long time with the most minimal space and energy draw...it's easy too!

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Propagation, perhaps? But we don't want the site to become bogged down or too cluttered from too many sub-fora.

In any event, I would treat it much as how freshwater plants are shipped. They're set into rockwool cubes (usually not rooted) and bagged in a fishbag with plain old air, NOT oxygen (fish are bagged with O2). If it's very cold or very hot, then heat or cold packs are taped inside the styro box.

I've used Physan 20 for many things, but mostly for cleaning tools and areas, have not used on cuttings in a while. I have used it in the past in my aerocloner, and I'll have to double-check my use rate, I think it was 5ml/1tsp per gallon.

That's great advise Sea. The only issue I would have with that is that the cuts will need to be vac sealed for shipping.

A propagation sub forum would be awesome!;)

sounds like you might benefit from tissue culture! You can keep varieties just kicking it and alive for a really long time with the most minimal space and energy draw...it's easy too!

I would love to get into TC at some point baba but it wouldn't really help with my current situation. I'm interested in the fridge storage so I can mono crop easier. Otherwise I have plants off all different ages and varied root development. This "storage" method would just make life much much easier. I'd like to have as many un-rooted cuts on deck as possible so I can get them all into rw cubes on the same day. I'd like to be able to do this for those hectic weeks when I just can't find enough time in a day to take 100 clones as well. The only other alternative I can see is having 4 large mothers of one strain and that just isn't efficient enough for me as far as power consumption, space, nutes and time go.

Isn't this jackmayoffers thing?

I always wondered about this and thought, "isn't a fridge dark inside?".

He's one of several people that use this method. There was a thread on it somewhere but I can't seem to locate it. I've seen people ask questions on his thread at the mag but I believe they've all gone unanswered. Maybe I'll shoot him a pm. EDIT: Just found an answer in his thread. "Physan 20 at 5ml per 5 gallon soak cuttings for 1 hr place in plastic zip lock bag in dark fridge cuttings are good for 2 plus weeks or until you have time to root them."

From what I've read it doesn't seem that the dark fridge really has any effect at all. I'm guessing that I probably open my fridge 5-10 times a day so they would get brief periods of light but it's probably negligible. I'm wondering if the cold/dark combo is just putting the plant in "stasis" for a short while?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
That's great advise Sea. The only issue I would have with that is that the cuts will need to be vac sealed for shipping.

A propagation sub forum would be awesome!;)

I would love to get into TC at some point baba but it wouldn't really help with my current situation. I'm interested in the fridge storage so I can mono crop easier. Otherwise I have plants off all different ages and varied root development. This "storage" method would just make life much much easier. I'd like to have as many un-rooted cuts on deck as possible so I can get them all into rw cubes on the same day. I'd like to be able to do this for those hectic weeks when I just can't find enough time in a day to take 100 clones as well. The only other alternative I can see is having 4 large mothers of one strain and that just isn't efficient enough for me as far as power consumption, space, nutes and time go.

He's one of several people that use this method. There was a thread on it somewhere but I can't seem to locate it. I've seen people ask questions on his thread at the mag but I believe they've all gone unanswered. Maybe I'll shoot him a pm. EDIT: Just found an answer in his thread. "Physan 20 at 5ml per 5 gallon soak cuttings for 1 hr place in plastic zip lock bag in dark fridge cuttings are good for 2 plus weeks or until you have time to root them."

From what I've read it doesn't seem that the dark fridge really has any effect at all. I'm guessing that I probably open my fridge 5-10 times a day so they would get brief periods of light but it's probably negligible. I'm wondering if the cold/dark combo is just putting the plant in "stasis" for a short while?

Only way to test it is to try it. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think dark is what you want. The only problem I've had with the fridge is that it dries things out if it's just stuck in a cup in there. Double-bagging the fish bags works. ;)

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I have a friend who used to supply clubs with cuts and that's exactly how she did it....and I just recently read jacks thread and saw that's how he does it as well. The cold fridge not only keeps them in stasis, but if you have any mites on the plant....say goodbye to them. At least that's what I was told.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have done this many times. take some long stemmed cuts and wrap in a non bleached coffee filter/filters. I just wrap the filters around the stems a few times, then add some water and stick it in a zip loc baggie. put in the warmest part of your fridge. just so they don't freeze.
about once a week I change the filters and water out.
the longest I have been able to root from this is about a month.
2 weeks should be no issue at all.

if sending via mail, seal the bags but don't suck the air out. send overnight.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
I've started a few tests.

1'st was mailing a couple cuts to a homie (done and waiting on rooting results).

2'nd was seeing how long I could keep cuts treated with physan in the fridge before they wilted/rotted and still getting high rates of rooted clones off of them (kept in fridge for 17 days with zero signs of wilting or rot, said f' it and cloned 'em).

3'rd was just soaking cuts in the 1ml per gal solution for an hour, stored in the fridge overnight and cloned within 24 hours.

I'll do another test to see just how long I can actually store cuts in the fridge before they go bad with this process.

All cuts were soaked for 1 hour in a 1ml (Physan20) per gal (RO) mix for before being put in plastic bags and placed in the veggie drawer in the fridge. I opened the bags every few days to let some fresh air in.

I cloned the 17 day old cuts and the 24 hour old cuts on the 29th. Not sure what's happened with the cuts I sent yet.

I'll post pics and results as soon as I have anything worth sharing.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

^ this method works great, the longer you can keep um chilled the better, but they can last quite a while in the heat as long as they got water. Take it easy

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
The shipped clones failed. My buddy said when he opened the box they were a bit yellow. After 10 days he pulled one out of the rockwool and it had a callus but no roots. They got really yellow and droopy so he chucked 'em.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
The shipped clones failed. My buddy said when he opened the box they were a bit yellow. After 10 days he pulled one out of the rockwool and it had a callus but no roots. They got really yellow and droopy so he chucked 'em.

Yo D I'm a master at this...call me if you want help.

J

Jenny

Great info. When you initially soak the clones in Physan for an hour, are you soaking the entire clone or just the stem? Also, do you put the clones in a cup with water and then in a ziplock, or do the stems not need to be in water while they're in the fridge for a couple weeks?

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Great info. When you initially soak the clones in Physan for an hour, are you soaking the entire clone or just the stem? Also, do you put the clones in a cup with water and then in a ziplock, or do the stems not need to be in water while they're in the fridge for a couple weeks?

I'm not sure what people are doing exactly Jenny. I'm still testing with physan and the results are varied thus far. I've only soaked the entire clones in the solution and I think that's probably not the way to go. I only did this because Jack said he uses 5 ml of physan to 5 gallons of RO water. Based on that I assumed that he was soaking large amounts of them them in 5 gal buckets (which is what I did). When I placed them in the bag I used one of the corners of the bag as a small reservoir with a little physan solution in it and then I propped the bag up in the fridge so the ends of the cuts would be submerged.

I'm not quite sure where I've gone wrong here but my tests in rockwool did not work out very well at all. I actually got some bizarre but quick root action...just not where it counts.o_O I had roots growing on entire exposed stems but not so much inside the rw cubes. I'll post pics as soon as I can free up some space on my computer.

The ones stored in the fridge for 17 days ALL failed and the ones kept in the fridge for 24 hours had a 50% success rate so I actually only got a 25% success rate overall which is horrible. I usually have a 90-100% success rate with my current clone regimen so I'm pretty skeptical at the moment. Maybe soaking the entire cuts in the solution is really bad, maybe leaving a little physan in the bag is bad, I just don't know....All of the info I can find on using physan for cloning is super vague. Jack takes massive amounts of clones using physan with great results so I'm sure there's something to it but I don't see the benefits so far. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just not quite sure what.

I'm doing a side by side in the ezcloner now, 1/2 were soaked in physan for an hour and kept in the fridge for a week and the others were taken straight off the plant and placed in the cloner. So far the physan clones have rooted faster but look like shit (yellowing, wilting and burning) and the clones straight off the plant look great. Once all the clones root up I'll do a side by side in the ezclone with 1/2 the cuts soaked (stem only) in physan for an hour then placed directly in the cloner and the other 1/2 will be taken straight off the plant and placed straight in the cloner.

I'd love to hear exactly what some of you are doing when using physan for cloning and cut storage in the fridge.

D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't tried adding the Physan yet, I just stick 'em in a cup of water. Sometimes the cup goes into my veg-table-box, other times I stick it in the fridge, but I try not to do that because I tend to forget about them (garage refrigerator that I don't use often). I also tend to forget about them in the veg-table-box, but by the time I remember, they've usually popped roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom