Using snow for purified water?

• Thread starter Vexor1717
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vexor1717

Vexor1717

I haven't gotten an RO system yet due to space issues etc. I've been paying close to a dollar a gallon for distilled and purified water. It just snowed a shit ton here and I decided to test some. It read 6.9 and 11 ppm. Shouldn't that be totally safe to use? Of course I would test it each time I collect some. Anyone ever try this? Seems like it should work. If so ill be saving a lot of money for awhile lol.

BigCube

BigCube

I haven't gotten an RO system yet due to space issues etc. I've been paying close to a dollar a gallon for distilled and purified water. It just snowed a shit ton here and I decided to test some. It read 6.9 and 11 ppm. Shouldn't that be totally safe to use? Of course I would test it each time I collect some. Anyone ever try this? Seems like it should work. If so ill be saving a lot of money for awhile lol.

It should be filtered first. Just like rain water, snow can carry pests, molds and other contaminants you would rather not have.

chemistry

chemistry

What's your tap water like, mine is a PH7, 260ppm, I let it stand over night, PH it. All I use, and not had any problems with it. 👍

Homesteader

Homesteader

You can use it for sure. There is probably much less crap in melted snow than any city water. I wouldn't use anything but fresh snow though but you aren't going to get pests or mold from either outside of maybe a springtail? Rainwater in America use to contain a lot of sulfur but not anymore now that unsulphured diesel is required to be used.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Just to inform you that snow is not inert. It has insects, toxins and molds.
While I'm sure you could use it, much like you can use rain water. You risk issues due to the contaminants. A simple britta filter could save you massive problems.

I'm not saying you cant use it, I'm saying it's not optimal. You take a risk if you dont filter it. Indoor grows are at constant risk of pests, molds and other contaminants. Why risk it?

Homesteader

Homesteader

None of those bugs cause issues with cannabis nor will you find them in FRESH snow. Air pollution? You aren't drinking it man. Should I shovel all the snow off my garden to sanitize it too? Its all going to melt on my veggies?
Nonsense, snow is fine just don't take it from the snow bank and obviously don't eat the yellow snow.

BigCube

BigCube

None of those bugs cause issues with cannabis nor will you find them in FRESH snow. Air pollution? You aren't drinking it man. Should I shovel all the snow off my garden to sanitize it too? Its all going to melt on my veggies?
Nonsense, snow is fine just don't take it from the snow bank and obviously don't eat the yellow snow.

Yes, because outdoor vegetable gardens are so devoid of pests molds and other contaminants..

Look I dont care what you water your plants with. Dude asked a question, I answered it with links. IDGAF what you have to contribute. That's up to the guy who asked the question. Why you coming at me?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Yes, because outdoor vegetable gardens are so devoid of pests molds and other contaminants..

Look I dont care what you water your plants with. Dude asked a question, I answered it with links. IDGAF what you have to contribute. That's up to the guy who asked the question. Why you coming at me?
Not coming at you at all. Why would I? I have better things to do man. Like you said, you don't give a fuck what I have to contribute. So who is coming at who again? Get over yourself dude. I don't care about your ego.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Just watch out where the huskies go and don’t you eat that yellow snow!

BigCube

BigCube

Not coming at you at all. Why would I? I have better things to do man. Like you said, you don't give a fuck what I have to contribute. So who is coming at who again? Get over yourself dude. I don't care about your ego.

You replied to me directly man. 🤣

Nothing I said was wrong, yet you decided to reply directly to me acting as if everything I said was wrong.

Maybe you need to divest yourself emotionally from the conversation, look back at it devoid of your assumptions and conceived slights?

Anyways, have fun smoking all the bugs, bug shit, mold and pollution you want. 👍 I wont stop you. But please, if you're going to try to directly negate a post I've made please be sure to actually address the points I've made. Thanks 👍

Homesteader

Homesteader

You sound like a total winner bro. Enjoy your ego. I don't need it. You cannot even handle being pressed about your answer without feeling attacked? Sorry I hurt your panties bra!

Fresh snow is fine to use. If you're afraid of bugs in your snow water, then you should just go get a hydro setup because the soil is going to scare the shit out of you.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

For anyone who actually cares about their plants:

Springtails are mostly a nuisance pest, doing little damage to plants. They will chew roots in the soil where they're located, and can inhibit plant hardiness. But they seldom do major damage. These nearly invisible bugs do not bite or sting and are generally harmless to humans.

Mecopterans live mostly in cool, moist habitats, especially in shady forests near springs, streams, and rivers. Adults are usually found resting on leaves and other vegetation. The larvae usually live in the soil or leaf litter, although a few species are aquatic and live in streams. Adult snow scorpionflies are found on ice, snow, and stones near clumps of moss. Their larvae develop in moss.

Mecopterans eat both plant and animal tissues. The adults and larvae of scorpionflies scavenge mostly dead insects. The adults are known to steal insects trapped in spider webs. They also feed on pollen, nectar, and fruit juice. Adult hangingflies are predators (PREH-duh-ters) or hunters and seize aphids, caterpillars, flies, moths, and sometimes spiders with their hind feet. Their larvae eat mostly dead insects and some decaying parts of plants. Adults and larvae of snow scorpionflies eat mosses. Short-faced scorpionfly adults graze the surfaces of leaves, but it is not known what their larvae eat. Aquatic scorpionfly larvae feed on the aquatic larvae of flies (Diptera) known as midges, but the diet of the adults is unknown.

There is more, but this gives you an idea. You risk your plants health, your roots, and your leaf matter. Moreover you risk an all out infestation.

Regardless of who's telling you, do your research and inform yourself. One person's ignorance should not jeopardize your grow.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Think you mispelled BigEgo
Images

growsince79

growsince79

I know you were judt trying to help . Some people really get their feelings hurt easily. Snowflakes for snowflakes.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I know you were judt trying to help . Some people really get their feelings hurt easily. Snowflakes for snowflakes.
Yeah Im a snowflake bro. Just don't use me on plants when I melt. I am lethal.

growsince79

growsince79

Yeah Im a snowflake bro. Just don't use me on plants when I melt. I am lethal.
I wouldn't have a problem with using snow. Just making observations. Just the other day I hurt someones feelings when I suggested 20c was a bit cold and higher temp would speed growth. Or the time I told someone that todays seed company Acapulco Gold isn't anything like the real AG. Some people just get butt hurt way too easy.

Homesteader

Homesteader

You told them 20c was cold? Holy crap man. What are you thinking? Just kidding, I do Fahrenheit and don't have a clue what 20C is but yeah people are a bit consumed with their preconceived thought and dont like to be told differently. Its a world problem and probably due to the internet and lack of inward thought.

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
Sounds like everyone has had their dose of LSD this morning LOL

growsince79

growsince79

You told them 20c was cold? Holy crap man. What are you thinking? Just kidding, I do Fahrenheit and don't have a clue what 20C is but yeah people are a bit consumed with their preconceived thought and dont like to be told differently
its 68f, which most would say is too cool.

Top Bottom