Using Soil That Has Been Stored In Rubbermaid Trash Cans.

• Thread starter mike hunt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
I mixed up three batches of soil, that I never got around to using. I stored them in 6, 32 gallon rubbermaid trash cans. Two of the cans have a light moldy, skunky, cat piss smell to them.

Im sure that I didnt do the soil beasties any favors by storing the soil how I did. What can I do to make sure the life in the soil comes back?

Thanks, MH.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If they have a pee odor to them that's ammonia (N) going into the atmosphere. If it were me, I'd pull the soil out and mix in a new inoculation of microbes, turn it a few times.

S

slap14

I've had that happen in trash cans before to the point it smells like an outhouse. I just just dumped it out on a tarp for half a day raked through it every couple hours and put it back in the trash can. Did that a couple more times and it went back to that nice fresh soil smell.

Good luck

Slap

mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
I emptied out the cans on tarps and spread them out. Turned them for a few days, and put the soil back in to the cans. Seemed to help with the pee smell. Almost thinking about picking up a big smart pot or two and storing the soil in those.

Psychonaut47

Psychonaut47

Adding Soft rock phosphate before storage would have helped...I have the same situation that doesn't smell that bad yet but thank you for reminding me I should turn everything and add more from the leaf mold pile...

Top Bottom