Using Straw To Keep Plant Roots Warm ?

• Thread starter Totallynew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Totallynew

Hey all ,

So I have been told that if I use straw when growing in cold conditions , that it will keep roots warm enough to survive cold weather. Can anyone tell me anymore details about how I would do this ? I've also heard that using compost will help keep the roots warm also ? Sorry if my questions seem stupid i'm brand new to growing haha. Thanks for the help

G gnome

G gnome

U just put a layer of straw over the dirt/ around the plants.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Depending how much you need that would be fine, just going to be more expensive than a feed store.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

well look into indica dominant strains for them temps straw with a mix of compost and even mulches of grass clippings etc even cedar mulch is a great add on as it not only keeps in moisture and reduces weeds it also repels pests and fungus

T

Totallynew

well look into indica dominant strains for them temps straw with a mix of compost and even mulches of grass clippings etc even cedar mulch is a great add on as it not only keeps in moisture and reduces weeds it also repels pests and fungus
Do you have any specific strain recommendation for me to have a look at ? Also do you think growing in a multi purpose compost with straw and some other mulches will be enough to keep my plants alive ? Is there any need to provide the plant itself with protection? I.e covering with some plastic or other material. Also found in my research that wrapping the pot in bubble wrap helps keep heat in as well. Do you think all these combined will be enough to keep them alive ? Sorry about any stupid questions i'm literally brand new to growing haha. Thanks for any help

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Well this plant sees 0 - 4 degrees at night every night and 18 to 20 during the day
So your question is what is day temps to be expects anything below 70 degrees F plants metobolic rate slows down considerably so yields will also diminish
i would google northern colder grow strains afgansitans indica's are great for colder temps , northern lights , friesland purple kush, chitral kush strains MJ plants are rather a amazing plant that can handle lots of different temps if you google kush mountains you might be shocked in finding temps ranging for hot to extreme cold plants do adabt
IMG5041
IMG5043
IMG5034

T

Totallynew

Well this plant sees 0 - 4 degrees at night every night and 18 to 20 during the day
So your question is what is day temps to be expects anything below 70 degrees F plants metobolic rate slows down considerably so yields will also diminish
i would google northern colder grow strains afgansitans indica's are great for colder temps , northern lights , friesland purple kush, chitral kush strains MJ plants are rather a amazing plant that can handle lots of different temps if you google kush mountains you might be shocked in finding temps ranging for hot to extreme cold plants do adabt View attachment 635698 View attachment 635701 View attachment 635703
Wow , I always imagined MJ plants to only grow in 70+ degree climates but the kush mountains are a real eye opener. I know growing in a cold climate will be harder than a hotter climate but If some strains can withstand the kush mountains I strongly believe theres a good chance of growing in my conditions, which during the day is an average of 40-42 F and a 30-32 F night temp. Nice plants by the way man they look great. Of course good yields would be amazing but since i'm brand new at this i'm looking for experience more than anything else. I will definitely take a look at some of your suggested strains. One more thing just now to ask if its not too much trouble for you,
If I plant one of the strains you suggested in a pot with multi purpose compost and straw mulch. Will this be able to survive day temps of 32-42 F and night temps of 30-34 F ? And is there any other precautions I can take just incase ? Thanks for all your help man.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Seriously it going to be like watching paint dry for a new plant to grow it could possibly not even grow reason mine grows is it had months of hot summer growing now that she is in flower and fall like conditions .
plant has hardened up so it an handle some extreme temps ..
being my plants are older bigger means they can handle colder temps but you got to realize with colder temps comes real slow growth so my plants instead of lets say 8 weeks flowering time takes 10 weeks and
If my my plants had optimum temperatures which of course i wish i had the plant would be twice as far into bud production then it is now.
Seriously i would not bother trying it with a new seedling or clone its going to be to hard for it
You have to realize for every 10 degree rise in temps plants metobolic rate doubles .
In my case i expect to lose 20 percent if not more then what the plant is capable of if it was grown in ideal conditons , as in yield
thems the chances you take when dealing with mother nature she works in mysterious ways

This is one of my new strains and every strain , first time out door i let go naturally this gives me a indication what she is capable of
I know this plant now is a light dep plant that needs to start flowering beginning of August min month to month and a half ahead of nature ,,
next year she will be just that :)
My plant is on the lower end of speed being temps are cooler non of the less it will flower but much slower then usual right because its growing in the cold
but i would not suggest starting a plant off in them temps its just going to grow to slow she will be well frozen before you get it to harvest

PS: i have next 4 days of perfect temps i am optimistic and hoping she really kick starts and builds up there are still going to be some days like that but percentages vs sunny cold days are equalling not a good thing for a grower lol i pray to the heat gods now

just saying Good luck

Last edited:
T

Totallynew

Seriously it going to be like watching paint dry for a new plant to grow it could possibly not even grow reason mine grows is it had months of hot summer growing now that she is in flower and fall like conditions .
plant has hardened up so it an handle some extreme temps ..
being my plants are older bigger means they can handle colder temps but you got to realize with colder temps comes real slow growth so my plants instead of lets say 8 weeks flowering time takes 10 weeks and
If my my plants had optimum temperatures which of course i wish i had the plant would be twice as far into bud production then it is now.
Seriously i would not bother trying it with a new seedling or clone its going to be to hard for it
You have to realize for every 10 degree rise in temps plants metobolic rate doubles .
In my case i expect to lose 20 percent if not more then what the plant is capable of if it was grown in ideal conditons , as in yield
thems the chances you take when dealing with mother nature she works in mysterious ways

This is one of my new strains and every strain , first time out door i let go naturally this gives me a indication what she is capable of
I know this plant now is a light dep plant that needs to start flowering beginning of August min month to month and a half ahead of nature ,,
next year she will be just that :)
My plant is on the lower end of speed being temps are cooler non of the less it will flower but much slower then usual tight
but i would not suggest starting a plant off in them temps its just going to grow to slow she will be well frozen before you get it to harvest

just saying Good luck
Okay man thanks for the advice , kind of a bummer since the temps in my area are unpredictable and can be these temperatures all the time. I might need to find a way of getting some kind of stealthy greenhouse made , maybe i'll have better luck then. Other than that I can't really think of another way I can grow , until I get some suitable housing where I can have a small indoor grow which will still be a couple years at least. Keep an eye out for any other threads of mine as you seem very knowledgeable and no doubt I will have other questions haha. Good luck on your grows man have a good one.

G gnome

G gnome

Just so we're clear.... the straw doesn't get mixed w the soil.....its just goes over the top.

Also if ur trying to keep the roots warm....its better to plant directly into the ground as opposed to usin a pot.

U can cover the plant at night w a simple cold frame to keep em from gettin frost on em.
Shopping

Top Bottom