Using Urine as a Fertilizer

• Thread starter RootsRuler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Homesteader

Homesteader

Urine can be quite high in salt (5%+) so it isn't just the higher Nitrogen that you want to dilute. I have read that NPK is around 20-1-4 but that seems awfully high to me. I would assume 5-1-1 but I guess it would depend on the person and how much water they drink.

R

ritoMox

Urine can be quite high in salt (5%+) so it isn't just the higher Nitrogen that you want to dilute. I have read that NPK is around 20-1-4 but that seems awfully high to me. I would assume 5-1-1 but I guess it would depend on the person and how much water they drink.
"This winter, I stumbled on a way to easily remove salt from urine before using it as fertilizer for the garden. Just put the container of urine in a refrigerator overnight. The salt precipitates out and sticks to the walls of the container. You can then pour out the liquid and the salt will stay stuck to the walls".
Link: Removing Salt from Urine
Link: Can I use my urine as a fert
Link: Using Urine As a Fertilizer

Last edited:
R

ritoMox

Using piss as your ONLY nutes?

"Professional regenerative farmer here. thank you for this video! More people need to know about your urine. There are a few important points that have been missed… The fermentation works, but not worth the labor. 1 tablespoon per gallon is almost nothing. You are getting most of your benefits from all the other things you’re doing, not the urine. If your primary source of nutrients is urine this is what you should do: add one cup of urine per 1 gallon of water. For all watering. You can do this “ almost” indefinitely. I say “almost” because if you are primarily using urine as a fertilizer eventually you’ll get sodium and chloride toxicity (especially if you are in the southwest United States where the soil already has high levels of sodium and chloride). Sodium will block the uptake of potassium, and sodium stays in the soil. Chloride will block the uptake of nitrate, however fortunately chloride washes out of the soil when it rains. So if you are in a rainy area, the extra chloride from the urine will actually be beneficial. However the extra sodium will still be a problem. If your primary source of nutrients is urine, you should grow crops that are high in salt. Chard, beets, celery, onions, garlic, spinach etc. these crops can remove the sodium and chloride from the soil as fast as you are putting it in. Most other crops will not be able to remove the sodium fast enough and you will eventually have potassium deficiencies because the sodium is blocking the uptake of potassium". Link: Highlighted Comment

sambapati

sambapati

I have learned a few things in my years of marriage to make things go smoothly.....While not a written rule, I am going to assume putting piss in the fridge is a no go with my wife.
DID YOU marry the SAME woman as me? She would tell me to go (a) somewhere the sun didn't shine (b) to my room (c) do all the dishes (d) all of the above. I don't have a man cave either, my wife won't let me have one.

sambapati

sambapati

Urine can be quite high in salt (5%+) so it isn't just the higher Nitrogen that you want to dilute. I have read that NPK is around 20-1-4 but that seems awfully high to me. I would assume 5-1-1 but I guess it would depends on the person and how much water they drink.
If you R wearing depends it kind of defeats the purpose

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Did a few sprout and growtests on these gels as pure medium - everything got foul and died right away (lack of oxygen)
But surely helpful when rain is sparse

sambapati

sambapati

WOULDnt you be curious about how my mello yellow weed looks after 1 week drying time? 1 more week in paper bags, then check. Mayan brand finestkine report.

20220919 110056
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom