Utility Pump Specs?

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Long story short, have a crazy contraption that's powered by a 1/6HP utility pump from Lowes (Utilitech), and it works great - my only issue is that the pump eats up 600 watts, which for me in a non-med state is a little more than I'd like, especially as I contemplate having the pump running 24/7 (possibly).

So I've been doing some research and trying to find a comparable Danner Mag-Drive pump which will give me the same power and I'm running into some issues finding out the "power" of the 1/6HP pump - does anyone know how HP translates to head pressure, pumping height, etc.?

I'm looking at the Mag 1800 (uses 145 watts, woo-hoo!! - electricity savings would pay for the pump in a month or two) and hoping that would be enough for my needs - can anyone who knows pumps comment on their thoughts on this?

If the 1800 isn't strong enough, could you recommend one that (you think) is?

Here's a quick video showing the current pump in action and so you get a feel for what I'd need the Mag 1800 to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWEfZ_4tuY

Structure is ~7' tall and has 15 columns with misters which are each rated for 2.25 GPM (if that helps anybody out in sizing the pump I'd need).

Thanks in advance for your time.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
danner 1800 supposed to output 900gph at 10' in height.

pretty sure it is horsepower = gph * 12

B

Bobby Smith

Thanks for checking in, man - so, in your opinion, would the Mag 18 be able to power the system? Or would I need to step it up to the 24 or 32?

I realize that without testing you can't be "sure", but I respect your opinion and would love to hear your thoughts (bout to buy one so I'd like to know if I'm wasting money or not).

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks for checking in, man - so, in your opinion, would the Mag 18 be able to power the system? Or would I need to step it up to the 24 or 32?

I realize that without testing you can't be "sure", but I respect your opinion and would love to hear your thoughts (bout to buy one so I'd like to know if I'm wasting money or not).
The numbers look good for the mag 18.

Do not know if this matters, but pretty sure 1800gph is largest size in 3/4"
then steps up to 1" @ 2400.

p.s. I just saw the iwaki specs, head #'s are a lower rating. so to be safe, best to check into the "head". that seems to be the factor since your in a vertical system.

B

Bobby Smith

Thanks bro, really appreciate it - we'll see how the 18 does, and then I'll step up to the 24 if needed.

The Iwakis are better pumps (from everything I've read), but their electricity usage is 345 vs. 145 for a comparable Danner - in a non-med state and getting more and more paranoid by the day, trying to keep that electric bill as low as possible.

Thanks again, bro.

EDIT: nah, the sizing doesn't really matter - I'd actually prefer a 1" output so when I tee off the feed line into two 3/4" the pressure stays solid, but either way I'm sure the pressure will be okay (knocking on wood).

Being able to run it inline, I might run the sonuvabitch 24/7 because I wouldn't worry about the reservoir heating up that much.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Go for the 2400. I have the 1800 and the 2400 both. The reason that I have 2 is that the 1800 was not enough output for what I needed. Felt that I needed the 2400. Worst case is if it is too big, you use a fan speed controller and slow it down. I don't think that you will be needing to do that.

-TF

B

Bobby Smith

Thanks TF; might as well make sure the pump is big enough if I'm gonna buy one.

Top Bottom