vacuum freeze drying

• Thread starter please2waze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
please2waze

please2waze

Has anyone tried freeze drying their buds in a small negative pressure nitrogen flushed chamber? Have all the needed equipment, so when the time comes, will be posting results!

R

Redux

You're talking about freeze drying freshly harvested buds? If so not such a great idea IMO. What are you hoping to achieve? I have some experience working with freeze drying using commercial equipment.

please2waze

please2waze

Scientifically it is said that low heat over a small amount of time decarboxylates (removing additional COOH group) the inactive THC-acid into the active THC, and supposedly only 5% is even converted! Its possible that the added oxygen inhibits more of the acid from being converted while also oxygenating some into the less inactive cannabinoids. So thru freeze drying in a nitrogen atmosphere, the gradual increasing temp from well below freezing, to room temp, should help facilitate more of the acid to decarboxylate since the boiling point is lowered tremendously from the reduced pressure. Not to mention, retaining almost the same shape and size of the bud, with more pronounced colors. Plus the inhibition of oxygen might make it easier for the terpenes to isomerize into more fragrant polyterpenes.... Who knows? unless someone has conducted this before with undesirable results, no skepticism will deter from a positive goal. peace...

R

Redux

Always interesting to see people think outside the box but don't see how the freeze drying thing will provide many benefits. As for decarboxylation that occurs when you burn it or heat it up like in a vaporizer. Best way to make tinctures is heat the herb up in an oven, so you convert the THCA to THC (think that's it) then do something like an alcohol extract. You can get the exact recipe and directions from the Vancouver Island Compassion Society and it's called Cannamist.

For smoking I would think weed dried via freeze drying would be pretty harsh. There's great value in a slow dry. Honestly don't see how the freeze drying environment will do much. I hear ya on the lower boiling point thing under a vacuum but the stuff I worked with through freeze drying was done in 8 hours so not much time at those temps to do much of anything except preservation of sensitive and volatile components such as chlorophyll.

A

Attis

Scientifically it is said that low heat over a small amount of time decarboxylates (removing additional COOH group) the inactive THC-acid into the active THC, and supposedly only 5% is even converted! Its possible that the added oxygen inhibits more of the acid from being converted while also oxygenating some into the less inactive cannabinoids. So thru freeze drying in a nitrogen atmosphere, the gradual increasing temp from well below freezing, to room temp, should help facilitate more of the acid to decarboxylate since the boiling point is lowered tremendously from the reduced pressure. Not to mention, retaining almost the same shape and size of the bud, with more pronounced colors. Plus the inhibition of oxygen might make it easier for the terpenes to isomerize into more fragrant polyterpenes.... Who knows? unless someone has conducted this before with undesirable results, no skepticism will deter from a positive goal. peace...

This seems like it could turn out higher levels of THC since as you said, you would in theory be isolating or maybe even discarding some of the oxygen that would normally degrade it.

Also, if the reduced pressure truly lowers the boiling point, then it would seem to make sense that decarboxylation would occur more rapidly. Then again, you may also be effecting the other end of the spectrum of turning the THC-A into good ol' delta-9 and by lowering the boiling point you also lower the threshold needed to vaporize them.

Good luck figuring this one out. Let us know what you find. Makes you think though.

-A

R

Redux

This seems like it could turn out higher levels of THC since as you said, you would in theory be isolating or maybe even discarding some of the oxygen that would normally degrade it.
Compared to many people I pick my stuff early like at 10% amber. Some have said that the trichs will continue to 'mature' through the drying process a bit but never really looked into it. Also have heard that THC levels are highest at the butt crack of dawn so best to pick before any light hits the plant with a drop in THC of a % or two later in the day. I always cut after a dark period and dried and cured sans light. Once cured I always vacuum pack.

Morgan121

Morgan121

What about the - medical marijuana oil process - usually you need solvent to dissolve the THC off the plant - then you burn off the solvent with heat ---

What if you stripped the THC off with something less abrasive to both you and the THC -- then use the freeze dried method to extract the water..

the medium used to extract the THC = ???

I understand that most people tend to prefer subcritical CO2 extraction because it gives a lighter colored extract, fewer waxes and resins, and retains significantly more volatile oils compared to supercritical CO2 extraction..

CO2 functions as a solvent when it is heated or cooled and pushed through the flower at high (supercritical) or low (subcritial) pressures. In fact, 95% of the cannabis extractions right now are done in the subcritical phase.

Any thought ?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Compared to many people I pick my stuff early like at 10% amber.e at 10% amber. Some have said that the trichs will continue to 'mature' through the drying process a bit but never really looked into it. Also have heard that THC levels are highest at the butt crack of dawn so best to pick before any light hits the plant with a drop in THC of a % or two later in the day. I always cut after a dark period and dried and cured sans light. Once cured I always vacuum pack.

One of the very first things I learned here on The Farm--
I'd been doing just the opposite for, ah, ages...

TerpineFlux

Last edited:
Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Used to get freeze dried shrooms.
REALLY dry and crunchy.
Great for shrooms, bad for bud.
Too much chlorophyll, and less flavor due to a lack of cure.
Talk to the cartels, they know all the corner cutting ways to make weed shitty...

Note:thats not a crack at anyone but cartels.
Peace

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Yea, I think alot of thr terpines ect would suffer for it. Along with preserving the chlorophyll and ( please correct me) starches and such that get broken down during cure.
Mabey freeze dry after cure....
I like the nitrogen thing though,
I think it might keep fragrence and taste in stasis. No oxygen and such in air to react with until opened.
Imagine opening a vac bag, and it takes a couple seconds to smell.

Top Bottom