Vacuum Purging

• Thread starter FreshSteppin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dankroom

Errl shots

Once you have several runs under youre belt you realize the color alone will tell you if you have a clean product or not !

IMG00121 20110421 1348 1
Grapestomperwax
SOURGRAPEWAX
Trainwreckshatter
B

Buddy Hemphill

I hate to throw this out there...but thats a waste of money period. Once you have your'e "run" vaped off. Just toss the whole shebang ( glass plate and all) into a 140* oven and bake it for 1-2hours (strain dependent). Scrape (while warm) into youre final dish and youre done.

#1 reason for me switching to errl was supported by Granny Storm Crow. "Once you remove plant material and butane you have essentially removed any CHANCE OF CANCER.

Wrong. Unless we are talking about ONE can of Vector. 2 cases wont purge out in a couple of hours at 140.....you are gonna have people smoking butane.

You cant get all the butane out of a bigger run without much longer time under the heat,,,,or vacuum Preferably both.

D

Dankroom

Wrong......It will !
Butane boils off at 32*f ! So even at room temp it will vape off ! Not that I would want to wait hours for this to occur. .
I have done a case run before and it still only took 90 minutes @140*f I had this tested as well , not only for purity ! The reason people use heat is to do it in a more timely manner. Hence people boiling water, etc.

C

critter1685

You guys need too do smaller runs and just more of them.if your trying to purge a case at a time I hope you sprayed it onto a sliding glass door to have enough surface area to purge good.

B

Buddy Hemphill

Wrong......It will !
Butane boils off at 32*f ! So even at room temp it will vape off ! Not that I would want to wait hours for this to occur. .
I have done a case run before and it still only took 90 minutes @140*f I had this tested as well , not only for purity ! The reason people use heat is to do it in a more timely manner. Hence people boiling water, etc.

If you think a case of tane will vape off in 90 minutes at 140....you are smoking petroleum distillates. I say this for your own good. I am not trying to prove a point. Unless you are using a glass door, that isnt happening.

How did you have it tested?

E

edux10

nice setup greywolf!

I hear those pumps are the shit to use. Those are for the big boys :lol: be careful of any vac explosions with larger runs!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Nice oil and setup GW! what other apparatus's do you have goin there besides the soxhlet with a coil condenser in it? and what kind of returns are you getting on the solvent used/quality of oil? Take it easy man, hope your medicines treatin you good. :bong-hits: :indifferent0023:

Thanks bro! Ummm, various glass ware as required. Besides Graham condensers we use Alhins, and other supportive equipment. One of our members is a biochemistry student, whom also brings DNA sequencing equipment, et al.

We also use a butane extraction and recycle system that does a better job than using polar solvents like alcohol.

Soxhleting returns are inflated because it also extracts a bunch of non active ingredients. Best yield is around 30%.

Our very best extraction using our butane extraction and recycle system is 22.2%, but pristine. Our single pass butane systems were closer to 10%.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i just got a few runs on a strain, 6.75 6.8 and 6.8 on single pass butane system, from three different 28 gram lots. just around 24.2%. i am surprised you had so low on single pass, its not common to get only ten %. i wont use any strain that yields that much only.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Yeah as would I, looks like you got a damn lab in your garage. How did you even score all that glassware are you a chemist or chem licensed?

Most of our glass ware was donated to us by friends whom were retired chemists and the rest came out of our weekly allowances.

I'm a retired manufacturing engineer. I took chemistry and physics, but do not have any degrees in it.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I hate to throw this out there...but thats a waste of money period. Once you have your'e "run" vaped off. Just toss the whole shebang ( glass plate and all) into a 140* oven and bake it for 1-2hours (strain dependent). Scrape (while warm) into youre final dish and youre done.

#1 reason for me switching to errl was supported by Granny Storm Crow. "Once you remove plant material and butane you have essentially removed any CHANCE OF CANCER.

An interesting position!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Wrong......It will !

Before developing our vacuum butane extraction and recovery system, we used a 250F hot oil bath to boil off the butane and it works well.

Using a vacuum simply allows you to boil off the solvent at a lower temperature, so as to preserve the THCA and minimize conversion of THC to CBN.

The desired end product dictates our process, and we use what ever is required, as opposed to embracing anyones fixed process.

Graywolf

Graywolf

nice setup greywolf!

I hear those pumps are the shit to use. Those are for the big boys :lol: be careful of any vac explosions with larger runs!!

Thanks bro!

The pumps are easy to use, but the seals wear out fast when run dry at high vacuum, so one could call that the shits. My first refrigerant recovery pump lasted less than 4 hours, but the current one is over 500 hours without any issues.

Explosions are a function of fuel, oxygen, and an ignition source. Oxygen is notably absent in a 29.9 inch Hg vacuum and attention to possible ignition sources makes an explosion unlikely.

Good point that using flammable solvents requires close attention to details to win, but the rewards can be huge!

B

BipolarHiRoller

Had my first 2 pumps not work right out of the box. Screw harbor freight but they are cheap.

I'm actually doing a case at a time, running a trim mix that actually wound up having a ton of buds. I did an initial hot tap water purge then I've been vaccing and heating with a hot rice pack and the sun and only 30 seconds in the oven. Spend 24 hours+ per batch, rotating them in and out of the sun and vac. Even when it starts to look nice a sun bath and a vac later it looks nicer. Burning extremely smooth and tastes extremely strong and packs a nice lung expansion. Color is a nice dark honey.

L

LuvBudz13

I'm about to try this for the first time soon, I am curious about the vacuum effect on the THC. If the vac lowers the boiling temp of the solvents, and water, etc. how does the THC stay protected in this process? I want to find the cleanest, purest, most potent product possible, regardless of method.

squiggly

squiggly

The boiling point of THC is significantly higher than that of any of the solvents to be purged. To induce boiling of THC under low heat one would need to pull a monster of a vacuum.

B

blueburnsorange

I'm about to try this for the first time soon, I am curious about the vacuum effect on the THC. If the vac lowers the boiling temp of the solvents, and water, etc. how does the THC stay protected in this process? I want to find the cleanest, purest, most potent product possible, regardless of method.

What method are you going to try? Are you going to start out with a hand-pump or go full out and get the 2-stage vac pump?

L

LuvBudz13

What method are you going to try? Are you going to start out with a hand-pump or go full out and get the 2-stage vac pump?

Im going with the brake bleeder hand pump, given it gets better vacuum than the cheap, food saver types, and still affordable. This will be the first BHO run also, I'm gathering materials now. Trying to move more towards, concentrates, edibles, and vaporizing, rather than straight smoking all the time. :bong2:

B

blueburnsorange

Im going with the brake bleeder hand pump, given it gets better vacuum than the cheap, food saver types, and still affordable. This will be the first BHO run also, I'm gathering materials now. Trying to move more towards, concentrates, edibles, and vaporizing, rather than straight smoking all the time. :bong2:

Gotcha, people recommend the mityvac but the handle will break eventually. I bought another hand pump like a mityvac but couldn't get above 27hg

@Ratsalad, I don't think that will cut it - if you are really serious, get something more like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/two-stage-3-cfm-air-vacuum-pump-66466.html and use 1/4" tubing. Otherwise, more like what LuvBudz is doing.

Top Bottom