Variety’s seed selecting and pollination thread

• Thread starter Trustfall
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Well holy shit I just figured out how to shoot in 😅🌱🎥4K ! Longer uploads but it’s worth it.
Coming to the end here guys on the watermelonz x grape cream cake f2’s. I’m able to spot the stunners now around week 2-3 pretty easy now. That feels good lol. Before I was like no have to keep backup on everything until they have been in a jar a few weeks.
I love both these phenos #2 and #10. Gonna be a stand off in the jars and most likely will run them side by side in coco before I make a decision. The density, trich coverage calx apearance making me very happy.
The Grape cream cake is a nice strain, if I give apple fritters a 3 on high gcc would be closer to a 6 with less points on yield about a 7 and probably the same with the terp level. So it’s prettty well balanced. I never got to try the Wz I used in this cross as it dudded out on me, even the one I pollinated. Bad summer of gnats and disease but the fruits are here😁 and they ain’t diseased 🤣
First up number 2 second number 10
So nice.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Trust, I like the fabric pots and peat pods. That's how I plan to roll this season with all the breeding I have planned.
I have not done seeds In The peat pods yet. All clones get rooted in them though. For seeds I’ve been doing 24-48 hours in shot glass of water, if the haven’t cracked then into a moist paper towel. It this route isn’t working for some harder to crack beans. My loompa wedding cake beans wouldn’t crack at all and some were molding, so I decided to just plant them and got 5 out of about 20 to break the surface so far hoping for at least a few more.

A

amp244

I do clones and seeds in them. A lot of times I'll do the paper towel first until it germs and then I carefully place it in the pod.

I've seen people manually crack seeds that are old. I've got one of those seed crackers packed away somewhere. I'm in the process of moving across the country from cali back to Virginia where I am originally from, so I've got no idea where any of my stuff is until it all gets unpacked.

It can also help to make a kelp tea to soak the seeds in. I grow organically so kelp meal is a huge part of my regimen. It is full of plant hormones, vitamins, aminos, minerals, etc. and these help the germination.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Well, the male Oaxaca (Bruce) went full Caitlyn on me🤷🏼‍♂️. Damn her! First time I’ve seen this, was full male earlier in flower.
9EFB8418 7392 4D2C B043 3FB3F485DE46
D0B2BABD FC34 4A21 9970 2B8D6239D38A

Good news though female is strong and still acting a lady.🙂 3 gallon pot too small have to water it everyday already almost about to start week 4. She gets pissed when I let her dry out, lost a few leaves and burnt s top leaf but she is back.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

There are some that would say pistil packing male is the one you want to breed with in equatorial varieties. Its so female even the males look female. Would rather have that than the opposite, right?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
There are some that would say pistil packing male is the one you want to breed with in equatorial varieties. Its so female even the males look female. Would rather have that than the opposite, right?
Think I should go ahead and collect the pollen maybe try it on a few things? Fucker is stingy with the man juice but then again it seems like a longgggg flowering strain so I might be acting too impatient. This is the first time I’ve seen a male throw the female pistols.

P

Pike

Think I should go ahead and collect the pollen maybe try it on a few things? Fucker is stingy with the man juice but then again it seems like a longgggg flowering strain so I might be acting too impatient. This is the first time I’ve seen a male throw the female pistols.
Had one bro, and yeah it’s said a male shooting pistils is useful, mine wasn’t, wrecked the line in the next gen, and nanas everywhere. Your plant maybe different next gen, if ya have the room and time to dork with it, have a go.

personally I just don’t mess with plants producing bananas or balls that shouldn’t. I really feel it just comes back to haunt you.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Had one bro, and yeah it’s said a male shooting pistils is useful, mine wasn’t, wrecked the line in the next gen, and nanas everywhere. Your plant maybe different next gen, if ya have the room and time to dork with it, have a go.

personally I just don’t mess with plants producing bananas or balls that shouldn’t. I really feel it just comes back to haunt you.
I’ll pollinate the original diesel with it and see what happens.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Original diesel x grape cream cake f2 day 19. @ChinGreasy I only had two females but this one looking killer bro. If you see any with the variegation in the leaves those are more OD leaning.

7BDF8E8F 94AB 4DA3 97D6 4694372E0735
7F099EB0 909B 475A AED9 42FC87F5B501
A075AF8C FD6D 4261 9D60 D4FA4FC119E3
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

The thinking was you have a line so inclined to be female, even the males showed female in these equatorial lines.
Is this line worked for inside yet or you working a wild outside line? Are you running your lights 10/14 on/off?
How many males of this line have you seen? Are all of them like this or is it just an odd throw?
Are the females stable? What's the ratio if no?
That's the key, female stability and the frequency of the male doing this. @Pike has a very valid point to consider, time and space and other lines you are wanting to work.
To me a one time pollen dump of a hard to get variety is worth it just for preservation and head stash, stable or not.
Saving pollen for known stable line crosses (elite clones) is a good option as well if for nothing else but seeing F1 vigor.

I'm sitting on some wild out door lines that might throw a seed or two per pound outside, but bring them indoors and it's nanna city. Time and space, man.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
The thinking was you have a line so inclined to be female, even the males showed female in these equatorial lines.
Is this line worked for inside yet or you working a wild outside line? Are you running your lights 10/14 on/off?
How many males of this line have you seen? Are all of them like this or is it just an odd throw?
Are the females stable? What's the ratio if no?
That's the key, female stability and the frequency of the male doing this. @Pike has a very valid point to consider, time and space and other lines you are wanting to work.
To me a one time pollen dump of a hard to get variety is worth it just for preservation and head stash, stable or not.
Saving pollen for known stable line crosses (elite clones) is a good option as well if for nothing else but seeing F1 vigor.

I'm sitting on some wild out door lines that might throw a seed or two per pound outside, but bring them indoors and it's nanna city. Time and space, man.
Thank you for your reply first of all.
No it has not been worked for indoors, and I’m running 12/12. I know a lot of the sativa guys are doing the 10/14 or 11/13 but for my situation having the room pay the bills I can’t do anything that’s going to early ripen or shorten my yields of the poly’s.
I know running them 12/12 is going to take longer but I do have two rooms so as this one finishes up I can put her in the other room as it starts flowering.
This is the first test run for these beans and I ended up with 1 f 2 m as they were a bit difficult to germ.(did not like the wet paper towel for germinating at all). This male was growing much stronger then the other so culled the other.
so far the female is doing fantastic, a bit picky on the dry out so been trying to not let her dry with drooping leaves. I think the 3 gallon pot was to small for this plant.
I like your take on how many are doing this, to find the first male doing this is interesting and I think I need to look deeper.
I still have more seeds to look through so this is just a peak, I will wait and see how this female does before popping any more.
These came from a friend who lives in Oaxaca(from Virginia), he’s in with all the locals down there who are not on the internet. From caving to the mezcal farmers to the sativa farmers. I’m not a drinker but the mezcal he brought up was serious lol. Little sample bottles he brought from a mezcal farmer get together like we do with weed. These guys aren’t even on the internet so unless your in with them these are not going to be found anywhere.
I’m a long time grower but very new to breeding and may be jumping in to deep but duck it. I want to shorten the flowering time of some rarer sativas with shorter flowering sativa leaning highs from plants like original diesel. It worked well with the Molokai frost, but that’s not a full wild sativa either. Just did the PNG x Kashmir to the od as well but again that’s not a full wild sativa.
Any advice or opinions good or bad I will take it and appreciate it.
The market is so flooded with boring heavy indica and I want different.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Thank you for your reply first of all.
No it has not been worked for indoors, and I’m running 12/12. I know a lot of the sativa guys are doing the 10/14 or 11/13 but for my situation having the room pay the bills I can’t do anything that’s going to early ripen or shorten my yields of the poly’s.
I know running them 12/12 is going to take longer but I do have two rooms so as this one finishes up I can put her in the other room as it starts flowering.
This is the first test run for these beans and I ended up with 1 f 2 m as they were a bit difficult to germ.(did not like the wet paper towel for germinating at all). This male was growing much stronger then the other so culled the other.
so far the female is doing fantastic, a bit picky on the dry out so been trying to not let her dry with drooping leaves. I think the 3 gallon pot was to small for this plant.
I like your take on how many are doing this, to find the first male doing this is interesting and I think I need to look deeper.
I still have more seeds to look through so this is just a peak, I will wait and see how this female does before popping any more.
These came from a friend who lives in Oaxaca(from Virginia), he’s in with all the locals down there who are not on the internet. From caving to the mezcal farmers to the sativa farmers. I’m not a drinker but the mezcal he brought up was serious lol. Little sample bottles he brought from a mezcal farmer get together like we do with weed. These guys aren’t even on the internet so unless your in with them these are not going to be found anywhere.
I’m a long time grower but very new to breeding and may be jumping in to deep but duck it. I want to shorten the flowering time of some rarer sativas with shorter flowering sativa leaning highs from plants like original diesel. It worked well with the Molokai frost, but that’s not a full wild sativa either. Just did the PNG x Kashmir to the od as well but again that’s not a full wild sativa.
Any advice or opinions good or bad I will take it and appreciate it.
The market is so flooded with boring heavy indica and I want different.

One thing about the 10/14 compared to 12/12 its not as much about shortening flowering as it is about the sunlight in that part of the world. Some of the wild stuff will reveg and do other crazy things on 12/12. Sometimes its not enough to keep them continuing in flower, more a matter of life cycle than lessening any time (like making a 26 week plant finish in 20). Or to put another way, it stays in a perpetual September at 12/12 waiting for the sun to lessen its time at the end of its life cycle for a December finish at like 9/15 or even 8/16. In other words12/12 won't end its life cycle. If its first time running it, just finding a stable female will be an accomplishment indoors.

Congrats on scoring those seeds I got to admit I am a bit jelly, only of the journey to work through them, its where the new stuff will be found. Time and space

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
One thing about the 10/14 compared to 12/12 its not as much about shortening flowering as it is about the sunlight in that part of the world. Some of the wild stuff will reveg and do other crazy things on 12/12. Sometimes its not enough to keep them continuing in flower, more a matter of life cycle than lessening any time (like making a 26 week plant finish in 20). Or to put another way, it stays in a perpetual September at 12/12 waiting for the sun to lessen its time at the end of its life cycle for a December finish at like 9/15 or even 8/16. In other words12/12 won't end its life cycle. If its first time running it, just finding a stable female will be an accomplishment indoors.

Congrats on scoring those seeds I got to admit I am a bit jelly, only of the journey to work through them, its where the new stuff will be found. Time and space
Well I’ll be damned. After reading this I went in for more of a look and it seems she is only showing her sex. Kinda how the male has been as well, kinda showed his junk and is in limbo like neither of them know what to do.😅 Day 21 I’d expect a little more even with a 16 week sativa.
I’ve already taken clones so I think I am going to start over. No way will that plant make it in a 2x4 tent.
Need to ask around because I’d like to know what kind of weight loss I will get on my polys in a 11/13 or 10/14 light cycle. Trying to micro grow these in a 2x4 tent maybe too difficult.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Well I’ll be damned. After reading this I went in for more of a look and it seems she is only showing her sex. Kinda how the male has been as well, kinda showed his junk and is in limbo like neither of them know what to do.😅 Day 21 I’d expect a little more even with a 16 week sativa.
I’ve already taken clones so I think I am going to start over. No way will that plant make it in a 2x4 tent.
Need to ask around because I’d like to know what kind of weight loss I will get on my polys in a 11/13 or 10/14 light cycle. Trying to micro grow these in a 2x4 tent maybe too difficult.
You can do the 2x4 depending on your goals. Were I in your shoes, I would be looking towards preservation of the genetics pure, to go back and play with when I really have the time and space.
In a 2x4 you can keep the plants really root bound and top a couple times to keep them manageable, just to get a solid batch of fresh viable seeds. I often do 6 plants comfortably in a 2x4 in gallon pots of even the most unruly lines if all I am wanting are seeds. Its easy to segregate from the rest of the garden as well as clean, and the pollen stays sooooo dense in the 2x4. I would 100% harvest pollen to hit all those sweet cuts in your other thread. Be taking that bandaid haze 1D had back to its roots.

Top Bottom