Vegan Hash Caramels

• Thread starter NaturalTherapy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
God dammit. I burnt mine. It was tasting fucking awesome, but then started boiling over when I last checked... I wasn't using a thermometer, but I wasn't able to spread it apart for a bit like you described. It was too viscous. As soon as it started to boil over I poured it on wax paper thinned it out and it hardened up FAST. Think I just cooked it too long?

Are you happy with them??

Yeah, a little too much heat, maybe cooked for about 5 minutes too long, but hard candy is just as effective, and some prefer it for transport reasons. You can get a number of different consistencies according to what temp the caramel reaches while cooking: Syrup, melt away, chews and hard candy.

One of my biggest problems at first was undercooking it, so I'd cool it and it would still be syrupy, then I'd have to scrape it off the pan and back in the pot, to re-boil- that can be frustrating. I got the thermometer and it helped me get the desired consistency right. After that I kept dropping it in each batch, so I go by feel now.

Bummer about the boiling over mishap, but you'll get it next time. I recommend using a large boiling pot if you can to avoid boiling over. Sugar burns are a bastard!

Next time try using a thermometer so you can get an idea of it's physical behaviour in relation to temperature. I would always use mine but it is digital and I invariably end up dropping it in, causing it to malfunction.
But thermometer may only be truly necessary in order to set up a precedent of behaviour in your brain, then from there you can just access the reference point.

How'd the over-indulgence go?? Waves of stoney goodness or dizzy nauseous paranoia?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I once made a batch of brownies with the shake left from a lb, I'd say it was about an ounce of shake. All I did was add the shake to a brownie mix that came in a box. After making and while cutting up the brownies I made some bits, pieces that I fed my dogs 1 pit and 2 mini dauchsunds. I ate 3 brownies and was heading to town when one of the mini's started wobbling and fell over. So I picked him up and put him on the couch, then I noticed his mother sitting on the top/back of the other couch. I sprinted and caught her as she fell off of the couch, she was sound asleep. I told my wife I was going and she said if the dogs were this bad how where we gonna be, so I stayed I had something to do. Well soon enough me and my wife found ourselves on the couch hoping we wouldn't get any higher. We sat there for 6 hours never moving staring at the Tv praying that we wouldn't get any higher, which we seemed to do until about the end when it just left. Eating too much weed can be scary, I went to get me a couple more the next day, we still had 4/5 of them left. I couldn't find them so I asked my wife, she said she threw them away because they were going to hurt someone LOL(everyone was fine)

mal

Damn it can be nerve wracking when an animal gets into edibles. I had a case of my friend's toy chihuahua eating a FULL CARAMEL- the things is like 3 pounds. It went into convulsions for about ten minutes, then slept- while shivering- for two days. He finally snapped out of it and has displayed no deleterious or prolonged effects.

I made the mistake of offering one of these to a nonsmoker with flu-like symptoms. She felt great for an hour, then spent the next three at the throne, vomiting and wondering if she had to call the psych ward. I felt so bad, and it was her first experience with cannabis. Why people disregard dosage recommendations is a fucking mystery to me.

So Mal, is your lady off edibles for good after that?

Mine won't touch them after one too many overdoses. I'm beginning to really appreciate edibles almost more than smoking.

C

cheech

I do like them to the extent that I want to make another batch that taste good and throw this batch away, LOL.

The overindulgence put me to sleep the first time. I tried to overindulge a bit again today. Put a quarter sized piece in coffee and one in my mouth, and didn't really feel too high, but I didn't have any urge to smoke which I found really interesting. I'm now just smoking the bong this evening. That's almost unheard of!

I'll keep pushing it for the fun, and I'll definitely make another batch, because I know this has the potential to KICK ASS.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
My homie took a load of caramels to India with him- they go for 1000 rupees each! It's pretty cool to know that some cats on the other side of the globe are digging them.

B

Bubbie

"***If it's your first time making caramels, then a candy thermometer is highly recommended. But frankly, I get high, and I end up dropping the entire meter into the mix half way along the process almost every time, usually resulting in my having to judge by consistency- which I personally find more reliable a method than the thermometer. "
:-) Made me laugh because it sounds like me! I don't use thermometers either and thought I'd share my trick. For testing any hard candy I get an ice cold cup of water (I mean seriously ICE COLD) and then drop a little of my mixture into the water. If it hardens by the time it hits the bottom of the glass your good, if not wait and try again.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
For testing any hard candy I get an ice cold cup of water (I mean seriously ICE COLD) and then drop a little of my mixture into the water. If it hardens by the time it hits the bottom of the glass your good, if not wait and try again.

Great suggestion!^^

deep buddy

deep buddy

so i posted some stuff about the back pain i have. which is caused by nerve damage. i am prescribed morphine twice a day and oxycodone to take when the morphine isnt enough. i ll be having surgery at some point and hopefully it will get better. cant lay down or sit for very long, so i dont sleep much and usually wake up with muscle spasms( extremely bad ones) and will have to go to er for iv narcs to stop from basically weeping like a baby.
basically the pain is bad.
naturaltherapy saw a post about my situation, and without ever speaking except on the forums. he decide's to come and take the time to offer me some of these caramels. so he brings me two examples of his caramel( rather large samples, thanks again) and just gives them to me asking absolutely nothing in return! im still very surprised at the generosity of this very kind person. it floored me really i mean i like to help people out as much as anyone, but this was above and beyond that.
first off they taste great! for such a strong edible that is not an easy task!
i smoke alot like alot! so i have as high a tolerance of anyone and i already eat kief pills for the nausea from the narcs. now there were 2 "slabs":) one mad w/ indica hash and one w/ sativa or a sativa hybrid(?NT) basically a fuctional and a night night.
so i started with about 10-15 grams of the sativa caramel as it was afternoonish and i had some stuff to do. i really liked it very good selection on the strain, workable and potent, easy to dose and tasty! really helped with the spasm's but left me still able to get things done, with a smile on my face.
i took the indica caramel about an hour before i was ready to go to bed. i dosed at about 10-15 grams and i will say this and it might not mean much to others but instead of 2 hours and waking up in pain and not getting any real rest, i slept for almost 6 hrs !!! and woke up without a spasm. which doesnt happen very often. and the muscles were relaxed and stayed that way for a good few hours.
really really nice caramels and very good medicine for those in serious need. and made by one of the few who really love and care about what they do and just like the the candy shop worker sang to charlie" .. the candy man can , because he mixes it with love and makes the world taste gooooooood!" you can taste the love.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Thanks for your feedback Deep Buddy. I'm glad you were able to find a bit of relief from the sample I gave you. More is coming to you as soon as I can make it up your way!

The functional type is made solely from Tangerine Haze hashish, and the downtime type is from my Blue Afghani. I have all sativa stuff, too, but they are not as effective for pain management. Large doses can be fun though...

Thanks Deep... very kind words...I have a big smile in my heart right now ... I truly appreciate!

So glad this got bumped! Making a shopping list..

Glad you saw this recipe...
Did you make a batch?
How'd they come out?

deep buddy

deep buddy

^^^^can I like this a million times?
million and one! seriously i could have gone on and on, but i hate swingin on poles:)
Thanks for your feedback Deep Buddy. I'm glad you were able to find a bit of relief from the sample I gave you. More is coming to you as soon as I can make it up your way!

The functional type is made solely from Tangerine Haze hashish, and the downtime type is from my Blue Afghani. I have all sativa stuff, too, but they are not as effective for pain management. Large doses can be fun though...

Thanks Deep... very kind words...I have a big smile in my heart right now ... I truly appreciate!

Did you make a batch?
How'd they come out?
hey. NT thanks for clearing up the strains used srry my memory isnt the best. really was good to meet you. as i said before anything i can ever do for you just ask. glad i could try em and report. so that others in need can get some relief.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

The functional type is made solely from Tangerine Haze hashish, and the downtime type is from my Blue Af
Did you make a batch?
How'd they come out?
Not yours yet, need to grab some brs from the 'good' grocery store, soon though. Is using a candy therm the same as checking with an IR thermometer? (will surface temp be good enough to gauge?) I've done caramels with condensed milk before but just by feel, would like to try the hard-candy style.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Not yours yet, need to grab some brs from the 'good' grocery store, soon though. Is using a candy therm the same as checking with an IR thermometer? (will surface temp be good enough to gauge?) I've done caramels with condensed milk before but just by feel, would like to try the hard-candy style.

You can also use corn syrup as a substitute for the brown rice syrup, if the BRS is hard to track down. I tend to stay away from corn by-products, personally.

About the thermometer, I don't have an answer for that. Something I didn't mention before is that cooking these over a medium to medium-low heat is ideal. Even though it takes about an hour before the mixture is anywhere near the proper consistency, your reward is increased potency.

Wow. This looks quite good. I may have to try this. :p

If you follow these instructions, you won't be disappointed.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Yeah, corn syrup just wouldn't be the same, maybe some other sugars though? I have a gas stove, hard to turn low, so will probably use a crockpot for the first step.

RIVAL79

RIVAL79

Funk Master!
Supporter
White Boy Medicine Man! I like that title, NT. I'm half Native American and German. I think I fit in that category! Lol.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Oh god reading this makes me want to down a few of those right off the bat. Sounds more than delicious NaturalTherapy!

Thanks for sharing, I'm so trying this out.

Top Bottom