As Designed Very slow when clicking on thumbnails

• Thread starter UNITEDGROOVES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
What's up with people uploading all these ginormous images anyway? Is there some way to dis-allow/reject by file size?

Longer image load times make for especially difficult experience on the ipad, maybe I need to find a browser with different scrolling/image-loading behavior.

12mb images x how ever many and It don't matter how fast your connection is. You need patience.

Lets say there are 20 images at max size of 12 megabytes. to view the photos you need to load up to 240 megabytes. Even on a fast connection that takes some time.

There is Is not ANY browser or os that will fix poor programming and design. There is a big waste of bandwidth in how this is designed. There are ways to improve it but that takes time and $$. The focus here is to work on other things that are more important, so you will have to just be patient when viewing thumbnails....

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
So you've been redirected away from the thread (but from the site? I know there's been a problem with people linking to off-site images, imageshack, etc), on occasion, too? I'm glad it's not just me.

after you open a thumbnail, in the upper right, there is an arrow and an X.
The arrow takes you to another page with just the photo :)
The X closes the photo ;)

green punk

green punk

Shoot, after I click on a pic, I can grind one and roll it before the pics are even available.

nebulius

nebulius

If this is the admin's attitude I'll just mosey on to one of the competing sites. Later, farmers.
Is this perfect or what, lol! Jawnroot is played by Peter Griffin, lol.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Why don't people just upload "full images" anyways and avoid the whole thumbnail debacle all together? Are we not given that option when uploading? I know I'm given that option at least! I don't know about the rest of the community but I rather enjoy having all the pictures on the same page/thread when perusing and scrolling along, instead of clicking thumbnails and being led elsewhere and away from where all the write up and text is anyways. Plus the images are nice and clear and large but not to large! Am I missing something? I just don't see what the problem is? Please enlighten me, thanks!

Bless up...Sol

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Weird it seems to run fine for me? Like said before that's SSL. I will trade some load time for security anyday. If you feel different by all means LATER!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

12mb images x how ever many and It don't matter how fast your connection is. You need patience.

Lets say there are 20 images at max size of 12 megabytes. to view the photos you need to load up to 240 megabytes. Even on a fast connection that takes some time.

There is Is not ANY browser or os that will fix poor programming and design. There is a big waste of bandwidth in how this is designed. There are ways to improve it but that takes time and $$. The focus here is to work on other things that are more important, so you will have to just be patient when viewing thumbnails....
Yeah I hear you, but meant that with safari on ipad the page keeps wanting to scroll back up if you try to just read while the photos load, so for those threads with tons of 8mp nug shots, I'd rather just skip it and maybe look on bigger screen later.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I could have sworn that the old format, and perhaps the new one, was supposed to automagically resize pix for people. I resize them myself, that way I have it already on my HD resized (and resampled). I always make the largest side 1200pixels.

Anyway, I am now viewing on Ubuntu... what is it, 12.1? I can't remember right now but it's completely different from the Ubuntu of old, and I've been working in the Fedora environment for over a year now. The point is that I'm not having issues with Firefox on Ubuntu, and I also view the site from my ASUS Eee Pad and I don't usually have issues with picture size or being forced to scroll side-to-side.

That is not as concerning as being redirected away from a thread for me. I like to have things open up in a new tab or window so I don't lose my place.

S

swisscheese

My pics load real slow too but what can you do they always take care of the problems here at the farm. It's definitely slower than it was before and I'm on a faster 20mbps connection now.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Must be that janky apple shit ;)
LMAO! Complete and total non sequitur here, but I am truly laughing my ass off, and it's because of a Barbie doll my granddaughter has that I call "Carny Barbie." Oh God.. now I'm laughin gotoo hard to type..

I call her Carny Barbie because she's got this JANKY arm, I tell the g-daughter that it's actually a birth defect and Carny Barbie actually works carnivals with the janky arm posing as a vet. See, the doll is supposed to be a 'veterinarian', but she's got these lavender tights with a REALLY short, sexy, tight little dress and these high heels and even a little dog posing with a 'hurt' paw. To me she's a grifter, what vet would dress like that? So the kid's now calling her doll Carny Barbie, with the janky arm. Hold on, I gotta find a picture of this thing.

Yes!!! I give you Carny Barbie, with the janky arm.
http://www.invalid.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/mattel-barbie-i-can-be-pet-vet-20060875.jpeg

Please do not link insecure images from outside websites.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
LOL at Barbie's janky arm.:D

Why don't people just upload "full images" anyways and avoid the whole thumbnail debacle all together? Are we not given that option when uploading? I know I'm given that option at least! I don't know about the rest of the community but I rather enjoy having all the pictures on the same page/thread when perusing and scrolling along, instead of clicking thumbnails and being led elsewhere and away from where all the write up and text is anyways. Plus the images are nice and clear and large but not to large! Am I missing something? I just don't see what the problem is? Please enlighten me, thanks!

Bless up...Sol

I like putting he whole photo up. But I use thumb nails when I don't wan't to slow down the whole page. (especially when its someone elses thread)
That way, folks can pick the photos they want to load.

I dunno...do others prefer tumbnails or the whole photo?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Usually I'm able to simply mouse over the photos and that secondary screen comes up, and then I can scroll through them. They're already sized to fit the window (not the screen). This *one* time, and I really should have noted it, I was fully redirected.

I like being able to simply mouse over the thumbnails and have them superimpose over the thread itself, I can either scroll through all of them or simply close out that window and continue on with the thread.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm tellin' ya, watch OUT for Carny Barbie with that janky arm.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
hey OutWest; Did ya see my airlayer photos i just posted?
The thumbs will load fast. :)

Top Bottom