Viparspectra x TenguSeedCo, a clash of Titans

• Thread starter Lockebox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockebox

Lockebox

What's up y'all,

Glad to be getting back under the XS1500Pro and P1000 from @ViparSpectra.

This is my second run with these lights so I'll be doing things a tad bit different.

To accommodate for the badass light distribution and overlapping footprint, I'll be running 2 plants instead of 3 while also spacing the lights further apart.

Gonna be running 2 Golden Ticket x Cinderella Man fems, by TenguSeedCo aka the homie @Trustfall

Just kinda going with the flow on this one 🤙🏻

Set up the tent last night,
Viparspectra x tenguseedco a clash of titans 3
Viparspectra x tenguseedco a clash of titans 4

Viparspectra x tenguseedco a clash of titans 5

And got the beans soaking.
Viparspectra x tenguseedco a clash of titans
Viparspectra x tenguseedco a clash of titans 2

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I've had gnats for the first time and I'm using mixed Fox Farm soils. I've been using those yellow sticky things. They're disgusting when they're covered with dead gnats. They work well, though.
Mix in a bit of DE and knock them out before ya start! I mix in a 1/4 cup per 5 gal bucket, used to get gnats every run off happy frog, strawberry fields and ocean forest, starting mixing in the DE and haven’t had a single gnat since 😁

Lockebox

Lockebox

Mix in a bit of DE and knock them out before ya start! I mix in a 1/4 cup per 5 gal bucket, used to get gnats every run off happy frog, strawberry fields and ocean forest, starting mixing in the DE and haven’t had a single gnat since 😁
Right on!
I've been using DE for probably a year now and it doesn't really seem to help me that much though.
I mean I like the stuff for it's silica and it's pest potential but heavy into flower when plants are drinking every day, it's more of a paste than it is a powder.
And I've seen gnats running around partying in the stuff like it's blow, I'm sure they were in the process of dying but even DE topdress + excessive dry backs didn't seem break the life cycles.

I'm not knocking it, I just personally havent had the success with it some people tend to.

At this point it's more of an amendment in my soil mix than part of ipm, but I still do the occasional topdress and treat new soil to be safe.

Looking into mosquito dunks or bits for the future possibly. BTI seems to be what catches my eye the most

deerman12

deerman12

I've had gnats for the first time and I'm using mixed Fox Farm soils. I've been using those yellow sticky things. They're disgusting when they're covered with dead gnats. They work well, though.
I am using that fly paper type stuff. It's hard to believe how many of those gnats are hanging around.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I am using that fly paper type stuff. It's hard to believe how many of those gnats are hanging around.
I got 1 sticky tape tube thing, it looks like a small lantern so it has more than 2 sides. I'm going to get more of them. I think DE is less effective against flying bugs, I know it needs to be sprinkled dry and stay dry for it to work, once it's wet it loses its bug killing power. I guess the best time to spread it on soil is a couple of days after watering when the top soil is pretty dry but still a couple of days before the next watering. Yeah, that's hard if you need to water often, the only real solution would be larger pots. But it's also good to add a 3rd line of attack.......a light, quick spray of the top soil. Just enough to hit all the soil, and I'm not talking Raid, even though a tiny quick spray at the soil line only wouldn't be terrible.....but something natural, there's plenty of formulas for fruits and vegetables......you can wrap the bottom of the stem with plastic or foil if you really don't want to hit it at all. Doing this every 3 days for 2 weeks will kill gnats, and new gnats at that top soil line.

Lockebox

Lockebox

I got 1 sticky tape tube thing, it looks like a small lantern so it has more than 2 sides. I'm going to get more of them. I think DE is less effective against flying bugs, I know it needs to be sprinkled dry and stay dry for it to work, once it's wet it loses its bug killing power. I guess the best time to spread it on soil is a couple of days after watering when the top soil is pretty dry but still a couple of days before the next watering. Yeah, that's hard if you need to water often, the only real solution would be larger pots. But it's also good to add a 3rd line of attack.......a light, quick spray of the top soil. Just enough to hit all the soil, and I'm not talking Raid, even though a tiny quick spray at the soil line only wouldn't be terrible.....but something natural, there's plenty of formulas for fruits and vegetables......you can wrap the bottom of the stem with plastic or foil if you really don't want to hit it at all. Doing this every 3 days for 2 weeks will kill gnats, and new gnats at that top soil line.
Yeah my thoughts exactly on the DE. It's useful for sure but has its downfalls like everything else. Not to mention the sticky traps I was using were complete garbage, gnats would walk all over them. The ones I usually get from the grow store work great but I tried to cheap out on amazon and paid the price.
I've got some spinosad ordered and on the way just for that, soil drench to kill any larvae and eggs. I'm hoping to not have issues in the first place as I'm starting with fresh soil in a new location, but never hurts to be prepared.

I've never had issues with gnats to the extent I did during that last grow, or at all really. Between the organic amendments/ inputs, the bag of soil delivered from amazon, and the location I was living, I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe all three, but at least now I'm better prepared.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah my thoughts exactly on the DE. It's useful for sure but has its downfalls like everything else. Not to mention the sticky traps I was using were complete garbage, gnats would walk all over them. The ones I usually get from the grow store work great but I tried to cheap out on amazon and paid the price.
I've got some spinosad ordered and on the way just for that, soil drench to kill any larvae and eggs. I'm hoping to not have issues in the first place as I'm starting with fresh soil in a new location, but never hurts to be prepared.

I've never had issues with gnats to the extent I did during that last grow, or at all really. Between the organic amendments/ inputs, the bag of soil delivered from amazon, and the location I was living, I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe all three, but at least now I'm better prepared.
The other part of DE is that you don't want to breathe it in. No fans after sprinkling it, and always wear gloves and a mask when working with it. I take it outdoors and work with it up wind so it carries it away from me. The stuff is like fine chalk.......I pour it into a sugar shaker, anything with good size holes on top, then bring that in to gently tap it out right on top of the soil, making sure I don't kick any of it up into the air. But then no fan at all until after the next watering. I'll start with a spray bottle to dampen it, then water. I know gnats are a pain. A few are ok but you don't want them to get out if hand. They love higher temps and humidity so it's good to keep things cooler and a bit drier. The combination of DE, sticky tape traps, and hitting the tops of the pots with a little bug spray evety few days is the best you can do.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
The other part of DE is that you don't want to breathe it in. No fans after sprinkling it, and always wear gloves and a mask when working with it. I take it outdoors and work with it up wind so it carries it away from me. The stuff is like fine chalk.......I pour it into a sugar shaker, anything with good size holes on top, then bring that in to gently tap it out right on top of the soil, making sure I don't kick any of it up into the air. But then no fan at all until after the next watering. I'll start with a spray bottle to dampen it, then water. I know gnats are a pain. A few are ok but you don't want them to get out if hand. They love higher temps and humidity so it's good to keep things cooler and a bit drier. The combination of DE, sticky tape traps, and hitting the tops of the pots with a little bug spray evety few days is the best you can do.
100% I put the DE right into the soil when I mix before transplanting, if I top dress for any reason (I see bugs etc) I mix it with a few cups of soil put it in a container and shake it up then let it settle and top dress slowly ditch fans and exhaust off, then water in very slowly before turning anything on

Yes I’ve plugged a carbon filter solid before 😂

In veg I also spray every week or 2 with deadbug then for about a week after flip during stretch then I stop and depend on the DE in the soil to carry me through flower since there should be no bugs present at that point

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
100% I put the DE right into the soil when I mix before transplanting, if I top dress for any reason (I see bugs etc) I mix it with a few cups of soil put it in a container and shake it up then let it settle and top dress slowly ditch fans and exhaust off, then water in very slowly before turning anything on

Yes I’ve plugged a carbon filter solid before 😂

In veg I also spray every week or 2 with deadbug then for about a week after flip during stretch then I stop and depend on the DE in the soil to carry me through flower since there should be no bugs present at that point
That's a good strategy. If things get a little out of hand, try sprinkling some DE straight on top of the soil, plus the other things, but it sounds like you got a good regimen.

Top Bottom