Virginia Growers Thread - Everything VA

• Thread starter Hawk518
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hawk518

Hawk518

I’ve been looking for VA-specific info and noticed that they were scattered all over the site. Thought it might be easier to have one thread that gathers everything for Virginia.
The purpose of this thread is to unite Virginia growers so we can all share our experiences, tips, tricks, recipes, etc., and keep the Virginia marijuana community growing.

I’ll start it off.
Total newbie to growing (and even to gardening).
First grow. Growing two plants outdoors. Don't have an indoor setup.
Even though I've done something wrong at nearly every stage, my plants appear to be doing fairly well.
They're not ready to harvest yet, but guessing in the next 2-4 weeks?
But, the weather is quickly cooling off with lots of rain.
It's in the 50's today.
How much do I need to worry about possible negative effects caused by the weather?
I keep hearing about bud rot, etc.
What can I (should I) do to take these two plants across the finish line?

Hope there’s some interest in a VA thread.
Thanks!!

Virginia growers thread   everything va
Virginia growers thread   everything va 2
Virginia growers thread   everything va 3

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

I'm a S.W. Virginia grower and I just hung two of mine on the 3rd of this month, and also lost one to bud rot. I do both in and outdoor new to the indoor growing only a year or so, but prefer outdoor organic growing. This is the two drying. About your plants just keep a check on them every day, and keep them as dry as possible. When it hits it spreads fast.
20231003 203018
20231003 203047

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

I'm a S.W. Virginia grower and I just hung two of mine on the 3rd of this month, and also lost one to bud rot. I do both in and outdoor new to the indoor growing only a year or so, but prefer outdoor organic growing. This is the two drying. About your plants just keep a check on them every day, and keep them as dry as possible. When it hits it spreads fast. View attachment 2056018View attachment 2056019
Are we the only two Virginia growers on here? I was sure there would be more.

M

munchie725

Grower from SW Virginia here. I did so much wrong my first grow. The plants had a rough life before they even got to us because the guy we got them from had them growing in milk jugs he had cut the top half off and were grown using bag seed. Our "pots" and "grow room/tent" was a bathtub with the walls lined in mylar in my brother's extra bathroom. We had about 2/3 the light needed for our grow area. We used a mix of topsoil and manure/compost mix from Lowe's. We didn't even think about getting nutrients until the plants were yellow and the bottom leaves had started dying and falling off.

We've e fixed literally everything for our grow and it'll be starting in about 3-4 weeks.

We (me and my brother) ended up only getting about half an ounce total between the four plants. Three (autoflowers that all flowered at different times) of them produced super light and airy buds while the fourth (the only photoperiod) turned herm and started developing balls about 3 weeks into flower so we kill that one off. Lucky my brother knows a commercial grower who gave us one of his plants as a gift. Thanks to it getting cool and damp early in the year the plant had started to develop buds rot so dude cut it (and the rest of his crop) down early. My brother went through cutting fan leaves and cutting off buds showing obvious signs of bud rot while I dit a more fine trim and detailed inspection for bud rot (if I found even the smallest bit of suspected rot the whole bud was tossed) and we collected the trim and popcorn buds separately. After throwing away what would probably be at least 4oz of rotted buds and letting everything else dry we ended up with 8oz of full buds each, my brother took 1oz of popcorn buds for making cannabutter, and I ended up with 1.5oz of popcorn buds and about 5-6oz of trim for making concentrate. So far I've only used the trim for concentrate and my first batch turned out so bad (but still smokeable) I'm not gonna bother weighing it out (which sucks because it was about 2/3 my trim) but my second batch turned out so much better and what I've managed to scrape out of the crock pot so far is 2.2g.

Hawk518

Hawk518

Hello!
Wanted to extend an invitation to join this forum.
Did a quick search on Virginia and your names all popped up.
If you know of any other VA growers, please let them know.
Hopefully, you'll join in.

@Hawk518 , @BuggzNuggz , , @munchie725 , @Gokayaking , @mjab702 , @Slammd420 , @98flowers , @fawnridge , @Stokes , @linus72 , @PurpleGreen , @Slapnuts , @bornakang , @Spotsy , @Harpua88 , @wallywonks , @Mothman , @Mattyice23 , @BigBank25k , @Bullmark69

mjab702

mjab702

South Central Va here. Been growing for about 3 years. I grow indoor/outdoor and greenhouse.

Shadytimes

Shadytimes

Hello!
Virginia grower here. In my third week of flower on some blueberry muffins. Man this strain is fast growing! This is my 4th grow, all indoors, all soil grown.
So what genetics are you all growing? Indoors or out? Soil or hydro?

Hawk518

Hawk518

Welcome @Shadytimes !!

I'm on my first grow. Granddaddy Purple and THC Bomb seeds from MSNL. Outdoors in fabric grow pots w. soil. Just harvested and attempting to cure them. Next season I'll go w. 3 plants in the fabric grow pots and 1 plant actually planted in the backyard. Very curious how big it will get. Haven't decided on what genetics to try yet. Wish I had the cash for a proper indoor setup so I could grow during the winter!

Your plants look Amazing!!

Shadytimes

Shadytimes

Welcome @Shadytimes !!

I'm on my first grow. Granddaddy Purple and THC Bomb seeds from MSNL. Outdoors in fabric grow pots w. soil. Just harvested and attempting to cure them. Next season I'll go w. 3 plants in the fabric grow pots and 1 plant actually planted in the backyard. Very curious how big it will get. Haven't decided on what genetics to try yet. Wish I had the cash for a proper indoor setup so I could grow during the winter!

Your plants look

Welcome @Shadytimes !!

Your plants look Amazing!!
Thank you! Yes, it can be costly to get started indoors, but it's cheaper than the dispensary prices. My goodness, I would go broke if that were my only means to smoke.
How did the purple/thc Bomb strain do outside here in VA?
I would like to try one outside this spring myself. Been looking at that supafreak strain hombolt has. It looks great for a stealth grow.

Hawk518

Hawk518

How did the purple/thc Bomb strain do outside here in VA?
Despite my doing nearly everything wrong on my first grow, they did very well. But, the weather started getting cold/rainy before they were ready to harvest. This ended up giving me HUGE problems. Got Bud Rot from leaving them outside too long. Then ended up w. Spider Mites after bringing them into the garage. IF I'd done things properly, I could have harvested before the weather change and missed out on all the major issues. Just need to learn from my mistakes and not make them in grow season #2!

This shot is from right before bringing them inside.

GDP THC Bomb  10 11 2023 02

Shadytimes

Shadytimes

Despite my doing nearly everything wrong on my first grow, they did very well. But, the weather started getting cold/rainy before they were ready to harvest. This ended up giving me HUGE problems. Got Bud Rot from leaving them outside too long. Then ended up w. Spider Mites after bringing them into the garage. IF I'd done things properly, I could have harvested before the weather change and missed out on all the major issues. Just need to learn from my mistakes and not make them in grow season #2!

This shot is from right before bringing them inside.

View attachment 2076362
Dang! They were looking good! You won't let that happen again I bet. I almost lost my first grow to nutrient lockout. A fellow grower helped me out thankfully. No bud rot, PM, or mite issues for me YET. I only have 4 grows under my belt, so I'm still green myself, and am sure to encounter those wonderful surprises at some point (knock on wood).
A friend of mine told me that the plant will tell you everything it wants, and if you're doing something wrong....just learn how to listen.
I'm trying, but some days I think I need a hearing aid...lol.

Last edited:
Hawk518

Hawk518

Newbie grower about to start my second outdoor season. Live in N.VA. It’s nearly officially spring and I’ve been itching to start growing again!

Q: When do you start germinating your seeds indoors to eventually bring them outside?

I’m thinking of trying 2 photo fems and 2 auto fems. Since we only get 4, can’t waste time w. regular seeds. One photo will eventually be transplanted into a 25 gallon fabric grow pot and the other photo will eventually be planted into the ground. I’ve read that autos should be planted in their forever pot and not transplanted. SO, thinking I’ll plant them in…5 gallon fabric grow pots? Sound about right?

Any / all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Newbie grower about to start my second outdoor season. Live in N.VA. It’s nearly officially spring and I’ve been itching to start growing again!

Q: When do you start germinating your seeds indoors to eventually bring them outside?

I’m thinking of trying 2 photo fems and 2 auto fems. Since we only get 4, can’t waste time w. regular seeds. One photo will eventually be transplanted into a 25 gallon fabric grow pot and the other photo will eventually be planted into the ground. I’ve read that autos should be planted in their forever pot and not transplanted. SO, thinking I’ll plant them in…5 gallon fabric grow pots? Sound about right?

Any / all advice is greatly appreciated!!

The answer to your germination question is entirely based around your ability to keep plants indoors. I started my summer 2024 outdoor crop in Nov, I’ve cloned and flowered them once I order to take out the regular seed males, and when they got outside in May or June they will be 3ish feet tall.
However, once they clear their seeds your gonna have to keep them at 18 hours light if your don’t have the tests and everything for that then wait until 2-3 weeks before you put outside otherwise it’s really up to your own planning. Indoor rigs change the outdoor growing math.

Top Bottom