Wanting to improve grow, suggestions for "minor" changes?

• Thread starter bonbonbondia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bonbonbondia

I’ve been growing my own supply for a little over a year now and have been pleased with the results --haven’t had to buy any smoke for a year! Now, I’m here looking for any suggestions on how to improve my output with minor changes. Note: this is a grow for personal usage, not commercial use (if that matters). If you were going to suggest just one thing, what would it be?

Here is my setup:
I grow in a box dimensions 3’Hx2’Wx3’H. This isn’t changeable.
Lights: I have used all CFLs. (I really can't think of how I can fit in an HPS light in the box, although I am open to suggestions)
Veg: 12x26watt 6500k = 312watts/6sqft = 52watts/sqft
Flower: 10x42watt 2700k + 6x26watt 6500k = 576watts/6sqft = 96watts/sqft

Growing medium:
I am growing with modified “hempy”-style pots with a water reservoir.
1.2gallon pots with a 1” water reservoir (perlite at the bottom) with a mix of 2:1 soil:perlite mix on top.

Fertilizer:
I have just been using some general walmart-available ferts. 10:20:10 during veg and 20:52:20 during flower. I use a 1/4dose each watering. I have never noticed any over fertilizing problems.

Ventilation: I have 4 cpu fans each capable of moving 30cuft of air a minute. Air flow does not seem to be a problem. And I have not had problems with smell. I also have a small fan in the box blowing on the plants.

Notes: I have the inside of the box completely lined with foil tape (I can just imagine some of you cringing) this was done to as a method of protecting the wood of the box from water and for insulation purposes and minor reflection purposes. I have considered going in and putting a layer of mylar over all the foil but don’t know if the effort is worth it, opinions?

Strains I have grown in the box: euforia, white satin, hashberry, LR2. The euforia has definitely performed the best and been my favorite.

If you were going to suggest just one thing, what would it be? Looking to improve the strength and quantity of my harvests. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Wanting to improve grow suggestions for minor changes
Wanting to improve grow suggestions for minor changes 2
U

USMCtanker

hmmmmm i would like to know as well bc my setup is very simlar, im also useing CFL, yours looks really nice, welcome to the farm

B

bonbonbondia

hmmmmm i would like to know as well bc my setup is very simlar, im also useing CFL, yours looks really nice, welcome to the farm

Thanks for the welcome. I think it was your thread the other night that made me think about writing this.

I know the #1 thing I could do to have better results is use HPS instead of CFL. But I can't really think of a good way to fit a hps unit in there (size and heat issues). So hopefully the experts here have some other tips.

Also, i forgot to add in my post, my box has a removable divider that goes down the middle so I can have two different grows going on simultaneously.

T

Thick Smoke

2 parts soil to 1 part perlite? how long does the soil perlite mix stay moist?

suggestions
definatley go with the mylar. i find it makes a huge difference.
an ultra white flat paint would be second best

if possible build a frame to attach maybe half the lights to. then you can drop them a lil closer when the plants are short

get some better ferts. i am currently using fox farm but dont have an opinion on it yet. however alot of people say it is great.

i would reccomend earth juice, get all the parts.

are you looking for better pot?
better yield?

cause if your totally happy why fix what aint broken?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I would put some panda film over the foil tape, I am not a big fan of mylar, panda is cheap, wipable, easy to install..

Nutes, Earth Juice, Humboldt Nutrients, or Aurora for the organic regimes..earth juice is easy cheesy and all organic.

I would still be tryin to cram a HID in there, like a 400watter in a bake-o-lite cool tube.

Tex

D

DND

Let me say first that your box looks genius...good job.

For my suggestion and I know you already mentioned that you didn't think it could be done, but I am positive that if you built that box yourself than it can be. So, my suggestion is to add a 250 MH or HPS bulb that is vertically mounted at the top of your box with a remote ballast that is hidden and out of the way...maybe behind the box?

With it being vertically mounted it will not take up much space and the heat dissipate a lot faster because as we know heat rises. To combat the heat further you could add 4 more CPU fans like you have or go to HomedePOT and get yourself a 4" inline duct fan and mount it close to the light. I did this for my very first grow in a C-13 Mills Pride cabinet (bigger than what you got) but it worked great.

Temps were a little high on hot summer days, but my plants didn't seem to mind. I am buzzing right now and feeling ambitious so it's time to break out the MS Paint and illustrate just in case you are lost. Oh, you would be able to lose most of your cfl lighting which will also reduce heat, but I would keep any that are down low for side lighting. Pic to come...

B

bonbonbondia

2 parts soil to 1 part perlite? how long does the soil perlite mix stay moist?
The soil at the top dries out after 2 days. After 3 days the water resevoir at the bottom dries out. So I end up watering every 3-4 days.

if possible build a frame to attach maybe half the lights to. then you can drop them a lil closer when the plants are short
I have been considering that. I see my current design with the outlets attached to the box as a flaw I overlooked. I usually just put the pots on top of other stuff to get them closer when they are small. A moveable light bar will definitely help make things easier.

get some better ferts. i am currently using fox farm but dont have an opinion on it yet. however alot of people say it is great.

i would reccomend earth juice, get all the parts.
I think I may give that a try. I forgot to mention that I also add a bit of molasses to the watering pot about once a week.

are you looking for better pot?
better yield?

cause if your totally happy why fix what aint broken?

I'm not totally happy, just pleased with my current results. I figure I can get better pot and maybe increase the yield also. Given the choice I would go with better pot over yield since all the results are for me and wifey. The buds are bit fluffier than I would prefer but I understand that is a problem due to using CFLs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

B

bonbonbondia

I would put some panda film over the foil tape, I am not a big fan of mylar, panda is cheap, wipable, easy to install..
I had not heard of panda film before. I will have to do a search for it.

Nutes, Earth Juice, Humboldt Nutrients, or Aurora for the organic regimes..earth juice is easy cheesy and all organic.
That is the 2nd recommendation for Earth Juice. Anybody got a favorite outlet online for getting it? I'll do a search.

I would still be tryin to cram a HID in there, like a 400watter in a bake-o-lite cool tube.

Well I guess part of the problem is that about half or 1/3 of the time I have the divider down the middle seperating it into a flower and a veg half. But maybe it is time to go back to the drawing board. Thanks for the suggestions.

B

bonbonbondia

Let me say first that your box looks genius...good job.

Thanks much, it was fun to build. I've enjoyed building a fair amount of furniture for myself over the years but this was the most fun project to date, and more rewarding. :)

with a remote ballast that is hidden and out of the way...maybe behind the box?
That thought had not even occurred to me and definitely a possibility. I can easily add up to 4 more cpu fans as the dc plugs I have are both capable of supporting 2 more fans each. Any thoughts you have in setting up a remote ballast for it are more than welcome! Thanks for the suggestions.

Attached are the outside pics. Not in the picture is a 2nd air filter air&hammer filter on the outside. It sits discreetly in a nook in the garage. Stealthy, as it must be.

IMG 1525
IMG 1523
D

DND

Well I guess part of the problem is that about half or 1/3 of the time I have the divider down the middle seperating it into a flower and a veg half. But maybe it is time to go back to the drawing board. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, that part throws off my whole suggestion because only lighting half the box with an HID light would defiantly cause some serious heat issues unless you had LOTS of ventilation. I guess the main point is somehow, someway you'll have to incorporate HID lighting in some manner if you want tighter, dankier nugs. When you get back from the drawing I would be interested to see what you come up with. Good Luck.

B

bonbonbondia

Ah, that part throws off my whole suggestion because only lighting half the box with an HID light would defiantly cause some serious heat issues unless you had LOTS of ventilation. I guess the main point is somehow, someway you'll have to incorporate HID lighting in some manner if you want tighter, dankier nugs.

Did you see the size of the air filter on there? :) I definitely have the ability to add more ventilation but I don't want it to get to noisy either, as it is it is almost silent.

I'm gonna hit the drawing board, maybe I can add a 200watt hps to it and keep the cfl as supplemental lighting and the heat issues be manageable.

When you get back from the drawing I would be interested to see what you come up with. Good Luck.

Will do, it sounds like the easiest thing I can do is add a better reflective material (that panda film tex rec'd looks promising) At least then I can double the amount of reflected light inexpensively and easily.

Tex: The earth juice sounds interesting. Would that promote better pot? It sounds less powerful than the cheapie ferts I have been using, will using those instead lower my yields?

I'll definitely update with my changes, I used to lurk at hg420 (never could get my account there to work) and that's where I got most of my starter knowldege on growing. I finally decided to seek a new site to lurk at and found this excellent resource.

T

Thick Smoke

Tex: The earth juice sounds interesting. Would that promote better pot? It sounds less powerful than the cheapie ferts I have been using said:
the earth juice will not reduce yields. it will prolly raise them is it formulated much better.
the catalyst and micro nutes will make your girls very very happy. it will cost more then your "walmart" but ya get what ya pay for

your smoke will taste better as EJ is organic.
i used EJ for a long time. just recently switched to foxfarm.

P

ProGroWannabe

Yup I love my EJ!

Here are a couple of other possibilities for you to ponder....
1. Put a screen in there and do a SCroG. That will bounce your yield up.
2. You can combine all your flowering plants into one container so that they share rootspace....ya know, one big tub full of grow medium, instead of individual pots.
3. Last but not necessarily least, you could try hydro. Shallow Water Culture is what I was thinkin since your tight on space.

Juss my two cents...

G

grizz

either make a taller box or do exactly what texas kid said a horiz, 400 or a 250 w with cool tube. that will make a huge differance in groth and yield. Its just me but coco with canna nutes is so much cleaner than soil and perlite and so easy to use a cave man could do it

B

bonbonbondia

Yup I love my EJ!
Here are a couple of other possibilities for you to ponder....
1. Put a screen in there and do a SCroG. That will bounce your yield up.

Yeah, I have some screen in that I put around the lights so I can cram the plants under it and around the lights. The plants end up growing all around the lights.

2. You can combine all your flowering plants into one container so that they share rootspace....ya know, one big tub full of grow medium, instead of ind hividual pots.

I had not really considered that. I guess I just remember reading to never do that. It might be worth a try, I could definitely fit more in that way.

3. Last but not necessarily least, you could try hydro. Shallow Water Culture is what I was thinkin since your tight on space.

I'm guessing that hydro would require much more work and accuracy than my current setup. That's my main issue with it. Although I don't know what "shallow water culture" is; so I'll go do some reading up on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

B

bonbonbondia

I had a 150w hps not currently being used in the backyard (winter) so I have wired that up and rigged a way to hang it in my veg half of my box. (LR2 mixed pack grow) to see if it has any heating issues and to test any changes. It's been in there two days and it is not getting too hot and the fan in there is cooling the light. Its it works out, I'll have to figure out a better hanging method.

I think I am going to order some Panda Film. Anybody with experience using it: Can you cut it without screwing it up? I'll need to cut it to line the box with it.

P

ProGroWannabe

Nice to hear you found that HPS light. That's a step in the right direction.

The Panda film...aka Black and White Poly is thick plastic sheeting, but is extremely flexible allowing one to cut it with scissors or a utility knife easily.

You can look up a member here named Donk Frog. He runs SWC in a Producer cabinet built by B.C. Northern Lights. He rocks some yield out of his with a special pheno of Chronic. Maybe he could offer you some insight on his maintainence duties?

That brings me to another point.....strain selection. What strains have you ran in there?

B

bonbonbondia

The Panda film...aka Black and White Poly is thick plastic sheeting, but is extremely flexible allowing one to cut it with scissors or a utility knife easily.

Good to know, it's on my list to be ordered up soon.

You can look up a member here named Donk Frog. He runs SWC in a Producer cabinet built by B.C. Northern Lights. He rocks some yield out of his with a special pheno of Chronic. Maybe he could offer you some insight on his maintainence duties?
Will search out his threads, thanks.

That brings me to another point.....strain selection. What strains have you ran in there?

I have grown in the box:
euforia, white satin, hashberry, LR2, and currently have euforia flowering and just started a LR mixed pack and LL ak47 grow in the other half of the box. The euforia has definitely performed the best and been my favorite. I have one euforia flowering that is on its 3rd goaround (reveg) and is looking just as fabulous as the newer unrevegged euforia plant I have going.

The "hashberry" was my first grow and the seeds came from a bag I picked up at a GratefulDead concert. I only know it was hashberry based on what the guy told me when I bought it. It might not have been HB but they sure did turn out nice. There were only 2 seeds in the bag and both germed and were females. I got two harvests out of them. On the 2nd reveg they got all stretched and horrible looking.

I also made some seeds from LR2 x "hashberry". This was my first experiment with making seeds. The results were pretty decent. The plants did not autoflower, but stayed low and gave off decent smoke. Unfortunately they refused to reveg and that cross is now gone to me. :(

I am definitely open to ideas. I much prefer sativas -- they work for me like an ADHD medicine -- but obviously my box is not ideal for them. I was considering trying something exotic or unique in my next grow: something purple or fruity or just different. For some reason while I was wandering seedbanks this strain yelled out to me to give it a try: http://www.drchronic.com/products.asp?recnumber=132 (Brazil kc) Like I said, I am open to suggestions.

My current plan is to pollinate some of the branches of the euforia with the best of the males from the LR2 mixed pack grow and make an LRxeuforia cross to experiment with.

P

ProGroWannabe

I've heard some nice things said of KC Brains strains but I've never grown any of his gear before, personally. Give it a shot.

The reason I brought up strain selection is because that is the single most important consideration when one is looking to improve yield. If a strain is naturally a low yielder, you can throw all the money you want into a growspace, but that plant is not going to magically turn into a big yielder. On the otherhand, a good yileder will still yield decent in a less than perfect environment.

There are many strains that will yield well. SOL strains are suppose to all yield well as does Serious Seeds strains. SOL is available here.

Sorry my posts are so long......just trying to offer "food for thought" is all.

B

bonbonbondia

Sorry my posts are so long......just trying to offer "food for thought" is all.

Nothing to be sorry for, that's why I started the thread. Since my grows are only for the wifey and me; given a choice between yield and quality: quality wins. :mmm

With that, here are a couple pics of one of the euforia plants 3 weeks into flower. Currently sharing 168w2700k and 104w6500k in 3sqft.

Euf1
Euf2
Top Bottom