Warehouse Grower's

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes. But I am in LA county and it is not city of LA.
He's L.A. Co. Fire. Works good, no? IIRC, he's at one of the South Central stations.

Doesn't Los Angeles use Los Angeles County Fire for the entire county vs. police where there are Sheriffs like in Compton and municipal police in Hermosa Beach, etc.?
No, Los Angeles has the LAPD (you have to have heard about those cats, right?). County, the sheriff's department, is for unincorporated areas, or cities like where my folks live that don't have their own services (however, where my folks live there's a volunteer department that most trainees try to get into--improves their resume). So, where my folks are is now incorporated, but the city can't pay for their own police or emergency services, so they contract with the sheriff's department (L.A. Co) and another city for emergency medical services outside fire/paramedical via the volunteer department.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

So, no one who is currently running an OP in a warehouse has advice about whether they look for landlord or management property?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
So, no one who is currently running an OP in a warehouse has advice about whether they look for landlord or management property?

You can speak with a commercial broker and tell him/her you want to use the space for growing. There are still a lot of vacant buildings that landlords want to rent, so the agent will very likely be able to find someone who is cool with you doing whatever you want as long as you pay the rent on time.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
He's L.A. Co. Fire. Works good, no? IIRC, he's at one of the South Central stations.

No, Los Angeles has the LAPD (you have to have heard about those cats, right?). County, the sheriff's department, is for unincorporated areas, or cities like where my folks live that don't have their own services (however, where my folks live there's a volunteer department that most trainees try to get into--improves their resume). So, where my folks are is now incorporated, but the city can't pay for their own police or emergency services, so they contract with the sheriff's department (L.A. Co) and another city for emergency medical services outside fire/paramedical via the volunteer department.

Can you call him and ask him what is involved with a fire inspection, and what they would do if they came across a 12 plant grow op. Do they have a duty to inform police? Then answer here in this thread. That would be awesome intel.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have experienced the Fire Department inspections first hand. They get in by saying they are checking to make sure you have a fire extinguisher. They check that it is still good, and when it is good til. Also they want to come in and check the placement of the extinguisher.

What the fuck ever with that shit. They are just trying to catch people doing something illegal.

Bitches be trippin'! :)

Not IME- yes, they will want to see the grow, for the WIRING. I have yet to meet a firefighter who wants anything to do with law enforcement- not their job, not their interest, not their training. They just want to save lives, and if it's yours they're trying to save with an inspection, try to be gracious.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Not IME- yes, they will want to see the grow, for the WIRING. I have yet to meet a firefighter who wants anything to do with law enforcement- not their job, not their interest, not their training. They just want to save lives, and if it's yours they're trying to save with an inspection, try to be gracious.
Id be more afraid of who the fire inspectors wife shares a bottle of wine with and who she would know/be married to and might be bored and gossipy enough to make a fuss.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Id be more afraid of who the fire inspectors wife shares a bottle of wine with and who she would know/be married to and might be bored and gossipy enough to make a fuss.

Sopranos style, the shrinks husband talking to their friends passing conversation and what not..

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Look for a flex type unit with no sprinklers, tell your landlord your using it for storage and a small medical grow OP ( Be upfront and just go into every industrial park you see asking until you find a cool LL).Set up discreetly and make sure you choose a unit where air conditioner condensers can be placed out of sight on the roof or in a fenced area. Make sure your Contractor, Electrician, HVAC set up everything to your counties and N.E.C. guidelines ( No powerbox's or out the box lighting controllers). So if fire Marshall does decide to drop in you won't have to take everything down and get countless tickets for having a unsafe structure, the fines alone will cost a fortune. Your PG&E bill won't be sent to your landlord, only you.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Look for a flex type unit with no sprinklers, tell your landlord your using it for storage and a small medical grow OP ( Be upfront and just go into every industrial park you see asking until you find a cool LL).Set up discreetly and make sure you choose a unit where air conditioner condensers can be placed out of sight on the roof or in a fenced area. Make sure your Contractor, Electrician, HVAC set up everything to your counties and N.E.C. guidelines ( No powerbox's or out the box lighting controllers). So if fire Marshall does decide to drop in you won't have to take everything down and get countless tickets for having a unsafe structure, the fines alone will cost a fortune. Your PG&E bill won't be sent to your landlord, only you.

great info thnx, what do u mean by a flex type unit?

confu

Jboys3

Jboys3

Since I have operated a couple of businesses in the past perhaps I can provide some input. My businesses were not for grow sites. Most warehouses are required to have sprinkler systems. Any mechanical/electrical upgrades require a permit pulled with inspections completed before a business can operate. Storage 'upgrades' would require the same permits. This includes a fire marshal inspection. Fire marshals are ususlly required to do a sprinkler and extinquisher inspection yearly for a business.

Good Luck as you will need lots of cool people to get this through.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

It always costs more than you think to setup and be growing at full capacity.
Here's some advice and/or what to look for if anyone is looking into a space- this applies to home rigs and big buildings.
-Inspect the electricity/power infrastructure. This is includes but is not limited to: How many amps are supplied to the space and where those panels are located. If it is an old install (more than 20+ years ago) then ample renovation is likely needed. As commercial growers use a LOT of power all the time you will be pushing those amps to the limit real quick. Problems often arise when a building has been used for a previous purpose that was not using the setup to its max capacity and all of a sudden a commercial grower comes along and is pushing all the capable amps out of a panel- this leads to power failure which worsens as the system is used and could cause a fire. If I'm seriously interested in a place, I have an electrician walk through it all with me before getting my hopes up.
-Locate the water main. Is it hard to work with/shut off? Will pipes freeze in the winter that may require insulation? Do you have to spend $ to upgrade it? It sucks if have to water and all of a sudden the pipes are frozen.
-Is there an industrial sink available? Can one be installed fairly easily? Do you have a good general contractor? Are you a handyman/woman?- (You will be to some degree after you build one of these things)
-Are the gas mains easy to locate and access (Co2 production)
-Check the insulation and how drafty the building is. Number one problem is security hands down. Smell is your enemy. Sealing up cracks, framing new walls and/or checking doors/windors and exits for leaks should all be in you're budget.
Since I doubt anyone has the dough to throw at security camera's and a high end security system in general their first run- carbon filters are your first line of defense against unwanted attention.
- Fenced lots are the best, good comment up there about condensers being out of sight or on a roof.
-Entrance to the space should not be within clear sight of any main road.

If you make it this far..
- Review the lease terms closely if not hire a lawyer to do it for you. Watch out for clauses that restrict you're right to a trail in court if the LL breaks a term and/or is found guilty of negligence of some sort. This is why being upfront with the purpose of the property is a must IMHO.
- If you can negotiate a few months in the lease for setup- rent free. It can happen with a 5+ year lease which is what most commercial LL want.

I just wow. Hope this helps people. There is so much more but I'm tired. Let the loving come back to me.

thump easy

thump easy

Lolz Los angles police dose not fuck around!!!! I got some stories for you but I rather not say

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What do you think are the worst stations? IME Hollywood south of Sunset, and Silver Lake are the worst LAPD has to offer. The only time I ever had a problem with a police officer (during a riot) was with LAPD. What district was I in..? It was during the LA Street Scene, anyone remember when they tried that? Near downtown, I wanna say not too far from Skid Row, past Little Tokyo and that area, west of the train station.

God, I used to spend so much time down there! All the underground shows and clubs in the old warehouses and, some particularly memorable ones in some old, formerly grand hotels. In one place the show (John Doe and Exene doing a show in the basement bar) and my friends and I went upstairs and headed toward the roof, and on our way a family was dragging a cow in through the staff elevator to slaughter upstairs. I wonder if that place is still around, I saw a few shows around there now that I think about it again.

And in high school I used to drag the gear around for my friends who became Stryper to Hollywood and stuff. They did a lot of shows at Gazzari's.

thump easy

thump easy

never mind i will have to pass on that.. be carefull is all i got to say about that one

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom