Warning about "Biosolids" aka Human shit

• Thread starter LeonardoDeGarden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LeonardoDeGarden

LeonardoDeGarden

I'm sure most of you already know, but for those that don't, "Biosolids" that are sometimes sold in compost mixes is a euphemism for "treated sewage sludge". Not good for using to grow your cannabis with at all.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

are there any products out there right now throwin this shit in there? no pun intended

cannabeans

cannabeans

I had posted this in another thread but since this is the topic here, I will repost.....
http://www.sludgenews.org/about/
What is sewage sludge?

Sewage is the mix of water and whatever wastes from domestic and industrial life are flushed into the sewer. To retrieve the precious water, the sewage is then “treated,” that is, “cleaned,” in what are called “treatment plants.” The ideal of the treatment plant is to take out of the sewer water all the “wastes” that sewering put into it. The water is “cleaned” in the degree to which the pollutants which had turned the water into sewage are removed by treatment-primary, secondary, or tertiary-and concentrated in the sludge.

We must note that, though the aim of sewage treatment is to produce clean water, it is never to produce “clean” sludge. Indeed, the “dirtier” the sludge-the more complete its concentration of the noxious wastes-the more the treatment has done its job. If there are industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals, hormones, nano particles, prions, hospital wastes including antibiotic-resistant bacteria-and there will be all of these-you want them to end up in the sludge. Every waste produced in our society that can be got rid of down toilets and drains and that can also be got out of the sewage by a given treatment process will be in the sludge. Sludge is thus inevitably a noxious brew of vastly various and incompatible materials unpredictable in themselves and in the toxicity of their amalgamation, incalculably but certainly wildly dangerous to life.

The policy of disposing of sludge by spreading it on agricultural land-a policy given the benign term “land application”-has its inception in the Ocean Dumping ban of 1987. Before 1992, when the law went into effect, the practice had been, after extracting the sludge from the wastewater, to load it on barges and dump it 12, and later 106 miles off shore into the ocean.

But many people who cared about life in the ocean knew that, wherever it was dumped, the sludge was causing vast dead moon-scapes on the ocean floor. New EPA regulations for “land application” were promulgated in 1993. With the aid of heating and pelletizing and some slippery name morphs along the way, EPA claimed sludge could be transmogrified into “compost”: compost, the sacred substance of all real farmers. And this “compost,” this Trojan Horse replete with the most complex array of toxic materials industrial civilization has ever known, would “fertilize” America's farmlands.

To carry out this plan EPA made a “win-win” deal with some solid-waste hauling corporations. In return for taking the sludge off the hands of municipalities, the corporate haulers would get the tax dollars that had previously gone to pay for dumping the sludge in the local landfill. This deal was indeed a “win” for municipal authorities who had suffered the mess, and worse the liability of sludge; it was a “win” for the corporations which, besides getting the tax dollars, wouldn't suffer from the liability either because that, amazingly, was transferred to the farmer on whose land the sludge is spread.

But the land “application” of sewage sludge represents a clear lose-lose-for people and for the environment-on a scale staggering to contemplate. It will pollute the whole chain of life for which soil is the base.

LeonardoDeGarden

LeonardoDeGarden

The policy of disposing of sludge by spreading it on agricultural land-a policy given the benign term “land application”-has its inception in the Ocean Dumping ban of 1987. Before 1992, when the law went into effect, the practice had been, after extracting the sludge from the wastewater, to load it on barges and dump it 12, and later 106 miles off shore into the ocean.

But many people who cared about life in the ocean knew that, wherever it was dumped, the sludge was causing vast dead moon-scapes on the ocean floor. New EPA regulations for “land application” were promulgated in 1993. With the aid of heating and pelletizing and some slippery name morphs along the way, EPA claimed sludge could be transmogrified into “compost”: compost, the sacred substance of all real farmers.

Too toxic for the ocean, but claimed to be safe enough to use to grow food? That's a hint right there.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Too toxic for the ocean, but claimed to be safe enough to use to grow food? That's a hint right there.
Mmm... I can see what would happen in the ocean dumping all that nitrogen, in whatever form, in large quantities can and would do (cause 'red tide' for one thing). I can also see that terrestrial organisms are far better suited to handle this. I wouldn't grow food with it, not because of heavy metals, but because of the possibility of bad microbes and pharmaceuticals being present. Otherwise, I think it should be used, on land, in some capacity. Otherwise, what happens to it? It doesn't disappear.

LeonardoDeGarden

LeonardoDeGarden

...Otherwise, what happens to it? It doesn't disappear.

Reforesting? Restoring strip mine sites? Other places that it might do more good than harm? I just don't want it on my food or my smoke.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Human waste has been used since the beginning of time to grow food. Today my issue with it is the amount of pharmaceuticals in the stuff from all the pill poppers out there. I even have some concerns about composted shit because of the injections they give animals. There are so many issues about using this stuff, one I have is when it is absorbed by the plants what happens when you burn it like on the BBQ. Cooking your favorite peppers on the BBQ that have been fert by human waste?

Much like using chemicals to kill pests, they are fine but what happens when you put a flame to it. For example if you spray your plants with Avid to kill spider-mites what does it turn into when you spark up a joint???

More sleepless nights puff puff puff

sun

sun

A couple years ago I read about a hep c out break in Seattle caused by unscrupulous growers using human waste.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you think you can find it again, sun?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
would OMRI cert. Biosolids? o_O
Patioplusnewbag

Boogi3Man

Boogi3Man

Here in Tacoma I've heard of people using tagro! It's free in any amount it's supposed to be safe ! Web search it Tacoma tagro

Latest posts

Top Bottom