• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for trying, sun!
would OMRI cert. Biosolids? o_O
View attachment 299017
Ahh... OMRI is not a certification agency, they're a... I guess you could call them a listing agent. Biosolids are not part of an approved organic program (based on NOP standards), this much I know. This is what makes the OMRI listing an issue, brings it down a level. I feel this is a problem, because seeing the OMRI label makes purchases, from the consumer perspective, much easier to discern.

OMRI's mission statement.
Founded in 1997, the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) provides organic certifiers, growers, manufacturers, and suppliers an independent review of products intended for use in certified organic production, handling, and processing. OMRI is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. When companies apply, OMRI reviews their products against the National Organic Standards. Acceptable products are OMRI Listed® and appear on the OMRI Products List. OMRI also provides subscribers and certifiers guidance on the acceptability of various material inputs in general under the National Organic Program.
A note about sewage sludge.
About Sewage Sludge
Branded products containing sewage sludge

The majority of sewage sludge is hauled away in trucks and disposed of on American farms. Some is given away or sold as “compost.” Some is dried and made into pellets, bagged, and sold as fertilizer. And sometimes sludge is “blended” into bagged fertilizers. There is no labeling requirement. Sometimes the product is called “biosolids,” sometimes not.

If sewage sludge -- whether “treated” or not -- is used as a fertilizer on crops, the food from these crops cannot receive USDA organic certification. But there is no federal rule that forbids non-organic fertilizers from using the term “organic.” The grower must know what he or she is putting on his or her fields. Gardeners, too, have to do some investigative work if they buy compost or fertilizer.

The Institute for Trade and Agriculture Policy has a guide on buying sludge-free products. Download it from IATP, or scroll down the page on this link.
The largest marketer, processor, and hauler of sludge is Synagro, Inc., a company owned by the Carlyle Group.

Branded Products Containing Sewage Sludge
(If you have a sludge product to add, please send information to info at sludgenews.org.)
  • All-Gro (Synagro)
  • Granulite (Synagro)
  • Chesapeake Sunshine
  • EarthMate (Philadelphia, PA)
  • Nutri-Green (Virginia Beach, VA)
  • MetroGro (Madison, WI)
  • ORGRO (Baltimore, MD, Veolia Water North America)
  • Bay State Fertilizer (Boston, MA)
  • GroCo (Seattle, WA)
  • SilviGrow (Seattle, WA)
  • Oceangro (NJ)
  • TAGRO (Tacoma, WA)
  • SoundGro (Pierce County, WA)
  • Milorganite (Milwaukee, WI)
  • WeCare Compost (NY)
  • CompostT (Pennsylvania)
  • EKO Compost (Missoula, Maui, Lewiston plant on Idaho-Wahington border)
  • Dillo Dirt (Austin, TX)
  • Glacier Gold (Olney, MT)
  • EarthBlends (New York City, a product of Synagro, sold by WeCare)
  • Agresoil (MA)
  • Earthlife (New England, a product of New England Organics)
  • TOPGRO (Los Angeles, CA)
  • N-Viro Soil
  • N-Viro BioBlend
  • Landscapers' Advantage (Camden, NJ)
  • Hou-Actinite (Houston, TX)
  • ComPro (Washington, D.C.)
  • Mine Mix (Philadelphia, PA)
  • Kellogg Nitrohumus, Gromulch, Amend and Topper (Kellogg Garden Products, Los Angeles, CA)
  • Growers' Blend by Earthwise Organics (a Synagro subsidiary)
  • Unity Fertilizer (Unity Envirotech LLC, Florida-baded)
  • Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil (Scott's Miracle-Gro Company says, "Some of the most common organic plant foods are bone meal, cottonseed meal, blood meal, fish emulsion, activated sewage and manures.")

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Why am I NOT surprised to see Miracle Gro on that list They even defend themselves by saying 'activated sewage' is most common......fucking disgusting.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Scott's/MG are jumping onto the organic bandwagon, which means a lot of coopting.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't use soil indoors, but outdoors I'll stick with 50/50 Sunshine #4/Ocean Forest. No bio-solids in that stuff.

Boogi3Man

Boogi3Man

Man that's horrible to realize ! I think if they indicated on the label that human duce matter might be present that people might leave this crap where it sits! No pun intended! The guy I knew here locally that used to frequent my collective that used tagro in his grows had all sorta of health issues. Are they related I'm pretty sure not , but still it always made me think man your growing and smoking shit dog !

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
psssst...hey Seamaiden; I am using pinegrovedaves method of feeding this years volunteers ;)

reeldrag

reeldrag

I got this ass clown of a neighbor i think I'm gonna do him a favor and go drop a load of nutes in his plant. Gonna make sure I eat about 3 cans of corn first

ttystikk

ttystikk

I believe the issue with using human waste as a fertilizer boils down to heavy metals, inorganic chemicals, drugs and hormones. These are issues with OUR 'modern' society and culture; composted human waste has been a fertilizer source since the dawn of agriculture!

Even if it isn't an organic practice, spreading it on farmland should not have negative long term consequences, as long as levels of the above materials are monitored in the soil. I would not use any of this in a garden near one's house, or indoors. It's not the turds, it's the dust...

The developing world uses a lot of human waste in agriculture; I personally had a tenant who was working with the local University to commercialize the collection and conversion of human waste into fertilizer- and methane for running generators for powering small villages! He wasn't a wild eyed visionary; he was a mid level official in China's Ministry of Agriculture, here on an official exchange visit.

That's some serious shit right there...

Top Bottom