Was going for autos, decided for photo's instead. So, repotting? Yes? No?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Hi again.

I was going to use an autoflower variety for my first grow, but on second thought will use photoperiodic, as I feel it will be a better learning experience.

I purchased large pots as I was planning on germinate the (auto) seeds in their final containers.

Now... using photoperiodic plants, which will probably veg and bloom longer, is there really any advantage on having an intermediary repotting before moving it to the final (larger) container?

Thanks.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

The better question is - why would you start your seed off in its final pot if its not an auto? You seem to be asking the question in reverse :)

Much easier to control/feed/water a plant when its in a manageable sized pot & it's normal operating procedure to transplant 2-3 times with a photoperiod. Small plant with no roots in a large pot is a recipe for disaster most of the time unless you're experienced.

Toscano

Toscano

The better question is - why would you start your seed off in its final pot if its not an auto? You seem to be asking the question in reverse :)

I guess you're right on that one! :-)
But it was mainly a practical question for me: already purchased the larger pots, as I was initially planning on using autos.

So I guess I'll find some smaller pots to start with.

Much easier to control/feed/water a plant when its in a manageable sized pot & it's normal operating procedure to transplant 2-3 times with a photoperiod. Small plant with no roots in a large pot is a recipe for disaster most of the time unless you're experienced.

Makes sense, especially the managing side of things in the first few weeks.

May I ask at what stage would you transplant from the medium to larger/final pot?

Thanks.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I never do multiple repotting/transplanting. Go from solo cup to permeant grow pot be it photo or auto.

Transplant

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I guess you're right on that one! :-)
But it was mainly a practical question for me: already purchased the larger pots, as I was initially planning on using autos.

So I guess I'll find some smaller pots to start with.

Makes sense, especially the managing side of things in the first few weeks.

May I ask at what stage would you transplant from the medium to larger/final pot?

Thanks.

I personally go from 4" nursery pots -> 1 gallon pots -> final pot and I typically will transplant once the leaves outgrow the edges of the pot they are in. You'll eventually get a good feel for it.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I'm planning to go from 3-inch plastic nursery pots to 7-gallon fiber pots for my next grow. I used intermediate 2-gallon plastic pots for my current grow. I'm pretty sure the plants will grow differently--perhaps slower for a while after transplant. I believe not allowing the plants to become root-bound may be better for the overall health of the plants. Fabric pots naturally air prune roots so that more roots can be grow from the center of the plant. That said, I wouldn't advise against using an intermediate pot, especially if using plastic pots.

I personally go from 4" nursery pots -> 1 gallon pots -> final pot and I typically will transplant once the leaves outgrow the edges of the pot they are in. You'll eventually get a good feel for it.
I believe that's very good advice about when to transplant. I'd guess that there's a predictable relationship between the size of the plant above ground with the size of the plant below ground. I will also look for a root to appear at the bottom holes of the plastic 3-inch pots I use. Usually, when I see one, there are many I don't see.

2Bad

2Bad

Has to be soil @Madmax .. coco/perlite is too much research. lol. I'm with Shaded......always..lmao......if you don't repot your stuck watering the entire thing everytime.. roots don't grow into dry soil.

edit: even autos should be repotted ...new research shows it shouldn't be started in their forever home

Madmax

Madmax

Haha..yeah.i like my coco/perlite i up pot 4 times.one its in then day 7,18,35.🤗

Madmax

Madmax

It is a pita lol...ive just started using a wet vac.sucked a couple leaves off a plant more than once waving it about while i was repositioning the fan on floor 😂😂😂

2Bad

2Bad

It is a pita lol...ive just started using a wet vac.sucked a couple leaves off a plant more than once waving it about while i was repositioning the fan on floor 😂😂😂
too much work for me still lol =P

Top Bottom