wasting soil when planting regular seeds

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

ok so when planting regular seeds how do you keep from wasting so much soil with male plants ? if you planted 10 seed all of the germinated and 5 were males if using fox farm soil that 50 dollars a bag you would need 2 or 3 bags if going with 3 gallon pots
dont use expensive bags .promix hp is 35$ for 1.1? cu ft . I think?
they can grow in 4 to 8 "pots.
you can sex them in veg at around 4 weeks without flowering them

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

Bagged “potting soil” is not like the dirt outside. It is usually peat and perlite and amendments. Peat compacts with use and loses its drainage properties.

the answer to the threads question is keep the plants until maturity in a 1 gallon pot or take and label cuttings and put them in 12/12 lighting for a couple weeks and see if they are male or female and then transplant the moms only.

maybe some regular seed growers will chime in with more ideas.
if you look behind the BRACT ( a single leaflet at the node, stalk, branch intersection) behind the bract 6ou see the primordial or pre flower sex organ . with a small pocket scope you can look at it .Males will look like either a crab claw or a ace of clubs. a little stalk with some little balls on top . the crab claw looks very curved.
The FEMALE looks like a very slender vase with a hair coming out if it . its look is almost straight but slightly curved .
now there could just be a bit of leaf undifferentiated and look like either Male or female
Bagged “potting soil” is not like the dirt outside. It is usually peat and perlite and amendments. Peat compacts with use and loses its drainage properties.

the answer to the threads question is keep the plants until maturity in a 1 gallon pot or take and label cuttings and put them in 12/12 lighting for a couple weeks and see if they are male or female and then transplant the moms only.

maybe some regular seed growers will chime in with more ideas.
you can sex them at about 4 weeks by looking at the primordia which is a pre flower sex organ at the intersection of the stalk/branch /leaf petiol behind 5he bract. ( little single leaflet) .it will either look like a crab claw or ace of clubs or a long slender slightly curved vase with a little hair coming out if it.
it is very small ( 1mm) and will most likely need a small pocket scope .
sometimes it is still unsexed and the little leafs could be mistaken for one or another.
my opinion is you will be able to identify 80 to 90% of them immediately if not all.
I have had a VERY high success rate bordering on 100%

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I describe them as:

Male:

Tiny watermelon with what looks like stripes similar to that as a watermelon. Similar in shape and often will have a tiny stem base.

Female:

Tear drop shaped but even a bit more slender. Instead of what looks like multiple stripes will have 2 opposit eachother. This is where it will split and the pitsils (2 tiny hairs) will proteude from to confirm female.

I'll go through my pics and see if I can find an example

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Male... the stripes are where they split as you can see they fold out manly places vs a female that splits. Notice the tiny stem connecting the organ to the plant. And the much more round shape like a watermelon.

IMG 20200702 130336
IMG 20200702 131051
IMG 20200702 131105
johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

Male... the stripes are where they split as you can see they fold out manly places vs a female that splits. Notice the tiny stem connecting the organ to the plant. And the much more round shape like a watermelon.
yup , those are relatively large . you can see them when they are about 1/10th that size when they barely be seen behind the bract . not to the naked eye , or not to most people anyway

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

yup , those are relatively large . you can see them when they are about 1/10th that size when they barely be seen behind the bract . not to the naked eye , or not to most people anyway
Yeah like this under a microscope... just easier to wait a bit. Looks female to me but still hard to tell. And the pistils don't come out until they are larger like the pics I shown

20201105 115424
johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

Cheap amazon microscope 1000x lol hard to hold steady and get where ya want but surprised at the quality. Plugs into your phone
holy shit 1000x ? or 100x? ..I have a table top old Russian model and it is 100/250/400 and a 1000x but it requires oil immersion

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

holy shit 1000x ? or 100x? ..I have a table top old Russian model and it is 100/250/400 and a 1000x but it requires oil immersion

Just need to DL the software from them direct because of the change to support by Google? I think.

It's cheap and focus can be a pita but for $30 no way can I complain

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

if you look behind the BRACT ( a single leaflet at the node, stalk, branch intersection) behind the bract 6ou see the primordial or pre flower sex organ . with a small pocket scope you can look at it .Males will look like either a crab claw or a ace of clubs. a little stalk with some little balls on top . the crab claw looks very curved.
The FEMALE looks like a very slender vase with a hair coming out if it . its look is almost straight but slightly curved .
now there could just be a bit of leaf undifferentiated and look like either Male or female

you can sex them at about 4 weeks by looking at the primordia which is a pre flower sex organ at the intersection of the stalk/branch /leaf petiol behind 5he bract. ( little single leaflet) .it will either look like a crab claw or ace of clubs or a long slender slightly curved vase with a little hair coming out if it.
it is very small ( 1mm) and will most likely need a small pocket scope .
sometimes it is still unsexed and the little leafs could be mistaken for one or another.
my opinion is you will be able to identify 80 to 90% of them immediately if not all.
I have had a VERY high success rate bordering on 100%

Yes i am aware but like you said not all plants show in the time frame you say or at all before flowering.

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

Yes i am aware but like you said not all plants show in the time frame you say or at all before flowering.
you will get 80 % at least. that's 80% less t
waste and time reducing the space .those 20% undecided are a lot less issue

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

doesnt help me. I run a perpetual and plug plants in the flower room as space opens for harvests every week or two.

i use feminized seeds for this purpose.
so then you dont need to know anything .the point is moot .you go with the great and hope for the best .

Top Bottom