Water Chilling Q & A

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stonestacker

stonestacker

I have a strain that's a temp bish. 1 of 18 I run have this issue. Aside from just putting them on my cold basement floor last night, chilling the water is needed.

If I didn't like this strain, I would never even bother.

Try cloning the 1 in trays with rock wool or root plugs and set on the floor. I went back to trays and rockwool just set it and check back in 2 weeks to up pot. I don't even put them under lights just on a table in the veg room lol.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The unit pictured above is a dual circuit chiller with warm and cold tanks and pumps underneath and the compressor and condenser section above. I got it for maximum versatility and to try different configurations for various systems for hydronic heating and cooling.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

There have been others, but I think it's time to build a new thread about water chilling as a viable, if not outright superior alternative to climate conditioning indoor gardening spaces to traditional AC approaches.

My own experience is this; basic AC only addresses temperature and does not regulate humidor well. While this is acceptable in an office environment, an indoor growing space is a completely different situation.

It is therefore my contention that about half of a typical indoor grow's cooling bill could be saved with the use of chilling. This savings can be increased with a heat pump, geothermal and certain other technologies beyond the scope of this thread.

I hope I didn't bore you, I'm trying to save you a fortune!
I'm running a 6x6 tent, and would love to get one of those Hailea chillers.

My magnetic drive pump can push 50-60litres of water a minute, and i use 19mm ice line hoses.

After reading your post it would be great to save on A/C costs.

Are Hailea the best chillers out there?

Or can something better be built with a DIY?

Love building stuff.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

Would anyone recommend using a Wortchiller?

I thought i could throw something like this into a cooler full of ice and water?

Worth the trouble?

Screenshot from 2023 10 11 16 59 57
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

After trying frozen water bottles, I'm going to just buy a chiller, the frozen water bottles simply aren't cutting it.

Was tempting to try the worth but nope, wont be worth the trouble.

Running a chiller will save me from high A/C costs.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

I decided I'm going to try a wort chiller instead and immerse that into an esky/cooler box with water.

Tight for cash atm so wort chiller for now and will see how that will go.

Can i just immerse the wort into water and use frozen water bottles?

If i do that, can i keep the lid to the cooler box open a little, or should i drill holes into the side of it and run the hoses through so the lid is always closed?

Does anyone have any pics of a similar set up they could share? 🥶

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

Cooler , wort coil. You must intend using a pump ,😀.

Your almost there for full out system.
Hey Smokey, oh yeah i have a magnetic drive pump, does 52liters a minute, about to get a cooler and hook it all up. 😁

Z

Zatoichi

When I experimented with RDWC before going to coco, in main reservoir i had fishtank heater set at 68F and would put in one or two 2 liter bottles frozen solid in freezer every day.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

When I experimented with RDWC before going to coco, in main reservoir i had fishtank heater set at 68F and would put in one or two 2 liter bottles frozen solid in freezer every day.

That's a good idea...so wait you went to coco after using RDWC? 🤯

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

Cooler , wort coil. You must intend using a pump ,😀.

Your almost there for full out system.
Hey Smokey i haven't been able to find a single picture of a wort chiller immersed into a cooler.

My wort is pretty large and struggling to find a cooler box to house it in, can you share any pics?

My wort's inlet and and outlet are pretty high, and cooler box's aren't that high, so not sure what i can do so it's fully immersed in cold water..do people leave the lids open on their coolers, etc?

I just want to run the water from my system through the wort and back into the main res.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

Hey Smokey i haven't been able to find a single picture of a wort chiller immersed into a cooler.

My wort is pretty large and struggling to find a cooler box to house it in, can you share any pics?

My wort's inlet and and outlet are pretty high, and cooler box's aren't that high, so not sure what i can do so it's fully immersed in cold water..do people leave the lids open on their coolers, etc?

I just want to run the water from my system through the wort and back into the main res.
I'm relying to my own post!

I figured out what i have to do..so all good!

Angle grinder to reduce the height of the wort...problem solved!😋

Top Bottom