Water cooled growrooms; if it works in your car...

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

Why the hell would you do that?

Maybe as a preheat tank for your hot water tank (Something I've considered) might make some sense.

A lot of hassle for very little cooling unless he's running a laundrette!

Also cooling will be random and uncontrolled!

That is what people are trying to explain. I don't think anyone is denying watercooling works, when PROPERLY designed, just there are some design flaws in this build.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Eyed up the deltec one before I bought the pool, I like the pool though I can swim in it in summer which is good, the heat signature is more spread out over a larger surface area which in potential will deliver superior cooling watt for watt and less detectable to a police chopper.

The evap cooler will have a localised heat signature which will show up on FLIR I would think.

The pool would raise under a 1f in a whole day which should easily naturally dissipate.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

This is very true I installed my pool specifically for grow cooling in the UK 8-9 months a year the pool is freezing! It's an above ground pool I bought cheap and relined being above ground it should leak off the heat nicely.

My plan is/was to grow only between Sep to May, I just checked the pool 7C. I have ~11000l's to play with and only 1-2kw of light to cool.

you installed a pool in order to cool 1-2k of lights? nice allocation of resources.

Desertboy

Desertboy

you installed a pool in order to cool 1-2k of lights? nice allocation of resources.

I like pools so it was more complicated than that but the kicks factor and eliminating the heat signature were the major drives. I haven't used it for cooling yet and I don't regret buying it so I guess even if I never use it too cool it was a worthwile purchase.

Pool cost ~$600 in total so it wasn't killer, I've been in it already this year it's fucking cold.

I don't need more the 1-2K of lights at any time that more than full fills my needs even with taking 3 months a year off growing for summer.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I did my research on this and found it way to difficult to control and way to expensive in both terms of equipement and electricity.

You have to have everything dialed in and unless it is pc controlled it is a daily job controlling condensation.

Equipement... you need pipe, hose, fittings, clamps, fans, chiller, pumps, rez's, ect.

Some of these things pull alot of juice... my pump alone was running 7.4 amp at 230 volts which is a constant 24 hr 1700 watts.

then you have the chiller which was running... was going to be running about the same.

Not to mention... all circuits to run these bad boys... just to cool 3 lights.

I decided to spend the money on a minisplit... best investment I ever made... runs at 1300 watts and cost 1/4 of a water cooled system.

Just my .02 guys... take it for what it is worth as I spent alot of sleepless nights looking this stuff up.

R

RMCG

Agreed. I LOVE the idea of it, but it is not feasible on a large scale, from a cost standpoint or a 'short term' solution, definitely a long term investment.

IF I had geothermal, wells (plural), or farm pond/river available, I would be all over it.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Watercooling is certainly not for everyone, if you need to use chiller to keep the water cold then it's expensive energy cost and air con makes more sense.

If though you have access to cold water for low energy then it makes a lot sense.

1.7kw pump must have been a beast my 7000l/h pump does 7m head height for 200w and is more than up to the job of getting my water from the pool to the grow room I built. (I don't use the room I built, I grow in my attic at the moment, so no no on getting water up there but after the summer I reckon I'll grow in my grow shed which is <10 ft from my pool and the same level.

I figured using 4 of those heat exchanger and 1 100w etaline with 2 8-12" reducer's would totally cover any cooling needs for an electrical cost of ~0.3 kw/h

I ran that homebrewed one with a maxijet 1000 and it cooled 2 600w so I reckon my system will overkill it it's whether the pool is a suitable heat sink or not is another matter.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

It was a flotec 1 hp which was going to be used to feed the ice boxes and chil rez's.

R

RMCG

I'm still trying to work up cooling potential numbers with a combo of evap towers and/or a 'reverse' icebox AND a chiller, VERY similar to how datacenters cool the server rooms.

If you can drop the output water temp with the evap tower from 95* to 75* then feed that into a smaller chiller to bring it down from 75* to 60-55*, it ~may~ be cost effective.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

our chiller, co2 and ac are all run off our spring water which essentially runs right by our warehouse anyway. we simply divert the water through our rezzes and Ac first.

Im all for chilling, just was trying to warn you that paying for the water your chilling with could never be cost effective.

K

kamdavs

I'm glad I found this discussion. I was also looking into air cooling my room with a hydro innovations air handler paired with a jandy heater used as a chiller. I talked to the guys at Jandy and they said that it would put out 70,000 btu's of chilling, which would be around 6 tons.

Would a setup of having a 60 gallon rez with the Jandy heater and the hydro innovations 5 ton air handler hooked up, rather than getting a 5 ton AC? I was told that using water to chill the room would be more efficient and use less electricity. What do you guys think?

U

UCtestn

If you can drop the output water temp with the evap tower from 95* to 75* then feed that into a smaller chiller to bring it down from 75* to 60-55*, it ~may~ be cost effective.

Large evap towers seem to be kinda spendy. What options you looking at? I found some cooling towers at miami heat pump... Thought of running one. Quieter then an outdoor air cooled A/C compressor?

R

RMCG

Large evap towers seem to be kinda spendy. What options you looking at? I found some cooling towers at miami heat pump... Thought of running one. Quieter then an outdoor air cooled A/C compressor?

There are pool 'chillers' that are evap towers that are ~$1800(like the pic posted above, but I have found larger ones cheaper (50-100g ones) capable of 8k+ g 'chilling'. Recoup initial cost via electricity costs vs larger chiller.

I would imagine they are quieter than a compressorless chiller, basically the sound of the pump, the rest is 'passive'.

The other option is a reverse icebox, blow ambient air through an exchanger hooked up to the return water line, like Best Coast Growers Heat Xtractor.

[YOUTUBE]UmHp2ydAv1s[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a 10T cooling tower, capable of bringing 95* EWT to 85* LWT.

Not a huge difference, but could be the difference between needing a 3T chiller and a 5T.

U

UCtestn

I've always assumed the fans on the chilling towers would be very loud!

It would be interesting to have a water cooled A/C like the ones from http://www.miamihp.com/ and get a chilling tower. In summer, run the A/C. In winter, I assume the water would get cold enough in most climates to use a water cooled air handler or ice box equivalents.

R

RMCG

Ghetto-fabulous...

DIY-swimming-pool-cooler.jpg

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I am trying to go with the idea of KISS and GREEN

Is it possible to chill a room with HI new WCAH. Like only using geo thermal with water pump? EX: Like NO AC needs or chiller? Would just do copper lines like doing a house plumbing so i can assure my self to sleep no leaks will happen. Or maybe building several blowers of a DYI threw out the labs

R

RMCG

I don't see why geothermal would be an issue at all. I believe the water temps are 55* when it comes out of the ground. Is it an existing system? or something that you would put in?

If existing, it might not be sized properly for the increased heat load.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

More of a new Idea. Like to get some feed back on that. Almost seems a solid idea in my head.

Been trying to call around 50miles seeing about Replacing a few 5Ton AC with geothermal only. Kinda like are home boy UC here. Not even sure what it would cost for such upgrade.

R

RMCG

More of a new Idea. Like to get some feed back on that. Almost seems a solid idea in my head.

Been trying to call around 50miles seeing about Replacing a few 5Ton AC with geothermal only. Kinda like are home boy UC here. Not even sure what it would cost for such upgrade.

There is a big geothermal thread on icmag. Might have some info you are looking for.

ttystikk

ttystikk

RMCG posted this; The other option is a reverse icebox, blow ambient air through an exchanger hooked up to the return water line, like Best Coast Growers Heat Xtractor.

EXACTLY what I plan to use, only instead of the custom molded plastic housing doohickey for $180, I'm gonna use $40 heater cores from the local auto parts store. The way to keep cooling costs to a minimum is to only cool what oyu have to, so I'm still going to pull outside air through my hoods and vent it outside to take away as much heat from the hoods as possible, THEN use the active cooling to chill what's left in the growroom. This is why I think my setup will be effective with far lower capacity and smaller electric bills than the standard calculations.

Top Bottom