Water leaks after few seconds?

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Hello,

I have a question about leakage. I have been having this issue on and off. I use soil, 7 gallon buckets. Sometimes when I water my plants they start leaking from the bottom literally within 3 seconds. Why does this happen?

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Your soil is getting too dry, either on the top or through out the entire pot. Many factors cause this like plant drinking fast, low humidity, fans blowing on topsoil and such. Find a sweet spot on when to water, this takes trial and error being every grow is different in some way.
What's happening is thw water is passing the parched soil over and not absorbing. Let the plant sit in its runoff for a minute or two so the water can get its capillary action on!

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Your right my soil does look very dry but I do not understand why bec I water every 3 days. My humidity is at 55% You are also right about another thing. If I water for a few seconds then wait 20-30 minutes I can go finish watering and they won't leak no more. Is there any solution to this or should I raise my humidity?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Another reason this happens is that a crust forms when you water in the same manner repeatedly. For my own potted plants, I almost ALWAYS bottom-water, that is to say that I fill the tray they're in, rather than pouring water through the top of the soil. Since I've been doing it this way for so long, it's gotten very easy to gauge how much is enough without being too much.

55% RH is good, and can go higher IMO/IME.

So, the fix for this, IME, is to place the plants in a tray that's about 2"-4" tall, then add about an inch of water into that. Let it set for a few hours, then come back and see if there's water left. If not, you should probably add a bit more, unless you can see the soil on TOP is moist. That's how I do it.

Last edited:
sky high

sky high

Another option is to aerate the soil. If things get that dry you can poke a series of holes into the soil with a bamboo stake and then water til you see runoff. Either way, I concur that you are not watering thoroughly/enough.

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

I agree with all, also the soil constricts and tightens inside the container and that maybe why your water is getting out so fast. Before I water I just break up the topsoil with my hands and fill in the side of the container wall with the loose soil, then water the middle of the plant first and let the water work its way down and soak in.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Soils to dry,all the advice above is good.I like to pre-water with a little straight water first then go back and mix nutes/tea etc and water that in.You could try watering a little less and doing it every other day instead of every third day also,just curious as to what soil your in?Maybe a little added perlite would help with water retention.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Soils to dry,all the advice above is good.I like to pre-water with a little straight water first then go back and mix nutes/tea etc and water that in.You could try watering a little less and doing it every other day instead of every third day also,just curious as to what soil your in?Maybe a little added perlite would help with water retention.

I am in ProMix HP soil. Thanks for all the responses guys. I am going to try to poke small holes on top of the dirt as sky high said and see how that goes. Also, fishwhistle I have Perlite on top of the dirt of all my plants already.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Ok guys. Watered again yesterday and had the same issue. I bumped my Dehumid to 65% with medium speed. I tried some of the above techniques. I poked holes in the dirt (didn't work), I tried to break up the dirt on top before watering (didn't work), I watered with plain water for a few seconds then waited 15 minutes to water with nutes etc (still leaking within 3-5 seconds). Not sure what to do. The thing is a few days ago when I knew they were going to leak I just watered them a quarter of what I usually do then figured I would just re-water with normal dose within 48 hours. No luck :/

powerplant

powerplant

Sounds like you mixed in to much perlite, maybe your temps are to high or fans blowing to hard?. Either of these will cause your medium to dry out to fast and make them bone dry. This is the reason why its runs off so fast are you using Roots 707? What is your room temperature?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok guys. Watered again yesterday and had the same issue. I bumped my Dehumid to 65% with medium speed. I tried some of the above techniques. I poked holes in the dirt (didn't work), I tried to break up the dirt on top before watering (didn't work), I watered with plain water for a few seconds then waited 15 minutes to water with nutes etc (still leaking within 3-5 seconds). Not sure what to do. The thing is a few days ago when I knew they were going to leak I just watered them a quarter of what I usually do then figured I would just re-water with normal dose within 48 hours. No luck :/
Then just do what I said and be done with it. Get a tray that's got 2"-4" sides, put the plants in that, water the tray, not the plants. Capillary action will bring water into the soil.

powerplant

powerplant

Seamaiden gave you good advice... or water the plants, let the saucer collect the run off the Capillary action will take over. That way you don't have to come back in a couple hrs to check for the top being dry.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Sounds like you mixed in to much perlite, maybe your temps are to high or fans blowing to hard?. Either of these will cause your medium to dry out to fast and make them bone dry. This is the reason why its runs off so fast are you using Roots 707? What is your room temperature?

Room temp is at about 75. I use H&G Roots accell. I may have mixed in to much perlite but here is the thing. I am 7 weeks in, this issue just starting happening a few weeks ago on and off?

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Then just do what I said and be done with it. Get a tray that's got 2"-4" sides, put the plants in that, water the tray, not the plants. Capillary action will bring water into the soil.

That is what I was going to ask you. So, instead of watering from the top you are saying fill the trays and allow it to work its way up to the plant? How do I know if I did not put enough water in there though

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The bigger risk is putting too much in the tray and walking away before you get a feel for it. Depending on the configuration of the pot itself, you should be able to go with a starting point. For example, with seedlings in Solo cups that have holes in the bottom, I go with about a half an inch, depending on temps, humidity, location (I usually start my seeds outside), etc. For plants in, say... 1gal pots on up, I'd start with 1", see how long it takes for the soil to take that up, and if it's still hard and dry on the surface, I'd go ahead and add a little more.

Takes some practice, but you'll quickly get a feel for it.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

The bigger risk is putting too much in the tray and walking away before you get a feel for it. Depending on the configuration of the pot itself, you should be able to go with a starting point. For example, with seedlings in Solo cups that have holes in the bottom, I go with about a half an inch, depending on temps, humidity, location (I usually start my seeds outside), etc. For plants in, say... 1gal pots on up, I'd start with 1", see how long it takes for the soil to take that up, and if it's still hard and dry on the surface, I'd go ahead and add a little more.

Takes some practice, but you'll quickly get a feel for it.

Tested it out yesterday man. Shit was crazy to see the plant suck up the water like that.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It is, isn't it?

Now, the top of the soil will still get crusty, it always does. And if you let the soil/media mass dry out it will still pull away from the sides of the pot. But by bottom-watering (and feeding if you like) you can ensure the plant really gets it.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

It is, isn't it?

Now, the top of the soil will still get crusty, it always does. And if you let the soil/media mass dry out it will still pull away from the sides of the pot. But by bottom-watering (and feeding if you like) you can ensure the plant really gets it.

Ok so by bottom-feeding I never have to even sprinkle the top that way it doesn't mass dry out? Or should I bottom-feed then put a little water on top?

Top Bottom