Water System Upgrade

• Thread starter RoeBuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I'm curious to know how others are managing their water. I'm looking to upgrade my system and have been looking at what's available in the way of RO systems. Any recommendations? I'm running two 8XLs, so 120 gallons in the system and 110 gallons storage. Enough to do a system change and a 30 gal. top off at the same time.

I currently have a cheap eBay RO filter that needs a new membrane. Rather put any $ into it I'd rather invest in something better. I've got two 55 gallon storage barrels hooked together. Maybe a recirculating UV setup in there. I've not had any water related issues, just need to upgrade what I have.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I like my Hydrologic RO.
Been using a Stealth100 for a few years with no problems. Maybe look at their bigger version. New membrane was $85. But I just use the regular filters now , due to drought.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I like my Hydrologic RO.
Been using a Stealth100 for a few years with no problems. Maybe look at their bigger version. New membrane was $85. But I just use the regular filters now , due to drought.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that. Hydrologic seems to be well made and popular. Any benefit to running any pre filters or deionizing?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that. Hydrologic seems to be well made and popular. Any benefit to running any pre filters or deionizing?
I don't know. But I've heard a pre filter saves membrane life.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

That's what I understand as well. Something I need to look into deeper. I'm sure it's been covered here before, just have to find it.

Hydrologic Stealth RO200 on eBay for under $220. Have questions out to several asking if theirs has the upgraded carbon filter. If so, I'll probably grab one.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Glad this thread was started. I'm also looking to address my water issues. My water tests at 15-17 grains of hardness (~220ppm) and the pre filter we have in place starts turning reddish brown within a few days of replacement. Looking at water softeners followed by an RO to remove the salt used by the softener.

outwest

slimjimham

slimjimham

Yeah, I'm also looking to get a to get an ro filter but think im only looking to have 65g res filed. Don't know much when it comes to them, what do you recommend and my water ppm is 30 (500 scale) so how long would it be till I needed to replace the filters?

Things are going well without an ro filter but my water has a slight sour smell to it when it sits in the systems/ topoff tanks, so I feel like things would improve of I added ro

DapperDon

DapperDon

Glad this thread was started. I'm also looking to address my water issues. My water tests at 15-17 grains of hardness (~220ppm) and the pre filter we have in place starts turning reddish brown within a few days of replacement. Looking at water softeners followed by an RO to remove the salt used by the softener.

outwest

Yeah, you are going to want to stay away from the water softeners on your garden. If you are sitting at 220 ppm then a standalone RO will put you right where you want to be.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Yeah, I'm also looking to get a to get an ro filter but think im only looking to have 65g res filed. Don't know much when it comes to them, what do you recommend and my water ppm is 30 (500 scale) so how long would it be till I needed to replace the filters?

Things are going well without an ro filter but my water has a slight sour smell to it when it sits in the systems/ topoff tanks, so I feel like things would improve of I added ro

Are you agitating the water sitting in your topoff tanks? If not then you should throw a small pump and airstone in there to keep it from becoming stagnate. What you are smelling is bacteria and other nasties letting off gas as waste. As for the RO filter replacements are concerned, you get the most life out of them then you need to make sure you are flushing your membranes EVERY WEEK. No exceptions. Then you can get about 3-4 months out of them before you should replace them. I swap mine out every quarter so that my water is always clean. I am just of the mindset that by the time you notice your water has a problem, then it is too late.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yeah, you are going to want to stay away from the water softeners on your garden. If you are sitting at 220 ppm then a standalone RO will put you right where you want to be.

Thanks for the reply. In all the research I did it seems that water as hard as mine is (cal/mag content specifically) it can be really hard on the RO membrane. Also, I want the softened water to shower in, but don't want/need an RO of that capacity. I totally understand the softened water is bad for the garden and I don't really want to drink it either, so an RO for both should suffice.

outwest

DapperDon

DapperDon

I would do the RP for the garden and a Softener for the household.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Just to confirm I don't have airstone in my topoff tanks. Could I use these ones for (2) 13 g tanks (26 gallons of water) and do you think this will make the water much healthier for the plants (would like to skip the room since my ppm is 30 and I've been growing with it for around a year in hydro wroth no issues than what seems like bacteria)

Also I notice that smell lightly still with 3ml per gallon of uc roots (1ml more than the average recommended)

Pumps I have from old dwc (6w)- http://www.growwurks.com/ecoplus-ai...6-watts.aspx?gclid=CI3u05LXocgCFUIXHwodICQDjw

If so 2 of these would cover 4 tanks.... 49 gal at max, sounds underpowered but if the goal is just to move things a bit it should work

Sorry if this question ended up a bit off topic

DapperDon

DapperDon

You can use an airstone or just a small waterpump, anything to keep the water moving is going to help. What you want to do is keep the water in motion.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

You can use an airstone or just a small waterpump, anything to keep the water moving is going to help. What you want to do is keep the water in motion.

Good advice. After reading your comments in another thread I'm going to set up to bubble and circulate my storage tanks, along with adding UV. My first system still has air stones so I'm thinking that after this grow I'll switch it over to manifolds and use those air stones in the storage tanks and top offs.

B

bella715

I'm curious to know how others are managing their water. I'm looking to upgrade my system and have been looking at what's available in the way of RO systems. Any recommendations? I'm running two 8XLs, so 120 gallons in the system and 110 gallons storage. Enough to do a system change and a 30 gal. top off at the same time.

I currently have a cheap eBay RO filter that needs a new membrane. Rather put any $ into it I'd rather invest in something better. I've got two 55 gallon storage barrels hooked together. Maybe a recirculating UV setup in there. I've not had any water related issues, just need to upgrade what I have.
Turn the ex-fan back on a must--bella

B

bella715

Good advice. After reading your comments in another thread I'm going to set up to bubble and circulate my storage tanks, along with adding UV. My first system still has air stones so I'm thinking that after this grow I'll switch it over to manifolds and use those air stones in the storage tanks and top offs.
get those manifolds !!!!

slimjimham

slimjimham

I just bought a hydrologic ro with kdf upgrade and 1gph hydrologic uv filter (overkill)

If I keep getting root issues on veg tank changes I'll be at a loss after this. Cleaned/uv filtered water shouldn't give me any issues I'm thinking

Up till hopefully this I get root slime a day-2 days after veg tank changes EVERY TIME, so I let them run way longer than I should before changing out the system to avoid this....

... cross your fingers for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom