Water Wand/Submersible pump?

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

^^^^ everything everyone else said, just don't get to strong of a pump for that small of space. Take it easy, and i use to hand water for years, his method will save your back and make you hobby a hobby insteada work or rather a pain in the ass.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I realize this threads a lil old, but.. I got a 500gph active aqua pushing through 12' of 3/4" black hydro farm tubing out of a wand from harbor freight. Its taking 3min to water a 12"x12" hydrofarm square pot. I feel like that's entirely too long. I'm assuming my wand is greatly restricting flow??

Thanks
primo

Cort

Cort

Hook it up to a garden hose or some other known quantity. If it is restricting, there is usually a little doodad that can be forcibly removed for better flow. Works on California compliant shower heads too.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Hook it up to a garden hose or some other known quantity. If it is restricting, there is usually a little doodad that can be forcibly removed for better flow. Works on California compliant shower heads too.
Without the wand it puts out a lot of water w good pressure, not so much w the wand attached.

Cort

Cort

There you have it, Wand has a restriction somewhere. Remove it, deal with it or scrap it.

I was digging the DIY someone above did with pvc and a bubbler head. I made one similar but didnt think of the bubbler head, Used a gate valve on it so I can shut off between pots.

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

How are you guys connecting the end of the tubing to the fitting of the watering wand? And if using a coil water hose, how do you connect the end of the hose to the water pump nozzle? Trying to figure out if I need to buy a hose or hydro tubing, and what size is best.

Cort

Cort

Everything you need can be found at home depot/lowes right next to tubing by the foot.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How are you guys connecting the end of the tubing to the fitting of the watering wand? And if using a coil water hose, how do you connect the end of the hose to the water pump nozzle? Trying to figure out if I need to buy a hose or hydro tubing, and what size is best.
I'm using the standard quick-release hose fittings. Most everything is sized for standard garden hose sizes.

Natural

Natural

I can add a tip...if ya get any dirt or similar in your rez/can the pumps pick it up and it ends up clogging your $20 spray wand. You can wrap your pump with a paint strainer bag and a zip tie..or another option is to sawzall the end of your wand off and rubber band a piece of screen on the end for aeration.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Anyone ever used air tanks, like the ones for running water up to a house, for watering? Not sure how it all would work, but it is another way to move liquids and someone out there has to have tried it or had a buddy that did?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you mean something like the pressure tanks that are used for well supplied water? The things that have that bladder in them?

A

ALHpancyan

I am still curious how everyone is connecting their garden hose with wand attached to the submersible pump. It seems the pumps are just meant for tubing to go around the barbs. would you cut one end of the threads off of your hose and clamp it to pump? I am ordering dramm colormark wand and harbor freight 264gph pump for a 20 gallon reservoir

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For my diaphragm pumps, you've got it, but I do try to use metal hose clamps. I have found that it's a really good idea to use the braided vinyl tubing, especially if you're using the rig outside at all.

For my magnetic impeller sump pump it's already threaded for a garden hose to attach.

A

ALHpancyan

best pump for the job that you want to accomplish is this onehttp://www.pexsupply.com/Little-Gia...-6HP-25-cord?gclid=CM22_N2227oCFeh0QgodslQAtw have used one like it for years always works without fail just my 2 cents:D

This pump is quite a bit more expensive than the others I was looking at, but with this one I can just connect the hose and not ghetto rig anything.

Thanks a lot for the post! I think I am going to get that pump. Do you have any problems with clogging using organic nutrients? or do you use some kind of paint strainer bag to prevent clogging?

thanks again!

ALH

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

No never had a problem of any type with the little giant dam near bullet proof,no need for strainer bags ect it will work like a charm every time just my 2 cents :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Little Giant is one of the 'go to' brands in the world of fishkeeping. Public aquariums prefer Iwaki, but it's got a concurrent pricing structure for an indestructible pump.

Top Bottom