Water Wand/Submersible pump?

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

ALHpancyan

Awesome guys, thanks a lot! Already ordered the pump and a dramm water wand with brass shut off valve! Fucking excited to not have to tediously reach around my plants with a watering can.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's going to change your life, and I'm not joking. Especially if you have any pain problems or physical issues.

Because of my back, I'd be left hobbling after tending to the garden before. Now, life with pumps (I'm not talking the Naturalizers I just bought)? Oh my God, it's night and day! I even use the pumps to move water & feed from one container to another, up and down the hill, etc. Life-changing, because I love walking in a fully upright position.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

I use a 1 h/p grundfos. Its like a pool pump. I can attach a hose too it and water wand. I do that to flush the plants every so often

mr roboto

mr roboto

what is the smallest pump I can get away with using a watering wand?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

what is the smallest pump I can get away with using a watering wand?

depends on how long you want to stand around wondering why you're not doing it by hand...haha generally 1/3 to 1/2 hp sump is preferred but in a smaller and cheaper setup an ecoplus 396 with 1/2 inch vinyl tubing and a valve works just as well...

mr roboto

mr roboto

the yellow mondi 1/2 hp pump is so perfect i have 2 love them
1/2 hp pump is a little overkill I believe...The tent I want to use it for is only a 3x3 tent so I would need pretty much the weakest I can get away with without too much pressure

mr roboto

mr roboto

You can really throttle the pressure down just by using a valve, mr roboto. I have the 1/3hp sump pump, does me just fine.
Ohh...I wasnt even thinking about a valve I gotta get one
I use a 375 gph pump with a 75' long retractable hose in 1/2" and a water wand :D Works great
Damn a 375 gallon pump can work with 75' hose.....i might need to go with a ball valve and maybe a 375 ot 300 gph....im actually planning on using a 5 gal bucket to mix and then water and my bucket is basically in front of my tent so I am onlyusing a really short under 10 ' half inch tubing....thanks for the ideas

urbanfog

urbanfog

Damn a 375 gallon pump can work with 75' hose.....i might need to go with a ball valve and maybe a 375 ot 300 gph....im actually planning on using a 5 gal bucket to mix and then water and my bucket is basically in front of my tent so I am onlyusing a really short under 10 ' half inch tubing....thanks for the ideas

yeah, I picked up one of those "collapsible" hoses for cheap (works great BTW, wish I went 3/4" now I may get another one ) works fine for a nice "shower" setting on the water wand, just takes a min or two to get from res to water wand ;) Sure makes it easier on the back :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The pocket hose, urban? I have one of those! Pretty cool, but I've had problems getting other fittings to not leak, so I have to use the hose by itself. Gotta get that figured out.

urbanfog

urbanfog

The pocket hose, urban? I have one of those! Pretty cool, but I've had problems getting other fittings to not leak, so I have to use the hose by itself. Gotta get that figured out.

yep, except mine was a generic version. I didnt like the fittings that came with it either so I picked up a 3 pack of wand/pressure sprayer/soaker combo pack from Wally World that came with a set of 4 quick connects and the hose adapter for $14. Now no matter what the job, I just connect the needed hose end. For ease I added a 2 way splitter to my hose outside, so if needed I can move it out there, and still have another regular green garden hose for watering the yard hooked up at all times. Overall now the new one works great ( I like the "mist" setting for giving the ladies a shower) :D This was the one I picked up <<ebay link, just shortened it

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

The CAP ebb and flow pumps are cheap (~300 gph / $20) and run a 25' length of gardenhose fine if without obstructions, and using a watering wand without internal valve (cheap black and decker with valve works better than trigger style wand, no constriction) fill 3 gal pots fast enough.

But if you're only filling 5gal at a time, I'd opt for a simple spout on the bottom of the bucket (3/4" min) and just fill a watering can. I think most people on here are mixing a little more water.

Some of the variation in pump size will be due to some people here filling 1-3gal containers and others doing significantly larger, from what I can see. And others are contenting with flow restrictions and head that the pump must overcome.

Warning with garden hoses, though. They tend to leak where they press the fitting to the rubber, where the two metal pieces meet (so it can screw on/off) and thus leaves you unable to fix that annoying little drip. Getting a worm clamp for the poly will keep it from falling off. Can usually find a barb for the wand in the garden hose section (garden hose repair parts).

Just if you're mixing by Homer bucket, a spout may save you time and effort. Things can go wrong on the watering pump side, gravity always works.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@:53, my thoughts EXACTLY! :D Good video. We have that exact same pump for our aquaponic system.

L

Low.Vato

Yeah dude, I do it twice a day. Yer gonna need a much heftier pump though, 1/5hp minimum and that's not much pressure (gets the job done). One of mine is Ace hardware brand, better one is flotec from the depot. Most nozzles and wands kind of suck with these weak pumps, so maybe save the hassle and size up? Instead of buying and returning every nozzle design ever made, like someone I know..

Oh, and grab a few of those quick release fittings, then you can switch between nutes and water easily. Small labor savings add up to make gardening less stress (says the guy who's still hand watering). Seriously, why not go DTW? I am, just been to busy to hook everything up yet.

How do you connect the hose from the pump to the garden wand? Does it require a connector or fitting of some kind? Also, do you mix your nutrients in a separate reservoir from your main RO water reservoir to keep a supply of plain water on hand?

Latest posts

Top Bottom