Watering promix questions?

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

I am just wondering if my watering technique could use some improvement. I use promix soiless, in 3 gallons buckets (11 litres)...I water each plant with 2 litres of water, and I get no runoff. I only have to water every 5 or 6 days. Should I cut down the amount of water so my plants need to be watered more often? More like every 3 or 4 days? I'm not complainin about not having to water all the time...but I probably could do a better job adjusting nute levels if I water more often. And less nute burns with less water/total nutes.

T

truepunk87

pro mix is meant to be used as a drain to waste hydroponic medium, wich means u need to water untill u get alot of water running out the bottom. its also meant to hold water for a long period of time. I water maybe twice a week. one of nutes,next time just water. its all ready PH balenced so u should always check the PH of the nutrient mix u are adding to it.

JH420

JH420

With 2 litres of water I get no run-off in an 11 litre bucket. If I watered til runoff I'd probably only water once every 7+ days.

Since Promix is PH adjusted, isn't that supposed to mean you don't have to adjust your PH? Irregardless what they claim I always adjust my PH.

420king-MASSES

water/feed until you get 10-20% runoff when you dont have run off you hyper salinate your medium because it is not releasing any of the previous salts from previous feeding/waterings also i add 20%perlite to the mix it allows me to feed/water more and i always adjust my ph even though i use dolomite lime in my medium

S

seventhchild

to wet

Pro Mix "as is " hold to much moisture for MJ and needs additives to help it drain better. I like Perlite but you can use just about anything that increases air space and improves drainage.how much to add depends upon ALOT of different things....venalation ,light,age/size/health of plant,etc..so its hard to give you a formula [%promix/%perlite] to achieve a every 2 or 3 day watering but i have found that a 50/50 mix works well for me[i top water also].for the first couple of weeks after transplanting i only have to water every 3 days .when the plants start flowering and the roots get larger i have to water more often and as harvest time approaches i am watering daily .because your plants are already in 3 gal containers with pure Promix i would suggest light feedings with PH adjusted solution followed by a heavy flush every 3rd or 4th time.

JH420

JH420

Lotsa good info here, thanks folks...next round will have to add perlite.

G

GuFF

What kind of promix are you using? If you dont use a bunch of additives and dont have to strong of a nutrient solution you shouldnt have to get runoff on every watering to clean out any salts from previous irrigation. also having your pots sitting with water in them for more than 24 hrs sufficates the roots and slows growth. It can also cause root rot which will lower your ph in your root zone. Get run off only when you want to check your root zone ph and tds/ec. And after you get runoff from checking/flushing your root zone lower your humidity a little (no lower than 40%) to dry your pots out faster.

Cheers,
GuFF

Reactions: BMG
P

paulycali

Water heavily after planting! Should say it right on the bag

B

BMG

What kind of promix are you using? If you dont use a bunch of additives and dont have to strong of a nutrient solution you shouldnt have to get runoff on every watering to clean out any salts from previous irrigation. also having your pots sitting with water in them for more than 24 hrs sufficates the roots and slows growth. It can also cause root rot which will lower your ph in your root zone. Get run off only when you want to check your root zone ph and tds/ec. And after you get runoff from checking/flushing your root zone lower your humidity a little (no lower than 40%) to dry your pots out faster.

Cheers,
GuFF
I agree with you! GREAT advice!

Deepstuff

Deepstuff

SO, if I watering each time to 10 -20% run off, the run off does the flushing and I don't have to do anything special watering wise until I'm getting ready to harvest? I have promix HP in fabric pots using GH neutrients.

Thanks!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Still have to monitor everything. The plant doesnt always use all of the nutrients so they can still build up. When you see a high ec in the runoff. Time to flush out things with fresh water to get it back in line.

CF89

CF89

So what’s the proper way to drain and collect the run off? Does the container It’s going into need to be perfectly clean? Sometimes water just leaks out of the side of the fabric pots and Into the collection dish anyways.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So what’s the proper way to drain and collect the run off? Does the container It’s going into need to be perfectly clean? Sometimes water just leaks out of the side of the fabric pots and Into the collection dish anyways.

Asking me? I would get an alert if you either use the reply button or @Username

I dont use cloth pots. I jist suck out some runoff out of the tray with a turkey baster and squirt it in a measuring cup and check it with my truncheon and ph drops.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Lotsa good info here, thanks folks...next round will have to add perlite.
You dont need to add perlite to promix HP. Some other types you do. And remember when the plants are small, sure they dont drink much. The first couple weeks you might start off watering once a week, then once every 5 days, then once every 3 or every 2 days as the plants root out the media.

Always water till the whole pot is soaked and you get some runoff out the bottom. And water slowly so you dont create channels in the media.

tsukiman13

tsukiman13

I keep hearing people giving advices on 10-20% run offs but my stupid mind keep thinking how the hell am i supposed to know when is 10-20%? Since we’re using promix hp. Can’t we just water the pot a few times a day but just little bit of water. By the end of the day it should stayed moist and saturated with new ph balanced water?

Just a thought though since i am also having trouble with promix hp right now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I keep hearing people giving advices on 10-20% run offs but my stupid mind keep thinking how the hell am i supposed to know when is 10-20%? Since we’re using promix hp. Can’t we just water the pot a few times a day but just little bit of water. By the end of the day it should stayed moist and saturated with new ph balanced water?

Just a thought though since i am also having trouble with promix hp right now.

No it won't have enough oxygen in the rootzone if you keep it saturated. And to calculate runoff you just collect it and measure it. So for example if you feed 4 liters, you should collect 400-800ml of runoff out the bottom to hit 10 - 20%

And you need to water slowly and let it reach saturation before getting runoff, if you pour it too fast it can just run through the pot and create drainage channels, which you do not want.

tsukiman13

tsukiman13

No it won't have enough oxygen in the rootzone if you keep it saturated. And to calculate runoff you just collect it and measure it. So for example if you feed 4 liters, you should collect 400-800ml of runoff out the bottom to hit 10 - 20%

And you need to water slowly and let it reach saturation before getting runoff, if you pour it too fast it can just run through the pot and create drainage channels, which you do not want.

Yikes... Another thought, wouldn’t this be a real hassle if you are to grown fifty or hundreds of plants?

dred

dred

I guess I’m doing it wrong
I just Finished promix hp grow and never watered to runoff once.
never had any issues
i did ph each time to 6 ish watered until pot was
good and soaked
waited until the top looked dry
before re watering.
last week just watered with ph’ed water
seemed to work

CF89

CF89

Here’s the thing. I’ve wondered this too.
I have lots of those “seemed to work” moments too

But I wonder... I got nice buds too from my last grow. But maybe I would of gotten more/better/denser/nicer/bigger buds if I had done this or that... hmmm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom