Watering seedlings how much is too much, how much is too little?

• Thread starter Waffleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Waffleman

Waffleman

Looks fine bud
Seedlings require very little light.
Don’t water for a while the soil is quite wet
Oh yea I had just watered it and took a picture! I let it dry out until the top 2 inches are dry before watering it again. My previous grow which was my first indoor and autoflower I defo watered too much so I'm much more careful right now :) But thanks for the feedback!

Reason I was asking too is because in my previous grow i kept the light so close, the leaves of the seedling weren't this green. Like they were yellowing out a bit (which is not good ofcourse), but i guess you could go too green colored where they might have nitrogen issues (i believe that could cause very dark green leaves). So its nice that you guys can give it the OK or not :P

Waffleman

Waffleman

How moist was the soil when you planted? That'll matter. Young plants need somewhat moist soil, but be careful not to water close to the stem.
The soil was not moist at all when I planted them. That's how I've always been doing it, I will germinate the seed, then put it into the soil but not too deep. Spray some water on top of the soil and let it do its thing. But I always use a spray bottle and especially in the beginning use very little water as I don't want to drown my seed.

quirk

quirk

I wait until the day after sprout then transplant my jiffy into a pre-moistened 5gal airpot. Each of these plants are in the same light, fluffy, well draining mix and each will take right at 1/2 gal to slight run off. The only difference is the time it takes for each pot to go from moist to dry.

20240224 091840
Waffleman

Waffleman

Little update on the seedlings. They had their first true leaves so I guess its in the vegetative state now. They are basically 18 days old now.

Its interesting, they are 2 different seeds and you can see one is much bushier than the other. Even though they are both sativa plants, the one in the back seems to have wider leaves.

If anything jumps out as problematic looking, do let me know :)

Signal 2024 04 03 023041 002
Waffleman

Waffleman

I wait until the day after sprout then transplant my jiffy into a pre-moistened 5gal airpot. Each of these plants are in the same light, fluffy, well draining mix and each will take right at 1/2 gal to slight run off. The only difference is the time it takes for each pot to go from moist to dry.
Quick question, why do you wrap your airpots like that? Isn't the point of them to have the airflow? Or do you have some special reason?

Waffleman

Waffleman

I put the pantyhose on to deter unwanted pest entrance and to maintain a cleaner grow area. The pots still "breathe" with no problem.
Your grow area is spotless. I'm a messy camper.
Ah smart though! I got those tiny gnats always no matter how clean i keep it (think they might be attracted to my humidifier) .. so maybe thats something i can try. I just try to make sure everythings pretty clean and hang a bunch of yellow stickies everywhere xD

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Man this auto flowers “don’t like to be up potted” is a myth. Don’t pay attention to that bs. Plants like to be up potted. Auto or not.
I use a sprayer to water babies.
It’s good practice, keeps you from flooding out the root zone of sensitive seedlings.
Good luck 👊🏻🤡

mjvdet13

mjvdet13

Really simple rule. every time you water you want to see a full cycle of wet to dry.. water when the pot is dry. If you water on soaked pots then you can cause other issues

BB22

BB22

Really simple rule. every time you water you want to see a full cycle of wet to dry.. water when the pot is dry. If you water on soaked pots then you can cause other issues
I use a combination of “hefting” the pot for wet or dry weight.

A lot of learning to do. I’m working on trying to read the plant.

It’s a rewarding hobby. ✌️

Waffleman

Waffleman

Man this auto flowers “don’t like to be up potted” is a myth. Don’t pay attention to that bs. Plants like to be up potted. Auto or not.
I use a sprayer to water babies.
It’s good practice, keeps you from flooding out the root zone of sensitive seedlings.
Good luck 👊🏻🤡
Same thing! I upgrade from a hand sprayer to one of those with a hose (but still has a spray head once it needs a decent amount of water) and then upgrade to just pouring water in with a water bottle that has holes in the plastic bottle cap. Works pretty well! Thanks for the input

Waffleman

Waffleman

im an idiot so i just purchased some kitchen scales and started weighing my pots
Its not a bad idea I would do the lifting of the pot and would notice a difference but only once the plants are already quite large and need more water. During seedling phase/beginning veg i don't water them too much

Waffleman

Waffleman

I use a combination of “hefting” the pot for wet or dry weight.

A lot of learning to do. I’m working on trying to read the plant.

It’s a rewarding hobby. ✌️
Agree! Each grow I feel like I'm learning something new. Which makes sense, you make the obvious mistakes first and after those you can really start mid/maxing this

Rama777

Rama777

Obviously not for seedlings, but I use this for 2 gallons and up. I can’t reach to lift my 7 gallon pots up that are in the back of my square tent. Works perfectly for me in soil pots. Not sure how they would perform with coco.

Other nice thing about them is you can see where you are at with your pots. I give my 7 gallon pots 2 liters of water maximum, if they are dry. And if they are actually dry to the bottom (which the meter will tell me), then I will top water and bottom water. If I see that the pot is dry 75-90% of the way down and then abruptly reads moist at the bottom, I know to only top water 1.25-1.5 liters. Quite handy for my style of watering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom