Watering seedlings how much is too much, how much is too little?

• Thread starter Waffleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420autoflier

420autoflier

What is the purpose of adding coco to soil. Imo, bad idea. Also, why do you want to water soil to runoff, another bad idea. At 10% coco!. Watering to runoff is for 100% coco or rock wool. Called drain to waste. You'll be flushing nutrients out of your soil. Coco is inert, no nutrients what so ever. And with drain to waste you have to fertigate every watering. Are you planning to run your soil drain to waste??

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Ah smart though! I got those tiny gnats always no matter how clean i keep it (think they might be attracted to my humidifier) .. so maybe thats something i can try. I just try to make sure everythings pretty clean and hang a bunch of yellow stickies everywhere xD
Alought they are attracted to damp conditions it’s more lightly they are attracted to the rooten matter in the soil especially if your using organic food.

If you get them again try nematodes they will much them up in no time

I find myself disagreeing with autos being transplanted they don’t do well with down time

Also I’ve had some kick of flowering while only three weeks old catching me by surprise and you don’t want to transplant a flowering plant

Why bother stressing the plant. moving homes is one of the most stressfull things a plant will go through it normally takes 2-3 days to recover that’s two days growth you won’t get back

Photo periods it doesn’t matter if you get down time however with autos it does

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
What is the purpose of adding coco to soil. Imo, bad idea. Also, why do you want to water soil to runoff, another bad idea. At 10% coco!. Watering to runoff is for 100% coco or rock wool. Called drain to waste. You'll be flushing nutrients out of your soil. Coco is inert, no nutrients what so ever. And with drain to waste you have to fertigate every watering. Are you planning to run your soil drain to waste??
I've tried adding coco to soil for the purpose of using organic material to enhance porosity and drainage. I used a small percentage of coco. It seemed to work okay. I also use perlite and rice hulls for the same purpose. My conclusion was something like "meh". Biochar may be better, but I haven't tried that yet. I might try it with a plant next time I start a new grow.

Watering soil till there's runoff isn't a bad idea. It's a way to make sure the water penetrates the soil completely. However, I doubt a lot of runoff water is necessary. I just look for it to start dripping. A downside is that the water in saucers under the plant can be a breeding space for fungus gnats.

420autoflier

420autoflier

I've run soil, coco and rock wool. Was told early on never to mix soil and coco. Not just ph issues, coco has the ability to grab and hold on to calcium making it unavailable to the plant. Since the 1st try with grodans hugo blocks I'll never go back. Guess when I think of runoff I'm thinking like 10% or so.

Waffleman

Waffleman

I've run soil, coco and rock wool. Was told early on never to mix soil and coco. Not just ph issues, coco has the ability to grab and hold on to calcium making it unavailable to the plant. Since the 1st try with grodans hugo blocks I'll never go back. Guess when I think of runoff I'm thinking like 10% or so.
Ah nice good to know. I've done a grow with soil and coco but the coco would be like 10% of the mix. But I might try on my next one to use soil only!

PooToe

PooToe

Interesting. A lot of cannabis soils have a good portion of coco so I guess they're doing it wrong?

Waffleman

Waffleman

Alought they are attracted to damp conditions it’s more lightly they are attracted to the rooten matter in the soil especially if your using organic food.

If you get them again try nematodes they will much them up in no time

I find myself disagreeing with autos being transplanted they don’t do well with down time

Also I’ve had some kick of flowering while only three weeks old catching me by surprise and you don’t want to transplant a flowering plant

Why bother stressing the plant. moving homes is one of the most stressfull things a plant will go through it normally takes 2-3 days to recover that’s two days growth you won’t get back

Photo periods it doesn’t matter if you get down time however with autos it does
Hey Gmix, thanks I ordered some nematodes. I will apply them later this week. However just wondering if you had any experience with them. According to instructions the soil should be pre-wet (which is fine I can do it on a feeding day). But then they say to keep the soil wet for 2 weeks. Have you done this? I just don't want it to become an overwatering situation.

Thanks in advance!

also added some update pictures!

Signal 2024 04 16 190104 002
Signal 2024 04 16 190104 003
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Hey Gmix, thanks I ordered some nematodes. I will apply them later this week. However just wondering if you had any experience with them. According to instructions the soil should be pre-wet (which is fine I can do it on a feeding day). But then they say to keep the soil wet for 2 weeks. Have you done this? I just don't want it to become an overwatering situation.

Thanks in advance!

also added some update pictures!
Yeah just keep it moist if the soil dries to much they die however if it’s moist it’s not a big issue the roots will be ok with it as they will be getting a break from being eaten

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
What I do/did was water normally however the day before the soil will be dry i watered it doesn’t need to be wet just moist as long as it’s not bone dry

Waffleman

Waffleman

What I do/did was water normally however the day before the soil will be dry i watered it doesn’t need to be wet just moist as long as it’s not bone dry
Ayoo, thanks again, its only been 2 days but i feel like its already a lot less of the gnats. Working as intended so far! Even within the first day I felt I noticed the plants looking way better after they got the nomatodes.

I'll add them now for comparison. Tbh i didn't think the gnats would be such a big problem because they're so small but they definitely seemed to affect the plant well enough.

I do feel like my tall plant is showing some signs of too much light intensity. On the top leaves you can see some curling of the serrated edge. Though the plant seems to give mixed signs. The top leaves will take that sort of praying stance (pointing up towards the light). Which makes me think they want more light. But then the curling of the serrated edge tells a different story.

Any advice on this would be appreciated! Always excited to learn more about the process

Signal 2024 04 22 002055 002
Signal 2024 04 22 002055 004
Signal 2024 04 22 002055 003
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
plants do pray it can be a sign of health or stress. They pray exceptionally hard when it’s stress. Looking at the pics they don’t look stressed they look healthy and I can’t see anything wrong.

Yeah I getcha because the damage goes unseen it’s hard to get your head around the damage they do until you figure well if I needed roots to live and something was eating then I wouldn’t do to well either

I was going to say Nematodes act fast I have found in the past they are gone within 10 days

About the curling how far away is the light, is it dimmed & what watt is it.
Also how hots it get

S

snowmaners

When the soil is dry add water....lol wait for it to get dry again add water.....you know when to water when the soil is dry! All seriousness no need to get technical I use rain water and a pray bottle when I can blow the soil and it moves I normally give it 6-7 shots with a cheap zep sprayer I move mine out on sunny days and it seems to dry them a little quicker then under the hips. But I tend to water every other night and if there outside I give them a spray or two between waterings. But the key is to wait till they are dry. In my experience over watering leads to weaker roots and yellowing leaves if your lower levels are yellowing just back off a bit. I add about a 1/4 inch of water to the Dixie cup when they get super dry you should be able to tell bu the weight of the cups of you handle them enough. So good luck and just be patient...more water don't mean bigger plants....in the beginning anyway...lol

Waffleman

Waffleman

When the soil is dry add water....lol wait for it to get dry again add water.....you know when to water when the soil is dry! All seriousness no need to get technical I use rain water and a pray bottle when I can blow the soil and it moves I normally give it 6-7 shots with a cheap zep sprayer I move mine out on sunny days and it seems to dry them a little quicker then under the hips. But I tend to water every other night and if there outside I give them a spray or two between waterings. But the key is to wait till they are dry. In my experience over watering leads to weaker roots and yellowing leaves if your lower levels are yellowing just back off a bit. I add about a 1/4 inch of water to the Dixie cup when they get super dry you should be able to tell bu the weight of the cups of you handle them enough. So good luck and just be patient...more water don't mean bigger plants....in the beginning anyway...lol
Thank you! Good info 🙌

Waffleman

Waffleman

plants do pray it can be a sign of health or stress. They pray exceptionally hard when it’s stress. Looking at the pics they don’t look stressed they look healthy and I can’t see anything wrong.

Yeah I getcha because the damage goes unseen it’s hard to get your head around the damage they do until you figure well if I needed roots to live and something was eating then I wouldn’t do to well either

I was going to say Nematodes act fast I have found in the past they are gone within 10 days

About the curling how far away is the light, is it dimmed & what watt is it.
Also how hots it get
I'll get back to you with those measurements but it also seems like that plant is doing better (the curling has gone down).

However wanted to doublecheck with you guys that these aren't pollen sacks >_>

I don't think they are but I'm also not 100%

Thanks in advance!

Pollenscks
S

snowmaners

I had a plant that had huge calyx on it and inside it had undeveloped seeds thought it was really cool I just figure she is a fertile mertel just keep her away from males the one I had was super horny I guess she had huge buds I'll look for some pics....found them look at the buds on this girl...

IMG 20231001 161947618
IMG 20231001 134614760 HDR
IMG 20231006 143922840 HDR
IMG 20230913 121002939 HDR
IMG 20230828 185441365
Top Bottom