Watts/lumens per square foot ?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

I think I will shoot for 90something watts/ft2. And try to AC the heck out of it. I will strive for canopy temps of 78-82ish for a while, and play with co2 and ec levels to make it work. My hearty chemo x og is a feeder, so I am assuming that she will handle the bumped-up inputs nicely.
Will be playing with levels of micros to see if there is a relationship to be discovered there. Maybe feed at 3 ppms iron, and then 4.5, to see what changes.
Will soon be rocking the 1/2 hps 1/2 mh combo, fuck yeah.
Curious to see what light values will be striking the lower parts of the canopy. I think I should limit the "bearing surface" of colas to 2 ft horizontal depth if I can help it. Maybe someone knows better. That greenthumbdanny has been a strong advocate of 3 1ks per 4x8 table for quite a while now. I wonder what sort of depth he still gets premium material from.
Cultivar will be important I think in this particular game. Fan leaves will have to be limited I think to allow good light values lower. If I had something OG dom there would be less fans maybe.
I will not be doing any SOG ever haha. But not quite trees either this time, more bushes.
Less veg time to fill that canopy given the veg resources I have. Total cycle time for big room could easily get to 12 weeks if optimized.
Oh shit! Just realized that if light values were good enough for the whole bearing surface of colas, the plant could be chopped and removed WHOLE from the room.
So trimming, logistically, could be much simpler. Before I harvested the top stuff, and let the bottoms ripen up. Sort of a pain in the ass to have to do it that way.
And the room would be ready for the next cycle faster. Fuck yeah.

I think the limiting factor is cooling and canopy temps. I think this will help avoid bleaching, and terpenes boiling off, and lead to more premium material out of the canopy.
Looks like I will be installing another AC soon.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hey DW. I really like to push the watts/ft2. I'm running something like what you plan to run. A 600mh and 600hps in a 4x4 tent. As long as I keep things cool the plants seems to love it. Radiant temps from the light are in the 78-80 range, with ambient temps in the 75-77 range. A pretty steady RH at 55% and great microbes both in the soil and as a foliar. . .lumen shock? What's that?

I'm running SuperSoil for the first time, and I've never had such vigorous plants. The Mob Boss is throwing off the most amazing leaves and the plants is only 16" tall.

My last run was the first time with that lighting setup. Beyond some FIMing I did very little plant maintenance and had very little larf come harvest time. Light spread and penetration are exceptional. Just gotta keep it cool. :cool:

outwest

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Great post Dankwoth! That's exactly the type of conversation I wanted to stir up when I bumped this thread a few days ago!

TK...where you at pimpin? :D

Bless up...Sol

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Hey DW. I really like to push the watts/ft2. I'm running something like what you plan to run. A 600mh and 600hps in a 4x4 tent. As long as I keep things cool the plants seems to love it. Radiant temps from the light are in the 78-80 range, with ambient temps in the 75-77 range. A pretty steady RH at 55% and great microbes both in the soil and as a foliar. . .lumen shock? What's that?

I'm running SuperSoil for the first time, and I've never had such vigorous plants. The Mob Boss is throwing off the most amazing leaves and the plants is only 16" tall.

My last run was the first time with that lighting setup. Beyond some FIMing I did very little plant maintenance and had very little larf come harvest time. Light spread and penetration are exceptional. Just gotta keep it cool. :cool:

outwest

Hey OWest! How are you laying out your lights? Are they butt to butt, or side by side? Vented hoods? If you have them butt to butt is it a tight squeeze...being that the hoods are roughly 18-20 inches flange to flange( if vented hood)!? How many ladies in that 4x4 foot area?

Bless...Sol

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hey OWest! How are you laying out your lights? Are they butt to butt, or side by side? Vented hoods? If you have them butt to butt is it a tight squeeze...being that the hoods are roughly 18-20 inches flange to flange( if vented hood)!? How many ladies in that 4x4 foot area?

Bless...Sol

What up Sol?! I'm using a growzilla hood so it's 2 lamps in one hood. Have to exhaust that puppy for sure!

outwest

GZILLA sf

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

What up Sol?! I'm using a growzilla hood so it's 2 lamps in one hood. Have to exhaust that puppy for sure!

outwest

View attachment 212692

Just here loving the life I live OW! Howzit with you bubba? Thats a pimpy set up bredren! I am assuming that is what TK is referring to in his first post for the no. 1 setup, yes?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Just here loving the life I live OW! Howzit with you bubba? Thats a pimpy set up bredren! I am assuming that is what TK is referring to in his first post for the no. 1 setup, yes?

G'day! I would assume so. The only other dual lamp hood I know of is a cool tube. I ain't pulling 3 lbs in my tent that's for sure!

outwest

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

G'day! I would assume so. The only other dual lamp hood I know of is a cool tube. I ain't pulling 3 lbs in my tent that's for sure!

outwest

With that setup 3 peezey's would be phenomenal...2 peezey's would even put a smirk upon my face! What is your medium at this point?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
With that setup 3 peezey's would be phenomenal...2 peezey's would even put a smirk upon my face! What is your medium at this point?

This is my first trip around the block with SuperSoil. Had been running Coco before that.

outwest

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

What do you mean bro?
I think what he means that he lost like an hour of his life typing a long article that he probably doesn't want to repeat, due to month or so of information that was lost during the server change switch.

H

hogan400

lt133 Made a good point on plant life cycle. Color spectrum is key, as is the Uv intensity of the light. You prob know all this shit though, there are some great studies out there and give a call to sunlight supply, they will hit you off with serious info.

I do 1000's every 3 ft overhead no matter flat garden size. Bulb lumens decrease 30+% after 4 months of use. We just cant see it. I swap bulbs every other crop now no matter what. I see a major decrease in gpw going any longer. The glass lense in reflectors reduce Uv light by major amounts and this is very important to plants. Cfl and led do well because of heat and you can simply get em closer. In that case intensity beats color and Uv. There are some super reads on color and Uv in other plant forums Tex.

10k over 8x14 for 112 watts per ft.
H4oo

dankworth

dankworth

Reflectors are a huge consideration. I ended up using super sun 2s, very focused and intense compared to magnums, or any of the wider ones.
I would like to try a room full of 6" blockbusters at some point, get them closer to the canopy.
I have about an 11x14 room. I have thought about 10k in about an 8-9ft x 14 ft arrangement. Could be fun.
One thing about super sun 2s, it is easier to keep them backed up against the ceiling and dim them than it is to try to evenly illuminate the canopy with fewer of them. A reflector with a wider spread would lend itself better to running less lamps at a time and still illuminating the canopy evenly.
I would like to play with UV. Maybe some reptile lights timed so I never see them on.

Hogan400, may I ask what reflectors and lamps you use?
And what is the total height of your canopy when all is said and done? Not sure what mine will be, I am guessing mine will be 2 feet when all is said and done.
How about EC/co2 levels?
Thanks dude.

Edit-Hey hogan400, are your reflectors all even in 2 lines of 5 or 5 lines of 2? Or are they staggered?

Resinable

Resinable

My best yield was in a 100 sq. ft room with 8400 watts. 6 1000 watters in super sun 2s vented and 4 vertically hung 600s bare bulb. I pulled just a few grams under 18 pounds with blue dream flowered for 7 weeks. Eight plants total with pythagorean scrogs. I wanted to up the wattage to 10 1000 watters and am convinced I could have gotten twenty lbs from that space but alas that location expired.

dankworth

dankworth

I was considering 4 vert 6s in the canopy as well, but I think I can get away with 9-10 1ks more readily with my room design.
Badass yield Resinable.
My goal is eventually to pull 20+
This time will be 8k. 4 hps.
Just ordered 4 digilux 1k MHs from plantlightinghydroponics for 55.00 a pop while listening to Journey.
Something about ordering shit with my girl's credit card that makes me want to sing along.
"Streetlights
People...
Can't afford the dual arcs
No shadows
With that many sources of li-eee-iiiight..."

Latest posts

Top Bottom