Weird New Growth / Curled edges

• Thread starter Cannanugget
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UCtestn

Guaranteed to be low humidity. I don't care what you say your RH is or what the temp is, you've just transplanted for no reason.

Sometimes it's because the fans are hitting them.

Sometimes it's just a low spot in the room.

Sometimes it's the strain... (I've run a room where only one strain was giving me the problem.)

Research VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit) and you'll find your answer along with pictures of plants that look exactly like yours.

Since you've already told the Kid it's not tmp/humidity related I figured I wouldn't post, but maybe a second opinion will make you rethink it when your repotting doesn't work. As they get slightly larger, they'll sweat more and maybe the VPD will fix itself. Your next run may not have the problem and you'll think it's because you used the different soil, but when you do it at the right time of year, with the outside temp/humidity showing the same signs as what you are going through now, the medium won't matter and the VPD will be great enough to cause the "taco effect" if humidity is too low for the conditions.

Cheers!

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Guaranteed to be low humidity. I don't care what you say your RH is or what the temp is, you've just transplanted for no reason.

Sometimes it's because the fans are hitting them.

Sometimes it's just a low spot in the room.

Sometimes it's the strain... (I've run a room where only one strain was giving me the problem.)

Research VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit) and you'll find your answer along with pictures of plants that look exactly like yours.

Since you've already told the Kid it's not tmp/humidity related I figured I wouldn't post, but maybe a second opinion will make you rethink it when your repotting doesn't work. As they get slightly larger, they'll sweat more and maybe the VPD will fix itself. Your next run may not have the problem and you'll think it's because you used the different soil, but when you do it at the right time of year, with the outside temp/humidity showing the same signs as what you are going through now, the medium won't matter and the VPD will be great enough to cause the "taco effect" if humidity is too low for the conditions.

Cheers!

UC, Thanks for tking the time to reply to this thread. I know I seem hard headed about this - I'm not trying to say you're wrong at all. In some other cases, most maybe, that would be what the cause is. It's VERY hard to believe that is what is causing my problem though. As I have said, this problem is only occurring on the XJ13 plants in black gold soil. I have some pics from tonight.
It will show you what I'm talking about hopefully. It makes no sense to me other than fucked up soil. I have them in the same room, fed the same water, only difference is soil. Keep in mind too, I have 23 of these in Roots and not 1 is doing this all are very healthy. I have 3 in Black Gold and ALL are doing the odd leaf growth thing.
Check out these pics and then tell me what you guys think.

DSC_0002.jpg

Black Gold XJ13 with weird leaves

DSC_0001.jpg

Black Gold XJ13

DSC_0003.jpg

Roots Organic XJ13

DSC_0006.jpg

Canopy in the same room and not a single problem.

U

UCtestn

Yup... too large of a VPD for this particular plant. Nothing to do with your soil, PH or nutes. Purely VPD based in my opinion. - Good luck!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
5.38 was the run off ph and the water that went in was 6.8.

Sometimes you get a bag of hot soil. Guano, manure and fish ferts tend to be acidic. Or some that get too much wood fiber. You could have just ph'd the watering solution to 7.8 or whatever was needed to get a soil ph of 6.5. After a few times it might have become less acidic.

However, transplanting is something that can be done in veg without ever having to think twice about it. Don't throw the soil out either. Just mix some lime in it and cut it with some plain jane pro mix and let it sit around a month. It will be good for the next run.

If you can keep temps in the 78-80 range with minimal air currents blowing and maintain a soil HUMIDITY of 100% you will be fine. Never let pots dry out.

O

OG4UanME

im in the same boat aswell, and just switched to 12/12 3 days ago! im leaning towards over ferts in my case. begain light flush (in coco) and im hoping the stretch starts soon so it can help eat up some of the excessive nutes. jmho. test ppms when u can and let us know, good luck my friend.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

funny how a few of you guys are saying the VPD... I already figured for sure 110% it was the soil. The plants I took out of the black gold and transplanted into roots are all growing nicely now - the couple I left in the black gold are looking the same... VPD??? I don't understand VPD enough to argue, but my results are hard to argue with as well. The problem was fixed with different soil. Thanks again everyone for all of your input. I'm glad I was able to sort this out before it turned into a waste of money...

OG4UANME -

I have been real good results with the H3AD Formula in coco using the GH micro and bloom with added calmag Here's a pic of some Tahoe OG thats about 40 days in.

photo44.jpg

U

UCtestn

^ It did not take 8 days to get to that last pic from the problem pics. Are you a politician?

Either way, I'm happy you got it figured out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, show the girls in question.

In the meantime, get that knowledge on, Cannanuggy, learn about VPD.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Not trying to start anything here. I just think canna is being challenged too much and needs a cornerman. Cannanuggy already said it was another plant at day 40. He already said the soil transplant solved the problem. He also already showed you another plant canopy in the same room that was fine. It evidently wasn't VDP. Canna isn't going to fake it and say it was better just so it wouldn't be VDP. Why would he care what caused it? He just wanted to fix it and threw a help flag up.

I think a healthy plant is able to adapt to different VDPs. Otherwise plants would never make it through a whole season outside or an inside winter grow. Especially in some northeast states where the winters have days where the RH is in the 20's and the summers when it is hovering in the 90s.

I know there is such a thing as VDP I just don't think it stops people from growing great buds.

And never underestimate the healing powers of a transplant. You can search for critters and examine the roots a bit. You also give it more oxygen just by opening up the soil around the roots which can make a big difference.

No you don't want to transplant for a cal/mag issue. You have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. In this case the signs could have been hot soil. A transplant was a good call. Because hot soil could kill a plant fast and off kilter VDP won't.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
He's never shown the actual plant in question. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter how he solved the problem, he solved it and is good to go (hopefully). That's the goal of even responding to posts like this, right?

But! That doesn't mean that he shouldn't also maybe go ahead and learn something very helpful if he just takes a wee little bit of time to learn about how vapor pressure deficit values affect his ladies.

Just sayin'.

U

UCtestn

I'm thankful he figured it out... I really am! If I ever have that problem and VPD looks good, I'll try a change of medium ;-)

M

Mmmmasonite

This taco curling happened to me once....after asking tons of growers I found that it was due to dry conditions.....It only happened to one and it was right next to the fan....Moved it and sure enough ...It went back to normal.....People told me the plant does this to retain moisture.....just my .02.......Peace

M

Mmmmasonite

Not trying to start anything here. I just think canna is being challenged too much and needs a cornerman. Cannanuggy already said it was another plant at day 40. He already said the soil transplant solved the problem. He also already showed you another plant canopy in the same room that was fine. It evidently wasn't VDP. Canna isn't going to fake it and say it was better just so it wouldn't be VDP. Why would he care what caused it? He just wanted to fix it and threw a help flag up.

I think a healthy plant is able to adapt to different VDPs. Otherwise plants would never make it through a whole season outside or an inside winter grow. Especially in some northeast states where the winters have days where the RH is in the 20's and the summers when it is hovering in the 90s.

I know there is such a thing as VDP I just don't think it stops people from growing great buds.

And never underestimate the healing powers of a transplant. You can search for critters and examine the roots a bit. You also give it more oxygen just by opening up the soil around the roots which can make a big difference.

No you don't want to transplant for a cal/mag issue. You have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. In this case the signs could have been hot soil. A transplant was a good call. Because hot soil could kill a plant fast and off kilter VDP won't.

Whoops....I need to read the thread more carefully...LOL....

U

UCtestn

This taco curling happened to me once....after asking tons of growers I found that it was due to dry conditions.....It only happened to one and it was right next to the fan....Moved it and sure enough ...It went back to normal.....People told me the plant does this to retain moisture.....just my .02.......Peace

Yup... the VPD of that plant was too large.

Should have changed your soil ;-)

M

Mmmmasonite

That's funny.....I was in hydro.....For me it was dry conditions with the fan rippin through there....but ......Maybe there are some deficiencies that do this as well....Fuck who knows.....Whatever works.....Get er dun!!!:harvest:

U

UCtestn

That's funny.....I was in hydro.....For me it was dry conditions with the fan rippin through there....but ......Maybe there are some deficiencies that do this as well....Fuck who knows.....Whatever works.....Get er dun!!!:harvest:

I had one happen in Hydro as well! In one case, no direct air was hitting the plant and at one point I thought... I need to add more air movement to that area of the room. The rest of the room looked fine.

Top Bottom