Welcome to "The Maxy Pad"!

• Thread starter Max Frost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Max Frost

Max Frost

Collembola. Springtail. Harmless.

So, is that different than fungus gnat larvae? I'm not familiar with them, tho "springtails" does ring a bell somewhere. Thankx bro!

Yeah I'm having a little gnat problem myself , I just ordered some neem oil and it should be in tomorrow. But I don't think they really cause a problem

Sorry to hear, D.D.! I've always just ignored them, and tried to keep my soil dry, and they always seem to die off on their own. It also helps increasing airflow. It's a great sense of satisfaction to see one fly into the air stream from the fan and get blown all to hell! Heh-heh! :shifty: I understand though, that even if they don't cause allot of direct damage, they can be a vector for diseases. I'm wondering now, if they might have something to do with the damping off since it's a fungal infection. I'm just gonna start treating for them. Let's kill 'em all and let Zoner sort it out! Haha...hi, bro!

I hate fungus gnats.

Yup!!! :finger: Do you treat for them, or let them run their course?

Thanks for dropping in everybody!

Max :wacky:

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

There worse time for me is in the summer months.. I place sticky traps on paper plates , and place them on the floor area.. and also hang one up.. I also been lightly misting my top soil after waterings with a little neem oil mix.. and mist the drainage holes too.. It just keeps the little bastards population down.. They love the organic matter and feast on it.. Chocolope! wtf.. More Special K bro.. Best always Donny Peps

Max Frost

Max Frost

There worse time for me is in the summer months.. I place sticky traps on paper plates , and place them on the floor area.. and also hang one up.. I also been lightly misting my top soil after waterings with a little neem oil mix.. and mist the drainage holes too.. It just keeps the little bastards population down.. They love the organic matter and feast on it.. Chocolope! wtf.. More Special K bro.. Best always Donny Peps

Yep...my poor little chocolope, bro. I'm mondo disappointed! :( I was really starting to look forward to it after researching it a bit, and seeing all the delicious You Tube grows of it! More bad news...the Grape Rom succumbed to it too! FUCK! :mad: Now I'm REALLY pissed at this shit! I talked to my guy at the grow store today and he said a few other customers had experienced the gnats and "other problems" (I never could get him to specify) with that batch of Happy Frog! He assures me his current inventory is NOT thusly affected! He's going to replace the soil at his cost and throw me a "couple of goodies" he said. I thought that was very nice. Well...as disappointing as this is, I have too many running right now anyway, so I won't restart them just yet. They are both definitely up next though! I'm getting worried about getting a GR now. Only 2 beans left!!!

Those yellow sticky traps are great! I've got several going right now. You have NO idea how bad of an infestation you may have until you use them. When I first put them out, I was seeing 3 or 4 gnats when I visited the girls, but it was never much worse than that. I put the traps out and 24 hours later, I had literally hundreds of the fuckers stuck! I was shocked! :eek: That's a good suggestion with the Neem Oil! I'll probably try that!

:meh: Oh well...onward and upward! Thanks for the special Karma bro! My research has found out that they're susceptible to this until about week 3-ish...so I'm not out of the woods yet either!

THANKS AGAIN TO BIGDAMBUD1!!! I appreciate you alerting me to the soil as a cause bro! I feel sure after talking to my guy, that this was the problem. When we hook up one of these days, BigMa...I owe ya dinner and drinks at the very least! I might even throw in a BigDamnBud!!!!

PEACE!

yellowhead

yellowhead

Hi Max.

Springtails are not related to fungus gnats.

Fungus gnats are small flies which lay their eggs in soil and coco. It their larvae which we have problems with. The larvae eat plant roots and can even work their way into stems, killing the plants.

Springtails are an entirely different type of animals that largely eat dcaying organic matter. Depending the the type - and I have no idea which one you have there - they can be beneficial or harmful. Beneficial, as they consume decaying matter and turn it into nutrient; harmful, as they can feed on root or spread pathogenic fungi through the consumption of mycelia and spores. So if you are having issues with damping off, that may be why.

If you did have fungus gnats, I suggest treating them. Left unchecked, their population can explode and cause real problems.

Max Frost

Max Frost

Hi Max.

Springtails are not related to fungus gnats.

Fungus gnats are small flies which lay their eggs in soil and coco. It their larvae which we have problems with. The larvae eat plant roots and can even work their way into stems, killing the plants.

Springtails are an entirely different type of animals that largely eat dcaying organic matter. Depending the the type - and I have no idea which one you have there - they can be beneficial or harmful. Beneficial, as they consume decaying matter and turn it into nutrient; harmful, as they can feed on root or spread pathogenic fungi through the consumption of mycelia and spores. So if you are having issues with damping off, that may be why.

If you did have fungus gnats, I suggest treating them. Left unchecked, their population can explode and cause real problems.

Super info, yellowhead! Thank you so much! Is there a way I can tell whether I have the beneficial or harmful variety? Also...what have you found is the best way to treat for the gnats? Any chance I can eradicate both the gnats and springtails at the same time? I hate to treat for anything more than I absolutely have to.

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

yellowhead

yellowhead

Super info, yellowhead! Thank you so much! Is there a way I can tell whether I have the beneficial or harmful variety? Also...what have you found is the best way to treat for the gnats? Any chance I can eradicate both the gnats and springtails at the same time? I hate to treat for anything more than I absolutely have to.

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

No idea on how to tell them apart. They're a hugely diverse group of little critters and I'm no expert on them.

As for fungus gnats, I'd go with something like Gnatrol, ie something that contains Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis), a specific type of bacterium that kills and consumes the gnat larvae. You add it to water when watering and it devastates them.

I'm not to sure on how to deal with the springtails unfortunately. Maybe someone else has experience here? IME one the few occasions I've had them, they haven't caused me problems so never tried to rid myself of them. That could just as easily have been luck mind you...

Max Frost

Max Frost

No idea on how to tell them apart. They're a hugely diverse group of little critters and I'm no expert on them.

As for fungus gnats, I'd go with something like Gnatrol, ie something that contains Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis), a specific type of bacterium that kills and consumes the gnat larvae. You add it to water when watering and it devastates them.

I'm not to sure on how to deal with the springtails unfortunately. Maybe someone else has experience here? IME one the few occasions I've had them, they haven't caused me problems so never tried to rid myself of them. That could just as easily have been luck mind you...

Thanks again YH! I've heard the Gnatrol is effective...and I sure like the idea of "devastating" the little bastards! Haha! I actually haven't seen ANY adult springtails...unless they look just like fungus gnats! lol. I guess I'll do a bit more research and talk to my guy at the grow store about them. He seems very knowledgable and hasn't steered me wrong yet. Again bro...thanks so much!

neverbreak

neverbreak

bro what yer lookin at are adult springtails! lol wikipedia is yer friend :P

i agree with the recommendation for gnatrol, it's good stuff. ya gotta make sure do do a couple of reapplications to break the cycle though.

neverbreak

Max Frost

Max Frost

bro what yer lookin at are adult springtails! lol wikipedia is yer friend :p

i agree with the recommendation for gnatrol, it's good stuff. ya gotta make sure do do a couple of reapplications to break the cycle though.

neverbreak

Thanks! The gnatrol sounds like the way to go for sure! LMAO...really? Those are the adults? I've been to two county fairs, a cock fight and a tea-party meeting, but I'm afraid I have precious little bug knowledge! I hear ya on the wiki's! I'm surprised though. They look live larvae, but don't really look like adult anythings...IMO. Maybe they seem more mature when you get to know them! :confused: Thanks again!

Max Frost

Max Frost

SORRY FOLKS!!!
PARK IS CLOSED!

(The moose out front shoulda told ya)!

Sorry

I'd like to thank everyone who has taken part and joined in here at the Maxy Pad. I'm beginning a test grow of some ROC strains, and have started a new diary. So...I'll be

Closing this thread out, and starting a new one here...

"Killer "ROC" Strains...bluhazebx2blu X Romulan, Grape Romulan, & Orange X Pineapple w/Induction Lite":

PLEASE, come join us and continue your visit! Thanks again to ALL!

Best,

Moose

greenthumb

greenthumb

Nice garden Max!
Encouraging!
Do you think I can grow with flurescent lights? I don't have ventilation other than a big fan.

Max Frost

Max Frost

Nice garden Max!
Encouraging!
Do you think I can grow with flurescent lights? I don't have ventilation other than a big fan.

Hey bro! Sorry, we closed this thread out. Please join us here:

I'll re-post your question, and answer it there. Thanks bro! Best, -Max

Top Bottom