Well here I am 66 yrs. old and growing Weed

• Thread starter TheCanadianBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Get a greenhouse. Even a little pvc hoop house and a heater will save you with as far north as we are!
Michigan here ... I'm considerably south of Nova Scotia. I have a greenhouse, and it's not quite as simple as providing shelter and heat. You still have to deal with RH during those colder nights. I'd be looking at autos and early maturing fast versions. You will probably do fine if your plants finish in the first 2 weeks of September. After that, the rising RH and the quick loss of daylight hours may make some strains hard to finish.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Michigan here ... I'm considerably south of Nova Scotia. I have a greenhouse, and it's not quite as simple as providing shelter and heat. You still have to deal with RH during those colder nights. I'd be looking at autos and early maturing fast versions. You will probably do fine if your plants finish in the first 2 weeks of September. After that, the rising RH and the quick loss of daylight hours may make some strains hard to finish.
Tears in my eyes about 20 years ago early October when my beautiful big girls got the rot in the entire crop before I realized they were fked. I lost the whole crop, I've been growing indoors since then, except last year and they were pulled early with PM. I'll have a few outdoors again this year but not as my primary supply. If I can shock them into flipping early that might just do the trick and allow me to finish them off in Sept.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Get a greenhouse. Even a little pvc hoop house and a heater will save you with as far north as we are!
It didn't help me. I built an A frame green house with a osculating fan 24/7, I still got PM in October. Fog, frost, cloudy, damp without enough sunlight to dry off early morning dew. A heater is useless in that type of green house, its like trying to heat up October the heat dissipates too quickly without insulation to hold it in. AND in Nova Scotia 15 cents per k/w/h plus tax means it gets too expensive to piss heat into the wind.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I did end up with minor PM on one plant. I believe it was Ice. It may have been more susceptible to it, I don’t know. It got a peroxide bath and we made bubble hash from it. The ice in the bags freezes the PM away.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It didn't help me. I built an A frame green house with a osculating fan 24/7, I still got PM in October. Fog, frost, cloudy, damp without enough sunlight to dry off early morning dew. A heater is useless in that type of green house, its like trying to heat up October the heat dissipates too quickly without insulation to hold it in. AND in Nova Scotia 15 cents per k/w/h plus tax means it gets too expensive to piss heat into the wind.

I put a propane heater in my greenhouse. It would retain the heat pretty well ... but ... moisture is a by product of using propane for heat. I could never get the roof of my greenhouse to dry completely once October rolled around. I've got Sugar Black Rose early version, and Caramello Fast version lined up for this summer. Both of those should finish in September.

Dan789

Dan789

flu forced me into another Hobby. Living in Nova Scotia, Canada with unruly weather and many obstacles I am getting ready for season two. First on was a total loss but sure learned a lot. Looking for suggestions on strains that will do well in our climate as any great prices on seeds, nutrients etc. Things like is it too early to start my plants to best soil to start them in.. Thanks in advance ..
Welcome, at least it’s keeping you busy, 1951 vintage myself...

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I put a propane heater in my greenhouse. It would retain the heat pretty well ... but ... moisture is a by product of using propane for heat. I could never get the roof of my greenhouse to dry completely once October rolled around. I've got Sugar Black Rose early version, and Caramello Fast version lined up for this summer. Both of those should finish in September.
Some up here have great success growing outdoor in worse ( to me ) climates. A guy in Edmonton last year grew monsters but he built a green house around them. Then added a wood stove, an insulated tarp to cover it, guard dog, fishing line and fish hooks attached to an alarm around it and ended up sleeping with them before harvest. lol

A hardy bunch up here and will go to great lengths to get a crop in.🥶🥶....Ice storm today!

Bass.man

Bass.man

Michigan grower here,this year I'm gonna try northern lights autos outside,they are supposed to be hardy and PM resistant.
Last year had a bad case of powdery mildew,had to wash all my buds...gonna try something new. Start indoors and harvest by august.

Hez

Hez

Michigan grower here,this year I'm gonna try northern lights autos outside,they are supposed to be hardy and PM resistant.
Last year had a bad case of powdery mildew,had to wash all my buds...gonna try something new. Start indoors and harvest by august.
This year started early inside. By the time it thaws enough to send them out to play outside, they should be showing the first signs of what sex they are so I can isolate the males .

Top Bottom