What’s wrong with this plant/leaves?

• Thread starter brownred
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

Well #3 is showing the same signs as #1 and #2 have and #3 has been is FFOF since the start.

When you said organic, I thought you meant a composted soil. I'm not sure Fox Farms qualifies as that. I get the impression it's more like amended (readily available) nutrients, not composted goodness. In your case, runoff might be good to get rid of the excess salts. Measuring the runoff ppms should be useful. I would do that before I start adding more salts to the soil. It appeas Fox Farms is slow drying. If you're keeping it too wet (which people often do), that can acidify the soil, limiting the uptake of nutrients. If the soil is too nutrient rich, that can be salt buildup. What looks like a deficiency could be from lockout. Adding more salts would make that worse.

Also, if you think it has Mg def, you can use epsom salt. 2.5 to 5g/gal is a good strength to treat a deficiency (depending on whether it's slight to severe). In that case you're only treating the deficiency, not adding calcium when there's no sign of needing it. If the deficiency is related to a Ca:Mg imbalance, adding Ca (with "calmag") would perpetuate that.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think the problem is the "Kind Hot Soil", which is used in an unusual way and has warnings about using it with other nutrients and boosters, which Fox Farms contains. Here is the quote:

Our system is designed to be a water only system from veg to harvest, DO NOT ADD ANYTHING other than carbon filtered water to your grow.

So, if FF is used along with anything else, it is contra-indicated. I would surmise that the Dust Base, the FFOF, and the Hot mix have overpowered your plants root system. I haven't seen plants that stop growing roots in the fashion thet the Hot Soil claims, so I'd be a bit skeptical of some of their claims.
I don't know what a good plan of action is, since flushing them will probably cause issues with overwatering (if FF is susceptible to too much water retention) or even activating more of the delayed release fertilizer. Re-potting sounds like a possible solution, but that is a lot of work and probably wouldn't provide any fast solutions. Your best plan of action might be to let the current plants to continue and see what happens while you prepare for a new grow and hopefully avoiding the mistakes that are appearing here.

brownred

brownred

When you said organic, I thought you meant a composted soil. I'm not sure Fox Farms qualifies as that. I get the impression it's more like amended (readily available) nutrients, not composted goodness. In your case, runoff might be good to get rid of the excess salts. Measuring the runoff ppms should be useful. I would do that before I start adding more salts to the soil. It appeas Fox Farms is slow drying. If you're keeping it too wet (which people often do), that can acidify the soil, limiting the uptake of nutrients. If the soil is too nutrient rich, that can be salt buildup. What looks like a deficiency could be from lockout. Adding more salts would make that worse.

Also, if you think it has Mg def, you can use epsom salt. 2.5 to 5g/gal is a good strength to treat a deficiency (depending on whether it's slight to severe). In that case you're only treating the deficiency, not adding calcium when there's no sign of needing it. If the deficiency is related to a Ca:Mg imbalance, adding Ca (with "calmag") would perpetuate that.
I think the problem is the "Kind Hot Soil", which is used in an unusual way and has warnings about using it with other nutrients and boosters, which Fox Farms contains. Here is the quote:

Our system is designed to be a water only system from veg to harvest, DO NOT ADD ANYTHING other than carbon filtered water to your grow.

So, if FF is used along with anything else, it is contra-indicated. I would surmise that the Dust Base, the FFOF, and the Hot mix have overpowered your plants root system. I haven't seen plants that stop growing roots in the fashion thet the Hot Soil claims, so I'd be a bit skeptical of some of their claims.
I don't know what a good plan of action is, since flushing them will probably cause issues with overwatering (if FF is susceptible to too much water retention) or even activating more of the delayed release fertilizer. Re-potting sounds like a possible solution, but that is a lot of work and probably wouldn't provide any fast solutions. Your best plan of action might be to let the current plants to continue and see what happens while you prepare for a new grow and hopefully avoiding the mistakes that are appearing here.
I didn’t see anything about using carbonated water. What I seen is ph to 6.5 to 7.0.

az2000

az2000

I think that means carbon *filter* to remove chlorine from the water. (I thought only RO filtering would remove it. I thought carbon just removed the odor. I don't know.).

Personally, I think the effect of chlorinated tap water on soil is overrated. I never worry about it (but, I'm not religious about organic soil, nutrients, etc). I just add a pinch of sugar (from the kitchen) into every gallon of nutrient mix. The amount of chlorine in tap water isn't intended to sanitize a big pot of *dirt*. It will be exhausted pretty fast. The pinch of sugar in the water will promote bacterial growth in the water if you do it the night before, and deplete the sanitizer. Or, it will feed the beneficial microbes, helping them rebound from whatever effect the sanitizer has on them. (That's the way I look at it.).

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I didn’t see anything about using carbonated water. What I seen is ph to 6.5 to 7.0.
Nothing was mentioned about carbonated water, just the carbon filtered water, which is a type of water filtration system. They seemed pretty adamant about not using ANYTHING other than plain water in the 6.5 - 7.0 range. That is somewhat restrictive requirements and I'm thinking this might be why it seems like a nutrient excess, at least to me. I'm not trying to make a controversy, I am just trying to get things on the right track based on my experience. I don't use many extras in my growing mixes and I tend to be skeptical about new or unusual products that make exaggerated claims or have a lot of restrictions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think that means carbon *filter* to remove chlorine from the water. (I thought only RO filtering would remove it. I thought carbon just removed the odor. I don't know.).

Personally, I think the effect of chlorinated tap water on soil is overrated. I never worry about it (but, I'm not religious about organic soil, nutrients, etc). I just add a pinch of sugar (from the kitchen) into every gallon of nutrient mix. The amount of chlorine in tap water isn't intended to sanitize a big pot of *dirt*. It will be exhausted pretty fast. The pinch of sugar in the water will promote bacterial growth in the water if you do it the night before, and deplete the sanitizer. Or, it will feed the beneficial microbes, helping them rebound from whatever effect the sanitizer has on them. (That's the way I look at it.).
It's the carbon filter cartridge that removes chlorine on the RO units. The ones with multiple and using catalytic carbon will also remove chloramine but most system do not unless making additions.

brownred

brownred

Nothing was mentioned about carbonated water, just the carbon filtered water, which is a type of water filtration system. They seemed pretty adamant about not using ANYTHING other than plain water in the 6.5 - 7.0 range. That is somewhat restrictive requirements and I'm thinking this might be why it seems like a nutrient excess, at least to me. I'm not trying to make a controversy, I am just trying to get things on the right track based on my experience. I don't use many extras in my growing mixes and I tend to be skeptical about new or unusual products that make exaggerated claims or have a lot of restrictions.
I don’t see you being controversial I appreciate the input from everyone. My tap water is 8.3 so I’ve been using Earth Juice to bring it to 6.8.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don’t see you being controversial I appreciate the input from everyone. My tap water is 8.3 so I’ve been using Earth Juice to bring it to 6.8.
Eeek 8.3? Dam what's the ppm of that? You must need quite a bit of ph down. In outdoor in the ground it wouldn't even phase me but in pots that high might be an issue I would not be surprised if you were 600+ppm

Reactions: RLB
brownred

brownred

Eeek 8.3? Dam what's the ppm of that? You must need quite a bit of ph down. In outdoor in the ground it wouldn't even phase me but in pots that high might be an issue I would not be surprised if you were 600+ppm
I don’t know but I have a PPM meter I’ll check it.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Sorry I should have mentioned the grow method. I am a beginner also and this is supposed to be an a organic grow.

3 seeds were started in solo cups. Seed 1 and 2 in Promix HP in one tent (pictured) and the (3) third seed in FFOF in another tent (which is not showing any negative sights). They were all mixed with a sprinkle Green Sunshine company’s Earth Dust Base.

Then they were transplanted in 1 gallon plastic pots with 1 TBS of Earth Dust Base. Seed 1 and 2 transplanted using Promix HP and seed 3 in FFOF. After the transplant is where 1 and 2 started showing the above signs. Then 1, 2 and 3 were transplanted into 5 gallon fabric pots with a 5 pound bag of Kind Soil Hot Soil in the bottom of each pot and filled the rest of way with FFOF.

1 and 2 still show the above signs and 3 still looks good.

I hope this all makes sense.
Something is not right. Are you on city water? You sure it doesn't read x10?
My city water is 8.9 / 118 PPM, so 40 did sound low but I suspect it could be possible ?

R

RLB

Spot on !

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Okay, I’ve been watering with PH of 6.8 to 7.0 which is suggested with organic grow.
I will look into the PH further. But it’s of that #3 is doing fine with the same regimen.
Thank you all for your responses.
Your pH is too high for ffof and you've locked out calcium;

reduce it to 6.3 - 6.5

And you might want to give it a quick folar feed of some calcium or calmag if that's what you have, good luck

Reactions: RLB
Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Sorry I should have mentioned the grow method. I am a beginner also and this is supposed to be an a organic grow.

3 seeds were started in solo cups. Seed 1 and 2 in Promix HP in one tent (pictured) and the (3) third seed in FFOF in another tent (which is not showing any negative sights). They were all mixed with a sprinkle Green Sunshine company’s Earth Dust Base.

Then they were transplanted in 1 gallon plastic pots with 1 TBS of Earth Dust Base. Seed 1 and 2 transplanted using Promix HP and seed 3 in FFOF. After the transplant is where 1 and 2 started showing the above signs. Then 1, 2 and 3 were transplanted into 5 gallon fabric pots with a 5 pound bag of Kind Soil Hot Soil in the bottom of each pot and filled the rest of way with FFOF.
1 and 2 still show the above signs and 3 still looks good.

I hope this all makes sense.
Hey Brownred, I'm seeing a lot of guesses here, just think about the whole story after you transplanted the problem occurred, promos has no nutrients and Earth Dust has to "cook" for at least a week so it's available to your plants. Feed them!!

Top Bottom