What am I doing wrong

• Thread starter Dabward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dabward

Dabward

These guys are 14 days old. Under. 400 watt led. At 50% and 18 inches from the light. They were germinated in solo cups and ocean forest until Sunday. They were transplanted into 3 gal. Air pruning pots on Sunday.2.5gal promix flx which is devoid of nutrients. And .5 gallon of coco loco right around the roots. Sprinkled with great white and watered w 20 oz of distilled water PH Up'd to 6.4. No nutrients. Im seeing this yellowing between the dark green veins. . The one in the back that is still drooping nearly 48 hrs after watering. I'm afraid I may have over watered while it was in the solo cup but roots were healthy. It has been years since my last grown. From the leaf charts it looks like iron deficiencies or N def. So I really want to water them with a 1/4 nutrient solution. But especially that back droopy one. I'm not sure I should add any water. Something has to change. There is a chart attached to show where my humidity and VPD are and yes leaf temps are factored in. Ambient temp stays between 74.5-76.5 . There is a Tornado fan in there and im wondering if wind stress is a thing. Tornado may be too much even on low at this close a distance.. about 18 inches. Bottom line I don't know what to do next . And im scared .. maybe hungry..

What am i doing wrong
What am i doing wrong 2
What am i doing wrong 3
What am i doing wrong 4
What am i doing wrong 5
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I believe generally accepted guidelines are that light-green new growth indicates lack of nutrients. I would feed them next time you water. Good that you're trying to avoid over-watering. Don't be scared to let the soil dry out. If you wait too long your plant will droop like a deflated balloon, and that's even OK -- it will give you a good idea of how dry is too dry. As long as they aren't left to droop too long the plants will bounce right back in 1-2 hours once they get water.

Dabward

Dabward

I believe generally accepted guidelines are that light-green new growth indicates lack of nutrients. I would feed them next time you water. Good that you're trying to avoid over-watering. Don't be scared to let the soil dry out. If you wait too long your plant will droop like a deflated balloon, and that's even OK -- it will give you a good idea of how dry is too dry. As long as they aren't left to droop too long the plants will bounce right back in 1-2 hours once they
Thanks man. Genuinely appreciate the feedback. I'm rusty. Some stuff is engrained. Like don't over water. But I do feel like a rookie again.(Good&Bad). The feedback and support I've been getting here is invaluable.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You need to soak those pots my friend, and not with distilled water. You should soak them with quality tap water or spring water, or, Reverse osmosis with Calcium added back into it. And then soak those damn pots a little at a time until you get solution pouring out the bottom. Then, don't water again until they're nearly dry again. You shouldnt need to feed until the 2nd watering but you could feed now, just titrate the feeds starting really low, 500ppm or so.

I'd also lift the light to 24 inches at 50% for a few days, they don't like a ton of light after transplanting.

Dabward

Dabward

Leaves look awfully fat like are they the right side is sativa left side indica..green crack drooping in the back

Leaves look awfully fat like are they indicas?
Rooms split right now..sativa on the right indica left. Green Crack is drooping in the back. Haze xl AF front. Back left is orange sherbert barney farms and Northern lights AF front left

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also fwiw, there is no sense ph'ing distilled water since it has no ions in solution and will instantly buffer to the ph of the media. The problem with distilled water though is that it creates a reverse osmosis effect that can actually pull nutrients out of plant tissues. You need to have at least some ions in solution and some alkalinity.

Water is a complicated subject but it makes a world of difference.

Dabward

Dabward

You need to soak those pots my friend, and not with distilled water. You should soak them with quality tap water or spring water, or, Reverse osmosis with Calcium added back into it. And then soak those damn pots a little at a time until you get solution pouring out the bottom. Then, don't water again until they're nearly dry again. You shouldnt need to feed until the 2nd watering but you could feed now, just titrate the feeds starting really low, 500ppm or so.

I'd also lift the light to 24 inches at 50% for a few days, they don't like a ton of light after transplanting.
Thnx .. Yeah RO filter has been ordered. Doesn't get here until Friday tho.. and I did turn the lights down to 40% but it couldn't hurt to raise them too. Sooo let me add this. I watered them Saturday morning in the solo cups. Then again Sunday after transplanting. But only the 2 cups .. watering again tuesday.. seems like a lot. I'm conflicted....

Dabward

Dabward

Also fwiw, there is no sense ph'ing distilled water since it has no ions in solution and will instantly buffer to the ph of the media. The problem with distilled water though is that it creates a reverse osmosis effect that can actually pull nutrients out of plant tissues. You need to have at least some ions in solution and some alkalinity.

Water is a complicated subject but it makes a world of difference.
The more you know! So inline with that. Your other post makes more sense now. Flush out that distilled water and replace it w healthy water and nutrients.. Right?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Overwatering doesn't mean too much water at one given feeding, it means watering too often before it's properly dried out and not allowing the soil to pull in oxygen. Promix is nearly as impossible to overwater as coco, not quite but close. And it is VERY important that when you water, that you completely saturate the media beyond field capacity so that you force a little runoff. That runoff actually pulls a bit of oxygen into the media, and now the roots can fully explore the pot. The roots just won't grow into dry media, so you have to really wet it everytime you water.

What you want to be careful about is not watering again until the pot is quite dry. After transplant I'd expect it to take 5-6 days to dry out a 3 gal pot if the environment is correct, which it seems to be. Could be a little warmer really, LED benefits from temps closer to the 80-82f range to drive transportation. Those VPD charts are useless unless your taking leaf temps into account as the 3rd variable

Dabward

Dabward

The more you know! So inline with that. Your other post makes more sense now. Flush out that distilled water and replace it w healthy water and nutrients.. Right?

Overwatering doesn't mean too much water at one given feeding, it means watering too often before it's properly dried out and not allowing the soil to pull in oxygen. Promix is nearly as impossible to overwater as coco, not quite but close. And it is VERY important that when you water, that you completely saturate the media beyond field capacity so that you force a little runoff. That runoff actually pulls a bit of oxygen into the media, and now the roots can fully explore the pot. The roots just won't grow into dry media, so you have to really wet it everytime you water.

What you want to be careful about is not watering again until the pot is quite dry. After transplant I'd expect it to take 5-6 days to dry out a 3 gal pot if the environment is correct, which it seems to be. Could be a little warmer really, LED benefits from temps closer to the 80-82f range to drive transportation. Those VPD charts are useless unless your taking leaf temps into account as the 3rd variable
Which one do you think will do more damage. The fact that I fed them distilled water and it's sucking life out of my girls or .. Despite the fact I gave them distilled water.. The fact stands that those roots have been wet since Saturday. So if I saturate now that'll likely cause some sort of root issue

So those VPd readings do take leafe temp into consideration.I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. I average all 4 plants tho. 2 are approx 3° colder than room temp and the GC was 4.5 so I averaged it to -3.4° Maybe I'm using this wrong. But the controller has a vpd monitor where you can enter average canopy temp. + or minus by .1° increments. And I hit them with the IR heat gun on the top leaves. Not the brand new growth but the second set of yet undeveloped leaves. And then input the average and it adjusts the vpd.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Which one do you think will do more damage. The fact that I fed them distilled water and it's sucking life out of my girls or .. Despite the fact I gave them distilled water.. The fact stands that those roots have been wet since Saturday. So if I saturate now that'll likely cause some sort of root issue

So those VPd readings do take leafe temp into consideration.I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. I average all 4 plants tho. 2 are approx 3° colder than room temp and the GC was 4.5 so I averaged it to -3.4° Maybe I'm using this wrong. But the controller has a vpd monitor where you can enter average canopy temp. + or minus by .1° increments. And I hit them with the IR heat gun on the top leaves. Not the brand new growth but the second set of yet undeveloped leaves. And then input the average and it adjusts the vpd.
Sounds like your doing it right then.

And if they only got 20oz per pot on Saturday that's not much, I'd water them again asap to soak the pot properly. Promix can absolutely handle it. FFOF is much fussier with regard to the wet/dry cycle.

Dabward

Dabward

Sounds like your doing it right then.

And if they only got 20oz per pot on Saturday that's not much, I'd water them again asap to soak the pot properly. Promix can absolutely handle it. FFOF is much fussier with regard to the wet/dry cycle.
I am just seeing this. Didn't get an alert from the app.. I did raise the heat like you suggested. Letting it top out at 80.. and lowered light intensity and raised it a little.. overall 2 of 4 actually look decent.. but there is more yellowing today. On the other 2 Really wish I had seen this yesterday. BUT it'll be okay. I'll soak tonight and if they bounce back great. If not I germinated a back up Monday that sprouted today. A. Banana haze to go with the orange sherbert. And a critical purple to replace the NL if they all make it I have gifts!!!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Lmao ahhh yeah thcfarmer is in app form on Android atleast
Google Play has no results for "THC Farmer". I tried TapATalk but don't see THCFarmer listed. Someone share some links please?

Latest posts

Top Bottom