What are the best organic nutrients that I can make or buy?

• Thread starter critical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mmmmasonite

Yeah ...you can get sea bird guano at around the same NPK for $7 for 5 lbs.

G

Guano17z

Some help ct guy or anyone please.

Hi I was winderig if u could give me ur advie on a tea mix. I have read alot of your posts and they are great. Here is my tea, feel free to criticize all you want.
5 gallons well water
1.5 cups worm castings
1 cup alaskin humisoil
2tbsp kelp meal
2tbsp alfalfa meal
2.5 tbsp molasses
Maybe some fish meal And I also have oyster shell flour and canola seed along with high nitrogen bat guano but don't know if I should be adding those. I use use well water and brew around 75 degrees. Maybe thinking of adding some micorhizae at end of brewing. Please help.
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

C

CT Guy

Some help ct guy or anyone please.

Hi I was winderig if u could give me ur advie on a tea mix. I have read alot of your posts and they are great. Here is my tea, feel free to criticize all you want.
5 gallons well water
1.5 cups worm castings
1 cup alaskin humisoil
2tbsp kelp meal
2tbsp alfalfa meal
2.5 tbsp molasses
Maybe some fish meal And I also have oyster shell flour and canola seed along with high nitrogen bat guano but don't know if I should be adding those. I use use well water and brew around 75 degrees. Maybe thinking of adding some micorhizae at end of brewing. Please help.
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Check out the %'s by volume in this article for a good starting point on brewing amounts. I think you're using too much compost/alaskan humus.

Personally, I would incorporate most of those ingredients into my soil mix prior to planting (kelp, fish meal, alfalfa meal, oyster shell, etc...). All excellent, just better utilized in your soil mix in my opinion.

C

CT Guy

Out of all the Nuts that I've used (hydro or soil) I've found that Plant Magic is the best.

I've just recently started going down the soil route and was researching which nutrients to use. My local grow shop recommended something called Plant Magic. I went and googled for some info. Anyway to cut a long story short everyone that had used this stuff was raving about it . http://www.plant-magic.co.uk/

So I though I would grow 3 plants ( 2 Cheese X Afghani and 1 Thai X Brazilian) using Plant Magics soil supreme along with there organic old timers grow & bloom. All I can say is that they look healthier the branches are thicker and have grown faster than the 6 plants I have in my hydro system using Canna.

It has completely changed the way I though about soil as a growing media. After the plants in my hydro system have finished I will be using the Plant Magic soil along with there nutrient line instead of hydro.

Can't recommend the stuff enough :)

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I looked at the website you keep promoting and there is absolutely ZERO information in regards to ingredients. How are they any better than all the other "nutrient" companies in this regard? I have yet to find a commercial liquid nutrient that I can't beat, using my own kelp, fish, and other products from the local feed store, and for a fraction of the cost.

If you can post an ingredient list or some info that shows the superiority of this brand/product it would be appreciated.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Super soil or some teas. Personally Im a fan of Age Old as many ol school organics guys are and have had no issues over time. Just me though and some die hard homies.

ditto. It's important how old they are and how they've been stored. I could imagine them going bad if they were stored improperly. Other than that, never heard of any problems. Killing plants? Honestly, I'd rather believe it was some other issue... :) Nice recommendations from everybody, though. If you want to see what Age Old can do for you, check out Waayne, True Grit, or even my photos. Peace

L

LBZ Farmer

If you wanted to go completely organic, try preparing Comfrey leaves as a liquid fertilizer which is high in N.P.K. You chop down the leaves and leave them to break down in a plastic bag for a few months, leaving a foul smelling natural liquid fertilizer. Growing this in your garden alongside having a worm farm for the castings would be ideal for organic farmers! Have a look at this link:

The best form of Comfrey is the Bocking strain that doesn't spread like wildfire. Unfortunately for all you Americans, this is only available in the UK. If anyone was to be really nice to me, I could post some to you...

WOW nice post!

C

CT Guy

Yep I keep "promoting it" because it works. A simple internet search will reveal that what I'm saying is true. This product is made in the UK so it might not be available in the US or Canada.

Just to clarify before my initial break in growing I had previously been growing hydro for over ten years. So during that time (as you could probably imagine) I have tried many different nutrients. I can't comment on your position on not being able to find a nutrient that performs as good or costs less than what you can make it for. All I know is that from my experience in growing is that this is the best nutrient that I have ever used.

Also this isn't an expensive product unlike many other nutrient manufactures.

Just because some stoners say they could grow weed with it doesn't mean it's a great product. If you want to go the bottled nutrient route, that's fine, but could you at least point me in the direction of some actual information about what's in the product?

S

Shredder

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I looked at the website you keep promoting and there is absolutely ZERO information in regards to ingredients. How are they any better than all the other "nutrient" companies in this regard? I have yet to find a commercial liquid nutrient that I can't beat, using my own kelp, fish, and other products from the local feed store, and for a fraction of the cost.

If you can post an ingredient list or some info that shows the superiority of this brand/product it would be appreciated.

Hey CT, easy man, we got a new grower and his gear looks just fine. And being in the UK, I have zero idea what is available. An a quick look at the nutrient line is almost self explanatory. We can argue the minutia but his plants look nice using his stuff. And i 'm sure he is eager to learn and read, who knows? next year he could be raising comfrey and foraging for nettles. I think he is doing fine......shredder

C

CT Guy

Fair enough, I guess my eyebrows just go up when someone with few to no posts comes on here and starts raving about a commercial nute line.

And it's a sore spot for me that bottled nutrient companies just bottle seaweed extract with a little water and throw a fancy label on it as a "bloom formula" and then charge 1000x what it's worth.

I think it's great to share a good experience with a product or product line, don't get me wrong. I just want people to be informed and educated about what they're using. Don't take a company for granted when they say their product is "organic."

And lastly, I'm a firm believer that if you build your soil, then you don't need any bottled nutrients anyway. A good soil will solve/remediate 99% of the problems new growers have (minus lighting and ventilation issues).

Okay, so sorry if I gave you too hard of a time. Maybe I've ran into too many Advanced Nutrient reps posing as growers and raving about their shitty products....

L

LBZ Farmer

I like the idea of Comfrey and I think I might get some of the Bocking 14. But I have a few questions.

How many Comfrey plants would I need for a normal size house to use in my own garden. I am not talking about a house full of marijuana, I only have a 4x4 room. But I am learning about making my own fertilizer and testing outside on my vegatables first.... HA HA If I have to buy tomatos at the store... Whatever, but if I had to buy medicine. OH MAN....

Eventually I would love to brew all my own teas and be totaly Veganic / organic.

1. Does it stink while the plant is growing?
2. Is Dark Energy made from this? Reason I ask is everyone who tried dark energy said it worked but would never use it again because it stunk up the whole house.
3. How often would you use this?
4. What would Comfrey replace in your nutrient line up? Specifically in the GO line of products... Which is what I use and love right now.

I have tried my fair share of Nutrients and the last year I have had a bunch of success with Gerneral Organics. I got to test it free and I loved it. I grow some great medicine! Check out my posts in The OG Raskal Seed contest 3.

This is a cool thread guys, thank you all for sharing.

C

CT Guy

I like the idea of Comfrey and I think I might get some of the Bocking 14. But I have a few questions.

How many Comfrey plants would I need for a normal size house to use in my own garden. I am not talking about a house full of marijuana, I only have a 4x4 room. But I am learning about making my own fertilizer and testing outside on my vegatables first.... HA HA If I have to buy tomatos at the store... Whatever, but if I had to buy medicine. OH MAN....

Eventually I would love to brew all my own teas and be totaly Veganic / organic.

2. Is Dark Energy made from this? Reason I ask is everyone who tried dark energy said it worked but would never use it again because it stunk up the whole house.
4. What would Comfrey replace in your nutrient line up? Specifically in the GO line of products... Which is what I use and love right now.

I have tried my fair share of Nutrients and the last year I have had a bunch of success with Gerneral Organics. I got to test it free and I loved it. I grow some great medicine! Check out my posts in The OG Raskal Seed contest 3.

Well it sounds like you're already aware of how invasive certain varieties can be. I know you can buy it in a powdered form. Not sure if you can re-hydrate and then ferment it with the same results.

Have you thought about nettles? Alfalfa? Horsetail? There's so many other plants that you can grow as well.

There's a thread on IC in the organic soil section on this that you might want to check out.

L

LBZ Farmer

Ohh ok so not just this plant then... I read this article and wow it sounded amazing. I am going to start learning a bit more... I am excited.

true grit

true grit

ditto. It's important how old they are and how they've been stored. I could imagine them going bad if they were stored improperly. Other than that, never heard of any problems. Killing plants? Honestly, I'd rather believe it was some other issue... :) Nice recommendations from everybody, though. If you want to see what Age Old can do for you, check out Waayne, True Grit, or even my photos. Peace

word- this run, im back in soil with full age old and some plants in super soil- all look amazing. Blowing up and eatin more than ever and ready to get hard during stack. Now that Bud candy is being called organic, lol- not sure on this one, but been using it with the super soil...things are stacking fast and hard. I'll be able to get a nice comparison as well this round of age old vs. super soil with some chemds.

S

Shredder

I never really thought about making my own nutes, any tips?

I'm kind of busy right now but you could google fermented plant extracts, nettles, comfrey. That should get you started. Plus you may want to check out any organic organizations in your area..........shredder

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've been reading a good bit on using human urine to fertlize, and lemme tell ya, it's making me wonder why anyone would let good pee go to waste. Works better than chemical salt fertilizers in every test and experiment I've found. In combination with wood ashes and it's even better.

S

Shredder

Thanks Shredder :)

No problemo.

Actually CT Guy is a gentleman, and one of the smarter guys on these boards. I'm more of a parrot if you will. i read things, try some, and spread the word to new growers. But I have no background in agriculture, or science in general. So most of my learning has come from listening to the smartest guys in the room. CT Guy is one of them.

But we run into some growers who for whatever reason get enamoured on their particular line of nutrients. They defend it to death and won't listen to any criticism or new evidence. And we have folks who get free nutrients in exchange for spreading the "word" all around these forums. So some of what you might read on these forums is very bias........shredder

U

Udyana Peace

LBZ Farmer

A single Bocking 14 plant will produce 20 - 25 lbs. of biomass with each cutting and depending on where you live you can expect to get 4 - 6 cuttings per year.

It does not smell at all while growing. It's when you make a fermented tea with it that the smell is pretty bad. Even worse than stinging nettles which I didn't think was possible.

Comfrey is what is referred to as a 'biodynamic nutrient accumulator' which refers to certain plants which accumulate nutrients far in excess of what that plant needs to sustain growth. Comfrey will provide you with organic forms of Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Nitrogen, phytohormones, PGRs, SARs, etc. Comfrey accomplishes this by sending roots as deep as 15' pulling up minerals into the upper root zone though I wouldn't recommend using this as a companion plant other than in an orchard or if your were growing cane berries.

Comfrey has equal levels of Nitrogen and Phosphorus as animal manure but it's the Potassium levels that are stunning - 3.8x the levels of Potassium over animal manures.

The Bocking 14 is one of about 10 cultivars developed by Lawrence Hills in the 1950's. His book on comfrey ( Comfrey: Past Present and Future) is referenced over and over in studies from Australia, Great Britain, Austria, et al. Another book by Hills is available online for viewing but you have to pay to download. I don't recall the exact title but that book was the last one written before the one I mentioned.

One way to vastly reduce the smell from fermenting comfrey tea is to bypass the tea process and make comfrey extract which is simply to take the comfrey leaves and chop them up in a paint bucket. Add nothing else. Put a weight on the chopped leaves (large rock, 1 gallon jug filled with water, etc.) and in about 3 weeks (probably less) you'll have a brown mess that is pure decomposed comfrey leaves. You would mix that and dilute with water an apply to your soils. The extract can be kept for several months - up to about 2 years if stored correctly.

YouTube has several videos about growing and using comfrey as a fertilizer. 90% are from Great Britain and Australia. There are images of a fully-developed plant.

I have 4 comfrey plants growing and that is to cover 200 s.f. of raised beds with green mulch week to week, 4 medical plants and to feed an 8' x 2' x 2' worm bin.

Maybe not this year but certainly by next spring you would probably find that 1 plant is enough. Then again the root starts are only $2.00 each so it's not like you'll be out a great deal of money.

If you start with a single plant this season and next year you decide you want more comfrey plants then you simply take a spade and whack off a chunk of the root and cut it into 3" pieces and plant them and you'll have a new comfrey plant. When you buy the root pieces it looks exactly like a piece of wet piece of wood. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that anything could grow from this stick - it's an amazing plant.

HTH

UP

C

CT Guy

LBZ Farmer

A single Bocking 14 plant will produce 20 - 25 lbs. of biomass with each cutting and depending on where you live you can expect to get 4 - 6 cuttings per year.

It does not smell at all while growing. It's when you make a fermented tea with it that the smell is pretty bad. Even worse than stinging nettles which I didn't think was possible.

Comfrey is what is referred to as a 'biodynamic nutrient accumulator' which refers to certain plants which accumulate nutrients far in excess of what that plant needs to sustain growth. Comfrey will provide you with organic forms of Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Nitrogen, phytohormones, PGRs, SARs, etc. Comfrey accomplishes this by sending roots as deep as 15' pulling up minerals into the upper root zone though I wouldn't recommend using this as a companion plant other than in an orchard or if your were growing cane berries.

Comfrey has equal levels of Nitrogen and Phosphorus as animal manure but it's the Potassium levels that are stunning - 3.8x the levels of Potassium over animal manures.

The Bocking 14 is one of about 10 cultivars developed by Lawrence Hills in the 1950's. His book on comfrey ( Comfrey: Past Present and Future) is referenced over and over in studies from Australia, Great Britain, Austria, et al. Another book by Hills is available online for viewing but you have to pay to download. I don't recall the exact title but that book was the last one written before the one I mentioned.

One way to vastly reduce the smell from fermenting comfrey tea is to bypass the tea process and make comfrey extract which is simply to take the comfrey leaves and chop them up in a paint bucket. Add nothing else. Put a weight on the chopped leaves (large rock, 1 gallon jug filled with water, etc.) and in about 3 weeks (probably less) you'll have a brown mess that is pure decomposed comfrey leaves. You would mix that and dilute with water an apply to your soils. The extract can be kept for several months - up to about 2 years if stored correctly.

YouTube has several videos about growing and using comfrey as a fertilizer. 90% are from Great Britain and Australia. There are images of a fully-developed plant.

I have 4 comfrey plants growing and that is to cover 200 s.f. of raised beds with green mulch week to week, 4 medical plants and to feed an 8' x 2' x 2' worm bin.

Maybe not this year but certainly by next spring you would probably find that 1 plant is enough. Then again the root starts are only $2.00 each so it's not like you'll be out a great deal of money.

If you start with a single plant this season and next year you decide you want more comfrey plants then you simply take a spade and whack off a chunk of the root and cut it into 3" pieces and plant them and you'll have a new comfrey plant. When you buy the root pieces it looks exactly like a piece of wet piece of wood. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that anything could grow from this stick - it's an amazing plant.

HTH

UP

Couldn't you add EM to the fermentation process to eliminate most of the odor?

Latest posts

Top Bottom