What Are Your Must Have Landrace Breeding Stock

• Thread starter Canalchemist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Just curious what everyone's must have Landrace strains are, for Indica or Sativa, What's the go to individual.

H

happy b

Afghan . although I prefer a landrace that has been acclimatised to indoor growing and has been bred for a few generations to try and make the line a bit more stable . when dna genetics first came out I got theyr landrace afghan and the seeds were straight from Afghanistan . Most phenos,s were totally crap but there was one.a big tall stretchy afghan that had an amazing pungent kind of acrid (but in a good way)hashy taste that I couldn't get enough of (I'm terrible at describing smells). and the buds were rock hard but the yield was average but I loved it . wish I still had it but because I thought it was a common pheno in that line,that I would be able to get it again if i bought another pack .so I flowered out the mother . a year or so later I bought 2 more packs and couldn't find a pheno that had the same particular taste . nothing even close.and nothing like it since . I don't have the space or patience for pure landrace sativa . I would say 12 weeks is the longest flowering time I'm prepared to deal with.

QuantumGen

QuantumGen

Id take some Colombian or mexican anyday(to the moon alice), thai and south african(beautiful cut of durb here in CO) on the sativa side. Hindu kush for me, on the landrace indica side. Id take some pakisani chitral too. I've had some pretty ok afgani but never blown away... Most bomb pure indicas ive had, with exception to hindu(pure kush), all seem to be much better with some approximation of neighboring indica bred in.

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

sum lapis mtn indica
A20141120 192922

A20141120 193000
Adscn0187

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Id take some pakisani chitral too.

I am also interested in how your experience with the PCK was, the reason I ask is because I also am very interested in PCK as a landrace that would be good for a Medical strain Creation, but it is the first I have heard of the Lapis MTN Indica.

slausongardens

slausongardens

^^ i always wanted to run the PCK cuz it looks so beautiful but i heard the potency was kinda weak so i never pulled the trigger.

I've never had any luck trying to find a good landrace.. it probably takes a lot of pheno hunting which i didn't do.. i know theres some gems in a lot of these landraces, just gotta be found.

i tried to find something in the mulanje gold but thats a hard strain to pheno hunt with considering its long flowering and wild style. got a lot of different phonos though.. none were anything special. also tried with different afghans and nothing comparable to the stuff already out there.

i would be interested in the vietnam black also and finding a good mexican would be awesome, a throwback to the high i grew up on.. theres some amazing highs in those mexican landraces.

also anything from india or the tibetan region seems nice.. there was a landrace from kerala i really wanted to check out.

i wish more people would play with pure sati vas

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Sounds like the Lapis will be a real consideration for the "Bank", I have been thinking a lot about the grass roots of cannabis, I feel compelled to start a preservation project. I am not sure what other breeders do but I imagine they do preserve there good genetics through seed, or perhaps a good cut through selfing. When reading forums I always hear that people were gutted when they lost this or that cut, or "I grew this or that but then lost it when this or that happened". Just seems to make sense if your going through the trouble of finding and growing a true breeding landrace it wouldn't be a huge deal just to take a couple of clones and self your favourite plant, and preserve with silica in the fridge or freezer.

Last edited:
QuantumGen

QuantumGen

I am also interested in how your experience with the PCK was, the reason I ask is because I also am very interested in PCK as a landrace that would be good for a Medical strain Creation, but it is the first I have heard of the Lapis MTN Indica.
Pakistani was short and finished fast(8 weeks). She could get dark (purp)if you took her to 10 weeks, which i always did. Not thick stout growth, no big knuckles, and weak branching, mostly all main cola. Big main cola though. Must be disected so no mold develops during dry time. I grew her for 3 or so rounds, cuz she wasnt THAT special. Nugs showed odd density, massivly nestled calyx development, and the smell was unique. Lightly fruity, kinda sweet nd sour with a dark undertone. Like a basement smell. When smokes the basment smell transitioned better than the fruit aroma, woodsy an earthy (nothing special). High was relaxing, but again, nothin to write home about. For me it was filling in quick, very rapid development. It seemed to fill in and last pistils started to turn by week 7. Its color and smell and trich head size is all that seemed to increase after that. But the influence the speed and big cola formation, along with the influence the flavor might have when hybridized, i think would make it good for breeding. Its not like it was a bummer to smoke, i just had more elite smoke to inhale, so i usually kept little. Just wasnt the jar i reached for. I decided i didnt have room for her and she was cut. I got her as a cutting from my sisters boyfriend so i didnt grow her from see, but i do think he did. A male PCK would be fun to do a round of seeds with.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Thanks for the very complete experience, much appreciated, I think the male idea is a good one, I would expect best to cross with another Indica Landrace and save the seeds fro a rainy day. Once again much appreciated. :)

QuantumGen

QuantumGen

I need that Jamaican in my life. I love the stuff. I found them to be very tolerable sativas, even for folks like myself, that have anxiety issues.
Ive only had Jamaican hybrids, and all were with elite cuts, but all were bomb. Odd tropical fruit smells seemed to be their contributions.
Id take some Colombian or mexican anyday(to the moon alice), thai and south african(beautiful cut of durb here in CO) on the sativa side. Hindu kush for me, on the landrace indica side. Id take some pakisani chitral too. I've had some pretty ok afgani but never blown away... Most bomb pure indicas ive had, with exception to hindu(pure kush), all seem to be much better with some approximation of neighboring indica bred in.
These are cultivars that ive tried and liked. I have no experience with these others but theyre definitely strains that caught my interest. Napalese watermelon hashplant(Bodhi) sounded good for breeding. Malawi from ace seeds i want to get, just havent ordered yet. And golden tiger(not purely one strain, but a mix of 2 landrace sativas like AK).

homebrew420

homebrew420

I have;
Jamaican, Nepalese, Malawi F2 (WoS), Mazar-i-Sharif, Cambodian(from Zeke), highland Thai (zeke), Panama, PCK, Durban(probably a hybrid), Vietnam(probably a hybrid...maybe)

What I really want is;
Other Malawi, more Nepalese(different source), Colombian, Congo(if it really exsists), other Afghans, indian/Hindu Kush?, Chinese(ACE Yunnan), Oaxacan, more Vietnamese, North American ferral hemp

I dont think i have missed anything

Top Bottom