What causes this curling/canoeing downwards?

• Thread starter Tico Brohei
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

Did you test your run off before you added extra nuits? Can you put up a pick of the first plant in your first post, and in daylight or as near as you can get.
This is the plant as of now. Not looking great. The other 3 seem to be thriving. Will post pics of them in natural light shortly as comparison.

266D1B0F CF4F 4B20 86B0 C2E7DAA957F4
1AA07BD3 CA63 48F8 A62A 062EAB3EC2FD
D8CD4A4E 5031 4D19 8D20 2BC2CCB911DF
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

This is the plant as of now. Not looking great. The other 3 seem to be thriving. Will post pics of them in natural light shortly as comparison.
Looks like nitrogen to me have you tried flushing it? When it’s heat stress they curl up. When it’s over watering/ nitrogen they sag that soil looks pretty dry so.

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

Looks like nitrogen to me have you tried flushing it? When it’s heat stress they curl up. When it’s over watering/ nitrogen they sag that soil looks pretty dry so.
No have not flushed. They are all ready for water. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I waited until they were 4 weeks in until I gave a half dose of fertilizer. They have only ever had one watering with fertilizer and this issue started BEFORE I added any nutrients. I do believe it was over watered though. Just found it odd that all these plants started at the same time, exposed to same conditions, same watering schedule and amount and only one is suffering.

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

No have not flushed. They are all ready for water. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I waited until they were 4 weeks in until I gave a half dose of fertilizer. They have only ever had one watering with fertilizer and this issue started BEFORE I added any nutrients. I do believe it was over watered though. Just found it odd that all these plants started at the same time, exposed to same conditions, same watering schedule and amount and only one is suffering.
The top leaves that are drooping used to have the yellowing as well but it has since disappeared, they look sick but the colour is coming back. Im not sure if thats a good sign but maybe?

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

The top leaves that are drooping used to have the yellowing as well but it has since disappeared, they look sick but the colour is coming back. Im not sure if thats a good sign but maybe?
I have a similar issues about having 4 of the same plants doing the exact same
Thing but one having the issues it really sucks. Good luck I hope people can help

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

Here are the other 3 plants. They all seem to be healthy and growing good. Since I started low stress training them they have really been exploding in the side growth. Just the one little girl thats sick...

CC66F3E6 3568 4D27 A007 9862799E9540
E94EF7D7 4214 4E37 88EF A5575F8BCBD5
98FE7B38 A728 4262 814E 673CB0538975
Madbud

Madbud

Fox Farm stuff is pretty hot out of the bag and has been known to cause some issues with seedlings. When additional nutrients are poured on a fragile seedling, the result can be overdoses of nutrients. Flks need to keep in mind that these are small plants, not redwoods. The amount of nutrients/fertilizer tht they need is minute, Feeding all this is like feeding a newborn a large pizza. Go easy on the nutrients and I think you will see things improve. Just my opinion.
The ocean forest is pretty hot but happy frog not so much.

chemistry

chemistry

The other plants look like they've suffered the same, but not as bad, and have pulled through. The sick plant looks like it's pulling through, so I'd carry on like your are with the others and see how it goes, but leave out the extra nuits for now, your sick plants new growth has good colour.

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

Could you define "acceptable level" for your pH adjustment? Are you feeding the plant at 7.8?

Edit: have you checked the runoff?
No. I add a few drops of lemon juice until the ph drops to 6.5 and settles there. Lemon juice is commonly used as a ph down for organic grows.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

No. I add a few drops of lemon juice until the ph drops to 6.5 and settles there. Lemon juice is commonly used as a ph down for organic grows.
Oh dude you're fast! I deleted that I didn't see the post above and felt my questions were already answered

My question was not about lemon juice, I use it on occasion, it was about what you were adjusting your pH to? If I were you I would check my run off, good luck!

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

Oh dude you're fast! I deleted that I didn't see the post above and felt my questions were already answered

My question was not about lemon juice, I use it on occasion, it was about what you were adjusting your pH to? If I were you I would check my run off, good luck!
Thanks i will definitely do that on my next watering

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

So not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I finally did a watering and was able to test runoff PH. It is very low about 5.4-5.3. How do I correct this? Seems to be the problem is nutrient uptake as the PH is way out of whack!
Maybe a bit of overwatering as well...

chemistry

chemistry

What's your water supply's PH? I would aim for 6.5 going in with nuits added, then test your run off to see what comes out both PH and PPM wise.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I finally did a watering and was able to test runoff PH. It is very low about 5.4-5.3. How do I correct this? Seems to be the problem is nutrient uptake as the PH is way out of whack!
Maybe a bit of overwatering as well...
You will correct that by adding one level tablespoon of dolomite lime per one gallon of pot size

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

What's your water supply's PH? I would aim for 6.5 going in with nuits added, then test your run off to see what comes out both PH and PPM wise.
I usually aim for 6.5 or slightly higher. When using the sensi grow it automatically adjusts to around 6.5. Today’s watering went in at 6.6 and came out at 5.4.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Should that be mixed with the water or top dress the soil?
I mix it into the top couple inches when I transplant, you can also spread it on the top and water it in.

Are you checking that you're newts are properly adjusting in your mix?

Also as said above you don't want your pH constantly higher than 6.5 in Fox Farm soil in my opinion, good luck

Edit: recommend read about it and follow the directions on the bag carefully because too much it will cause other issues

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Micromanaging ph in lime buffered soil is only going to mess things up. If the ph is low there was too much watering or too much nutes. I use 8.0 ph well water and never adjust the ph. The soil and plant do that.

Also lemon juice and vinegar may show corrected ph at the time of mixing but break down almost instantly in the soil and do nothing but add a little more acid each time. Hence after a while acidic soil.

Best to know the alkalinity and effects of our source water and nutrient program on the medium and why.

Happy frog has plenty of lime. It was measured in to keep ph about 6.5 at the factory. it is also bery dense soil. Ocean forest is much better but both need additional large perlite for decent results.

Tico Brohei

Tico Brohei

I mix it into the top couple inches when I transplant, you can also spread it on the top and water it in.

Are you checking that you're newts are properly adjusting in your mix?

Also as said above you don't want your pH constantly higher than 6.5 in Fox Farm soil in my opinion, good luck

Edit: recommend read about it and follow the directions on the bag carefully because too much it will cause other issues
Yes i checked my water after adding nutrients, it adjusted to 6.6.

Latest posts

Top Bottom