What cheap light do you guys recommend

• Thread starter FatFarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FatFarm

Hey y’all

I’m going to get my seeds germinated and then under a light indoors for about 4 weeks, and then move them to a greenhouse

I am just gonna put them in my cupboard under the stairs. It’s about 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft growing space but about 10 feet in length so I don’t think it will over heat in there

I plan on keeping the window open in there to let in natural air and have a circulating fan to keep humidity low

Iv looked at

Phlizon pro 2000, 240 watt
viparspectre XS1000 pro 100 watt
viparspectre XS1500 pro 150 watt viparspectra p2000, 200 watt

I need some input and advice. I’m on a budget and will only be using it to get the plants ready for outside. Thanks for your time. Iv put links for the lights below

R

RGWD0202

If just vegging go with T5s, you don’t need any of those lights you mentioned the only one I’d use of those is the 100watt. Unless you plan on using for flower later down the road save the coin.

F

FatFarm

Thanks for the reply

I could possibly make use of it down the line. I am going to get a tent to grow in winter, so I can always use it in that as extra light

How many would a 100 watt flower at a time?

R

RhCrusader

I have 2 of the same phlizons in a 4x8’ tent and 8 plants are doing fine
You would definitely need to dial it way down in a space like that.

M

MotaMan4560

Your light should be your major investment - and with a good single grow it more than likely would pay for itself.. I'm using a TSL Horti - Tech ROl e720 , spent aroung 900.00 and it is worth every single penny. Paid for itself with first grow - can connect a control box to adjust spectrum - max 800 watts.

I wouldn't skimp on lighting -- this is your sun

MotaMan

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

100 watts is going to produce minimal results for flowering. Whatever light you get I'd suggest getting one that's dimmable so you can use it for different stages of the plants development. The size and wattage of the light would depend on the size of your grow space

M

MotaMan4560

I skimped on my tent -- used scrap wood and mylar from a former place of employment, they threw perfectly good lumber away and the mylar was used as a protective wrapping for machines - perfect reflector. You get yourself one of those Kregs jigs and build anything -- my tent is 6 x 6 x 7 and my light is 4 x 4 - perfectly centered.

No complaints -

MotaMan

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The ViparSpectra XS1000 is a 128-watt light, not 100 watts (assuming they didn't change the specs since I bought mine).

I have one in a tent right now over some small clones. I have only used it for vegging small plants, but I believe it could flower one plant under the right conditions. My guess is that 100 watts is the approximate minimum wattage for flowering. There are other factors involved, of course.

F

FatFarm

The ViparSpectra XS1000 is a 128-watt light, not 100 watts (assuming they didn't change the specs since I bought mine).

I have one in a tent right now over some small clones. I have only used it for vegging small plants, but I believe it could flower one plant under the right conditions. My guess is that 100 watts is the approximate minimum wattage for flowering. There are other factors involved, of course.
I only want to use it for vegging. It will only be under light for 4 or 5 weeks to give it a bit of strength and head start before putting it outdoors in a greenhouse

Would you go with the xs1500 or a phlizon 200 watt?

Also would it veg with no tent or reflective walls? Or would you recommend getting a 2x2 tent?

Thank you for the reply’s everybody. I do appreciate your time and knowledge

R

RhCrusader

The phlizon you posted is 240 watt. And it would veg in the middle of an open room
From my experience

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
From what I’ve seen I think you are looking for 32 to 40 W per square foot. Just kind of a general rule of thumb.

F

FatFarm

From what I’ve seen I think you are looking for 32 to 40 W per square foot. Just kind of a general rule of thumb.
So 150 watt I need. Is that in a tent or open space? If a tent would 200 watt or 240 watt be ok in an open room?

If not I’ll go 150 watt and get a 2x2 tent

Thank you

F

FatFarm

The phlizon you posted is 240 watt. And it would veg in the middle of an open room
From my experience
They do a 200 watt too. I can get the 240 watt and do it in the open or go 150 or 200 and get a 2x2

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
IMO, to a big extent, the light depends on the environment. Consider, for example, that the sides of a tent reflect a lot of light. So, that needs to be part of the analysis. Something else to consider is what you might do next. If you think you might want to expand your indoor growing in the future, then a higher-power, dimmable light might be best. Then you can use it on a lower setting now and still get use out of it in the future.

Both of those are very good lights and I haven't used either of them. I have an XS1000 and several XS2000s. From use of those, I know ViparSpectra makes good lights. If I could get one with a variable dimmer, I would. The XS1500 doesn't have one. I don't know about the Phlizon light. The XS2000, by the way, is a 240-watt light and works very well in a 2x4 tent.

Also would it veg with no tent or reflective walls?
I think any of the lights mentioned would veg up to a point. If you're going all the way up to or through the stretch, well, that's another matter.

Or would you recommend getting a 2x2 tent?
I probably wouldn't recommend it till you've had a chance to see how your current environment works for you. However, I like square tents for growing a single plant all the way to harvest. That's because the reflection is about the same from all sides. I don't have a 2x2. I have a 28"x28" tent that can grow both wide and tall. I tend to think 24" isn't quite enough for my style of growing.

One thing about tents, though, is the ability to control the environment, but then we're talking about fans, humidifiers, heaters, electricity bills and most important of all, controllers. All that means we're talking about some significant cost.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Are you thinking that because it might not be in a tent?

I've used 30W/ft^2 for in-tent applications, but lately I've been thinking that's too much. Maybe 24 might be a better estimator. When I started growing under LED lights, people were recommending 60, which is way too much now. That 24 is my opinion, of course. What I do know is I hardly ever run my lights higher than 50%. Does that mean I overbought, or is it simply that LED lights are getting better?

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

I only want to use it for vegging. It will only be under light for 4 or 5 weeks to give it a bit of strength and head start before putting it outdoors in a greenhouse

Also would it veg with no tent or reflective walls? Or would you recommend getting a 2x2 tent?

Thank you for the reply’s everybody. I do appreciate your time and knowledge
You can veg pretty much anywhere with adequate air and light..

Check out the growers choice 200 watt veg light, it's perfect for seedlings, clones and veg, and dimmable

katraiter

katraiter

I have used these with good results , these guys I planted on St Patty's day , but I also put my plants outside during the day. 48 inch, 6k shop light $25.99 most hardware stores . I don't think there is anything this cheap or cheapo way to go , my yield was low but it got me there!!

PXL 20240401 233455348
PXL 20220316 002254909PORTRAIT
F

FatFarm

I have used these with good results , these guys I planted on St Patty's day , but I also put my plants outside during the day. 48 inch, 6k shop light $25.99 most hardware stores . I don't think there is anything this cheap or cheapo way to go , my yield was low but it got me there!!
Good idea. I did just look and found these couple of lights. I think I’m going to grow in the walk in closet, no tent

I am undecided on these 2, or a 240 watt led I can always keep and get a tent in fall to grow in for winter

IMG 3452
IMG 3451
jetbtkng

jetbtkng

Hey y’all

I’m going to get my seeds germinated and then under a light indoors for about 4 weeks, and then move them to a greenhouse

I am just gonna put them in my cupboard under the stairs. It’s about 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft growing space but about 10 feet in length so I don’t think it will over heat in there

I plan on keeping the window open in there to let in natural air and have a circulating fan to keep humidity low

Iv looked at

Phlizon pro 2000, 240 watt
viparspectre XS1000 pro 100 watt
viparspectre XS1500 pro 150 watt viparspectra p2000, 200 watt

I need some input and advice. I’m on a budget and will only be using it to get the plants ready for outside. Thanks for your time. Iv put links for the lights below

Phlizon PL1000W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum Lamp for Indoor Plant VEG Flower IR
US $49.30/ea
or Best Offer ebay
VIPARSPECTRA V1000 LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg Bloom IR
Newest☆Uniform PPFD☆Dimmer☆Hydroponic☆Fit 2*2ft☆US Ship
US $53.99
Was US $139.98
Save US $85.99 (61% off)
Condition:
New
i have the philizon pl1000 & 2000, work like the sun shining....

Latest posts

Top Bottom