What Commercial Strains will grow in mid-southern Ontario, Canada

• Thread starter mrsmarybrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

Any of you Ontario farmers know of any available high quality, high yieding outdoor commercial strains that will finish off by late September in Ontario, Canada. I've tried, blueberry, white rhino, original skunk, skunk #1, northern lights, Hawaiian, Emerald Wonder, A1, Deadhead kush, blackwater kush, nothing seems to finish off well here. Any recommendations of suitable strains

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Heres a couple strains that will finish by first week of Sept, they are purple pineberry and gorilla gold, the gorilla was developed way north and it is excellent smoke look around on the net and you will find a few grow journals of both,just my two cents :D

north knect

north knect

Timewarp and pinewarp for sure..I'm probably A few hours north of u and I had decent luck with a strain called freezland..and my buddy has had good luck with BC kush from the BC bud depot in Vancouver..I suggest checking out there site out.. If ur any close to Toronto the GTA Seedbank is a BC bud depot dispenser ;)

mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

Timewarp and pinewarp for sure..I'm probably A few hours north of u and I had decent luck with a strain called freezland..and my buddy has had good luck with BC kush from the BC bud depot in Vancouver..I suggest checking out there site out.. If ur any close to Toronto the GTA Seedbank is a BC bud depot dispenser ;)
We are centered around the Arthur area. We are presently growing a strain that we have had in development since 1992, an original Blueberry/White Rhino/Emerald Wonder strain That we call Crystal Blue Persuasion. It works well as a commercial cash crop and has a good punch to it but it is time to look at adding something new and improved, something with more flavour and maybe a little bulkier. We will always keep it as 50 % of our crop but like to test a couple new ones every year. So we are looking for something that is simply amazing both in High and Taste as well as very Bulky to make it a cash crop. We really would like to find an amazing Kush type strain but nothing has worked out yet.

We are considering Cali Connections Boss Hogg as 1 new strain to try and the Pinewarp looks interesting maybe as a second candidate. I see the BC Bud Depot has Purple Pineberry feminized by Next Generation and BC Pineberry and Green Life Seeds has Purple Pineberry regular seeds. I will have to take a look more closely at them. They seem more sativa oriented and I have usually been very careful of Sativas as I have found the Indicas seem to mature much faster. But we are always willing to try new things and improved things.

Thanks everyone, always looking for first hand feedback. The Canadian Strain Hunters! lol.

mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

What area of Ontario is your buddy growing the BC Kush in?

K

kolah

Sensi Seeds, Afghani #1, huge yields, finishes in late September. 100% indica too. ;)
Serious Seeds, Biddy Early, a sativa that finishes in 5o-60 days. I think it won some Cups as well.

north knect

north knect

What area of Ontario is your buddy growing the BC Kush in?
He's about 400km north of Toronto..I'm a little more northish and ran 2 beans he gifted me this season but it was a shit year for weather..the one strain I had good luck with personally was freezland..had a pungent sour grapefruit smell and a pretty good high..and I've grown a few pinewarp..they were all 6-8 foot bushes..got aprx half lb each with not much care..very piney smell and taste if ya like that

N

Norfolk Gold

Better late than never...( not the outdoor weed!..lol).....maybee you'll check back in?
valid ?!!!! 20 years ago before mail order seeds went mainstream everything we grew here in Southern Ont finished mid Sept. Seeds were taken from baggies of weed that had been acclimatized over many years to the local climate by survival of the fittest and unintentional natural selection. Most originated from the first imported Indicas thanks to the bikers!! , and the rarer ones still had some hints of Columbian and Mexican Sativas from the days of "homechoke" when the odd plant actually finished early enough and so was selected for.
Those are long gone and it's a huge roll of the dice these days. I've spent thousands of dollars on strains claiming to be fast finishers but end up barely flowering by Halloween. I've learned that just because it states 7 weeks doesn't mean much if it doesn't start flowering untill late August!! and buyer beware too....my aledged original Blueberry grew 14 feet tall, with lime green thin leaves and didn't have a single pistol showing when it froze near Halloween!!!! I'm lucky here in Ontarios Tobacco belt, Lake Erie prolongs first frost in fall and the sandy loam warms up fast in the spring so many years we are able to finish the designer kushes and white strains ...but that's only because the microclimate delays frost till late Oct and the sand drains so doesn't saturate with cold fall rain. Most of the province tho....not so lucky. Much better summer growing weather here in Ont than in BC but it gets cut way too short fast when Oct comes and summer turns directly and often abruptly to winter.
What strains to grow for a sure bet in south and mid western Ontario?
Eventually...develop your own! Best I've had thus far, I had developed myself over a 15 year period by taking the little single cola Mighty Mite, early pheno female and crossing it with good old NL to bush it out and plump it up.....then selecting and inbreeding over 10 outdoor generations. Resulting in "MFU Corn master", a stable, acclimatized, pest resistant great tasting beauty that gave me consistantly over half elbow per plant by just throwing them out and not returning till the fall. I also developed in parallel "MFU Beanmaster" by crossing the same line about five years in to Early Wonder Skunk ( semi auto strain that finished in August) I don't want to talk about how I lost my entire seed bank. ....but none the less.....it's gone! just writing this is making me feel sick!.....Guess the moral of the story is...when you get one that finishes when u want....keep it and work it. Even if it doesn't have the flavor or other traits you desire. You can cross it with any favorite then select for that trait plus early finishing. It works, if you work It! Not sure if those base strains are still purchasable but they are Might Mite, Northern Lights and Early Wonder Skunk.

N

Norfolk Gold

Then had to start hunting to restart a new seed bank.
After thousands of dollars of mail order seeds....I recommend these..........
Cinderella 99 by female seeds. Pure Sativa looking beautiful Xmas tree!

BC Pinewarp
monster early beasts!

Afghani
If pure....you'll find a tasty pheno that works

Durban Poison

Freeze land.

Fresian Dew.

BC Sweet Tooth

mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

Tried 500 BC Pinewarp last year here in central Ontario, only returned 3.8 oz average a plant, small bud too, but very good, didn't finish till mid Oct. Not good for a commercial crop here.

N

Norfolk Gold

Tried 500 BC Pinewarp last year here in central Ontario, only returned 3.8 oz average a plant, small bud too, but very good, didn't finish till mid Oct. Not good for a commercial crop here.
Grrrr rarrrrrr. .didn't want to hear that!.....Ive been prepping to run Pinewarp this season for commercial. Maybee should reconsider? I ran a test last year of a few, seeded out one for this year and grew one by herself. That girl was a decent 12oz and was fully done Oct 1,......however the big gal was in a prime location. I didnt keep that specific gal because they say its a stable homogonous strain and I assumed they'd breed true. Purple Pineberry is a smaller yeild er that the Texeda Timewarp so im wondering if the mom you selected leaned toward the Pineberry parent? My big gal didn't have much purple so maybee leaned toward the Timewarp side. Did you have much variation in the plants you grew out from the purchased seed? Was it from BC Bud Depot?
Ran Female seeds version of C99 last year. Pure Sativa looking beautiful citrus buds that were done mid Sept. 8 oz per plant. Very exotic taste and totally different soaring high than the kush nugs flooding the market so everyone wanted more. Only downside...big fluffy buds had no real density. Takes 4 bags to fit an elbow.
Maybee should ve stuck to it for this year.

Last edited:
mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

If you plant the PW in the ground in May, it should fill out better and finish off mid Oct here in Ontario. We can't plant until from mid june, until the end of june, after the fields are sprayed for weeds. It shortens the growing season but if you can plant earlier in May it should be okay, but a later finnisher. We cut from 8 mothers and everything was uniform at the end of the season, just did not produce enough and was a late finisher. With our way of planting, a 3.8 oz average just doesn't cut it for us.

Last edited:
mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

Grrrr rarrrrrr. .didn't want to hear that!.....Ive been prepping to run Pinewarp this season for commercial. Maybee should reconsider? I ran a test last year of a few, seeded out one for this year and grew one by herself. That girl was a decent 12oz and was fully done Oct 1,......however the big gal was in a prime location. I didnt keep that specific gal because they say its a stable homogonous strain and I assumed they'd breed true. Purple Pineberry is a smaller yeild er that the Texeda Timewarp so im wondering if the mom you selected leaned toward the Pineberry parent? My big gal didn't have much purple so maybee leaned toward the Timewarp side. Did you have much variation in the plants you grew out from the purchased seed? Was it from BC Bud Depot?
Ran Female seeds version of C99 last year. Pure Sativa looking beautiful citrus buds that were done mid Sept. 8 oz per plant. Very exotic taste and totally different soaring high than the kush nugs flooding the market so everyone wanted more. Only downside...big fluffy buds had no real density. Takes 4 bags to fit an elbow.
Maybee should ve stuck to it for this year.

Yep it was the BC Pinewarp from BC Bud Depot.

B

Burned Haze

I've tried 3 diff packs of texada timewarp& timewarp max , with my pheno of next generation seeds timewarp (company that breed grapegod )was Def my favorite and most vigorous . Very mild pine smell & smells like it taste (great for stealthiness )

Top Bottom