What Did I Do And How Do I Fix This

• Thread starter Zcg123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zcg123

Soo... I'm new to growng and travel for my work. Knew I was gonna be gone for the week and wanted to make sure my plants were taken care of while away. Been having aphid issues for awhile now and failed to get rid of them many times before so I went all out. Used seven dust, washed them all down with a high pressure hose as I head that could help knock the aphids off. I then cleaned my entire grow room and trimmed my plants way back. Sprayed them with a 1tbs dawn, 1 1/2cups of water, and 1 cup of vegetable oil insecticidal spray I found online. After all the hosing and spraying I gave them 6hours of darkness with fans to dry. They were looking beautiful and aphidless as I left for work. Not one full day into being gone and my plants look like this. I've had this happen probably 3 times as is trying to kill these pests. Every time I try to do something about them they come back. My plants have been stunted by this too long. Bout ready to scrap it and start fresh. Just want a fix. Please help lol.
What did i do and how do i fix this
What did i do and how do i fix this 2
What did i do and how do i fix this 3

What did i do and how do i fix this 4
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Grab a bottle.of promos!

For the 1st 3 watering of any new soil, soil drench at 5ml/gallon.

Z

Zcg123

20180219 174404
I'm fine with scrapping them but I want a lesson out of this at least. Les than 24 hours ago these were fine (pic is from yesterday). I just wanna know what I'm doing wrong because that spray I used is all over YouTube and the internet for aphids with no negative side effects. I know growth has been stunted as the "big" plants are over 4 month old clones but this was mostly the aphids. As I said this is the third time this has happened all after trying to get rid of the aphids with that spray. The first 2 times I know now were light burn but I went out of my way to avoid that this time. This was taken yesterday. The other pics this morning. All I can think of is overwatering from when i hosed them down. Honesty at a loss. I know it was something I did yesterday in attempt to kill the aphids but I don't know what I did. Fine if I have to scrap them just want to learn and grow as a grower.

Enforcer

Enforcer

IMO, a cup of oil to 1 1/2 cups of water is a LOT of oil. Also, when I have seen people use dawn soap as a surfactant, it’s only a few drops per gallon. You used a tablespoon to your 1 1/2 cup water. I think what happened was you used too much oil/Dawn and even though you left them for 6 hours in the dark, enough remained on the foliage to cause massive light burn. The amounts of oil you used and the speed they went downhill is what leads me to believe that’s what happened. Sorry about your luck bro. My heart sank as soon as I saw your plants. As previously stated, pull them, sanitize everything, and start fresh. Do your research on Intigrated Pest Management (IPM), and work it into your routine. I admire your tenacity, having this happen before and you kept at it. Don’t get discouraged, you got this.

Z

Zcg123

IMO, a cup of oil to 1 1/2 cups of water is a LOT of oil. Also, when I have seen people use dawn soap as a surfactant, it’s only a few drops per gallon. You used a tablespoon to your 1 1/2 cup water. I think what happened was you used too much oil/Dawn and even though you left them for 6 hours in the dark, enough remained on the foliage to cause massive light burn. The amounts of oil you used and the speed they went downhill is what leads me to believe that’s what happened. Sorry about your luck bro. My heart sank as soon as I saw your plants. As previously stated, pull them, sanitize everything, and start fresh. Do your research on Intigrated Pest Management (IPM), and work it into your routine. I admire your tenacity, having this happen before and you kept at it. Don’t get discouraged, you got this.
This isn't far the mo
This is by far the most help I've gotten on the subject. This makes sense. I got lazy on the last plant and just added some water (no oil or soap) to finish off that last one. You can clearly see the difference in color. I actually burnt these plants to a point wayyy worse before believe it or not. I didn't think they were coming back but they did so I'll try to keep em goin if for nothing els but a challenge. I took a bunch of cuttings the day before I left in hope of seeing roots when I get home :-) so with any luck I'll be able to save the genitcs. Thanks again

Enforcer

Enforcer

This isn't far the mo

This is by far the most help I've gotten on the subject. This makes sense. I got lazy on the last plant and just added some water (no oil or soap) to finish off that last one. You can clearly see the difference in color. I actually burnt these plants to a point wayyy worse before believe it or not. I didn't think they were coming back but they did so I'll try to keep em goin if for nothing els but a challenge. I took a bunch of cuttings the day before I left in hope of seeing roots when I get home :) so with any luck I'll be able to save the genitcs. Thanks again
Good work taking the cuttings. I totally understand wanting to ride it out. But the damage will severely impact your yield. As you’re still new, it may be more advantageous for you to count this as a learning experience, and apply that experience to your next run. Try not to think of it like quitting. You’re making it better. I just know how disappointing it is to spend the time and frustration to try to save plants, only to end up with 2 oz of crap I didn’t use. You have clones going, so your already ahead of the game. Good luck either way.

sixstring

sixstring

Idk why you put that second image with your name on it but I deleted it and you should be careful with your image uploads from that device or just look things over before hitting the post reply button.
So yeah I would scrap those and toss that soil as well, probably has bugs/eggs in it.you can use neem oil or azamax as a preventative during veg maybe once every 3 to 4 weeks.2 or 3 applications is all you should need.dont put sevin on your weedz.

Z

Zcg123

Idk why you put that second image with your name on it but I deleted it and you should be careful with your image uploads from that device or just look things over before hitting the post reply button.
So yeah I would scrap those and toss that soil as well, probably has bugs/eggs in it.you can use neem oil or azamax as a preventative during veg maybe once every 3 to 4 weeks.2 or 3 applications is all you should need.dont put sevin on your weedz.
Thanks

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Soo... I'm new to growng and travel for my work. Knew I was gonna be gone for the week and wanted to make sure my plants were taken care of while away. Been having aphid issues for awhile now and failed to get rid of them many times before so I went all out. Used seven dust, washed them all down with a high pressure hose as I head that could help knock the aphids off. I then cleaned my entire grow room and trimmed my plants way back. Sprayed them with a 1tbs dawn, 1 1/2cups of water, and 1 cup of vegetable oil insecticidal spray I found online. After all the hosing and spraying I gave them 6hours of darkness with fans to dry. They were looking beautiful and aphidless as I left for work. Not one full day into being gone and my plants look like this. I've had this happen probably 3 times as is trying to kill these pests. Every time I try to do something about them they come back. My plants have been stunted by this too long. Bout ready to scrap it and start fresh. Just want a fix. Please help lol.View attachment 779508 View attachment 779509 View attachment 779508 View attachment 779509 View attachment 779508 View attachment 779509 View attachment 779510 View attachment 779508
Did you poke holes in the bottom of the pots?

Dutchcity

Dutchcity

V/V stands for volume to volume.

The rule of of thumb is TEST TEST TEST!!!!!

Oil should be 0.5% oil v/v - 2% oil v/v. Take the total volume of water (in ml / liters / floz / gallons) you are going to spray with and multiple that number to get the amount of oil you need to mix in.

As others On a small scale a freakin drop of dawn will suffice. All it’s doing is helping the water break surface tension so it spreads out on the leaf.

But FYI you never need a surfactant with an oil spray.

SpankyLoc

SpankyLoc

I think you found your lesson.
Growing is a full time job. You cant have a farm without a farmer. You said it yourself , you work alot and thats gonna get cha everytime , absence .You definitely over killed with the spray .Those oils are suppose to lightly coat the bugs and leaves. You may have plugged up the stomata with those oils and basically choked your plants out .Get you one of those "i cant breathe" t-shirts LoL .Just kidding about the teeshirt but yea , scrap everything and start over , when work won't have you away .

Dutchcity

Dutchcity

Oil breaks surface tension of water when sprayed as a fine mist onto your plants. Need to keep tank / spray bottle agitated so oil doesn’t float to top. I’ve sprayed lights on with 2% oil and had 0 burn. It’s variety driven, % oil sprayed at or below 2%, hardiness of leaf tissue created indoors by lots of air movements / leaves moving in wind and distance from lights.

Top Bottom