What do we need to know about flipping reluctant autos?

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes ,it can't be full auto because it is mixed with photo, nobody grows pure autos for marijuana because it is void of THC
O...kay....so where in that in that mix is the dead fast rule they won't flip until they're ready....seems to me if more than 50% is photo ( or it'll be short shit) it would be influenced by light chances.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

O...kay....so where in that in that mix is the dead fast rule they won't flip until they're ready....seems to me if more than 50% is photo ( or it'll be short shit) it would be influenced by light chances.
You're exactly right about it,the degree of photo genes will determine this.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

If it was pure auto then they will flower regardless at whenever their dna tells them too

growsince79

growsince79

I think the degree of photo has a role too, Finding a highly worked strain is rare and I bet a big undertaking with autos because one parent will always die so you would have to have a predictible IBL auto to start with or theres no chance of repeating, and $ is all that matters,get them sold and move on.
Too many unscrupulous pollen chuckers pretending to be breeders.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Look at the nodes, you should see 2 v shaped pistils that tells you plant is clearly female, if you see 2 vertical spikes your hit and plant will never flower, I have a batch of blueberry that is refusing to flower but plant is clearly female so you cut your light cycle to 12/12 to induce flowering, here is a pic it depends on how bad breeder messed up.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I knew a guy on another forum who bred autos. He said it's a recessive trait and a plant is either all auto or it's photo, there's nothing in between. So assuming that's true, the OP got photos instead of autos.

IMO, my very non-biased and above board opinion, is that autos are for people without the ability to control light. When I see an auto growing in a tent, it's usually someone fairly new to growing who was told autos are easier.

There are good growers here who incorporate autos into their grows. I don't see a reason for me to grow any, though.
I will disagree here I’ve bred autos and especially f1’s may not flower! I’ve prolly done 10 different strains overs the years. I’m actually running some stitches love potion f3’s right now and still had 1 out of 6 that didn’t auto flower maybe it’s me and my technique or lack of

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It's hard to breed the Red head out of the family.....You or your wife may not have red hair but it's possible for you to have a red headed child...somewhere along your lineage there may have been a red head....multi generations later...poof a Red headed child...lol....same with the ruderalis & cannabis and it doesn't have to be multi generations later

I will disagree here I’ve bred autos and especially f1’s may not flower! I’ve prolly done 10 different strains overs the years. I’m actually running some stitches love potion f3’s right now and still had 1 out of 6 that didn’t auto flower maybe it’s me and my technique or lack of
This is what happens, according to him.

The first cross between an auto and a photo, all offspring are photos. The f2 generation between these hybrid photos comes out to be about 75% photo and 25% auto. Then when he crosses the 25% autos with each other, he gets 100% autos.

Moshmen

Moshmen

This is what happens, according to him.

The first cross between an auto and a photo, all offspring are photos. The f2 generation between these hybrid photos comes out to be about 75% photo and 25% auto. Then when he crosses the 25% autos with each other, he gets 100% autos.
Makes sense so he’s at F 3’s as well

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

We just flipped them to 12-12. Last night was their first long night. We'll just have to wait and see what the plants do.

Look at the nodes, you should see 2 v shaped pistils that tells you plant is clearly female, if you see 2 vertical spikes your hit and plant will never flower, I have a batch of blueberry that is refusing to flower but plant is clearly female so you cut your light cycle to 12/12 to induce flowering, here is a pic it depends on how bad breeder messed up.
I'm pretty sure these are female. Here's a picture. I don't see signs of them being male.

20220809 080644   crop3x4

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

We're on the third day of 12-12. The light level has been raised slightly every day. It was at 400 watts when we flipped and I set it to 470 watts today. So far, the only observable change is some stretching and increased numbers of pistils.

The reproductive stage of plant development is probably what I know least about (at this point) so I'm finding this very interesting to watch. Next time I do this, I'm going to take better notes from the beginning of the grow. I didn't this time, so I don't know when pistils began to appear. I'd guess it's easily six weeks ago. So I'm wondering how long does it take from the flip to seeing something more than pistils, to seeing something that looks like buds. I guess I'm getting impatient. These sprouted in May, so they're three months old now.

Close up of Plant Top   redux800w   20220815 115332

Here's the daily capture. I have been taking a shot like this every day.

Daily Capture   redux800w   20220815 104735

Moshmen

Moshmen

We're on the third day of 12-12. The light level has been raised slightly every day. It was at 400 watts when we flipped and I set it to 470 watts today. So far, the only observable change is some stretching and increased numbers of pistils.

The reproductive stage of plant development is probably what I know least about (at this point) so I'm finding this very interesting to watch. Next time I do this, I'm going to take better notes from the beginning of the grow. I didn't this time, so I don't know when pistils began to appear. I'd guess it's easily six weeks ago. So I'm wondering how long does it take from the flip to seeing something more than pistils, to seeing something that looks like buds. I guess I'm getting impatient. These sprouted in May, so they're three months old now.

View attachment 1271504

Here's the daily capture. I have been taking a shot like this every day.

View attachment 1271515
Usually the first week I don’t see much change other than the stretch- after 2 weeks buds should be getting set and just really getting started fattening up. This is my opinion .

Now to the plants - both look like they could use some defoliation, you need good air mover in there. I’m sure you have the info in here but I just didn’t go back far enuff. But what are your temps? And light your using ? I ask because the othe plant with the droopy leaves should not be droopy or canoeing.

Overall looks great !

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Usually the first week I don’t see much change other than the stretch- after 2 weeks buds should be getting set and just really getting started fattening up. This is my opinion .

Now to the plants - both look like they could use some defoliation, you need good air mover in there. I’m sure you have the info in here but I just didn’t go back far enuff. But what are your temps? And light your using ? I ask because the othe plant with the droopy leaves should not be droopy or canoeing.

Overall looks great !
Thanks.

It doesn't look like it, but we have been defoliating. These girls are growing amazingly fast. We're also trying to be careful not to take too much off at a time, especially as we're trying to get them to flower. We've taken more off the bottom, so it doesn't show in the pictures. I'm also not sure how to trim the smaller colas--basically the small branches.

It's a long thread, I know. The TL;DR is that we thought they were autos, but, apparently they are not. The one on the left is a few weeks older. The picture was also taken just before the plant was watered. It has always been more droopy, though, and seemed to suffer more from our mistakes. The smaller one has always looked like it's happy to be alive.

This is our first tent grow, so we approached it as mostly for learning--and we've learned a lot! We didn't even have a tent when these plants sprouted. Now we have a tent, lights, an inline fan, a dehumidifier and many other accessories. We'll be much better prepared for our next grow, while acknowledging that we still have plenty to learn from this one.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Thanks.

It doesn't look like it, but we have been defoliating. These girls are growing amazingly fast. We're also trying to be careful not to take too much off at a time, especially as we're trying to get them to flower. We've taken more off the bottom, so it doesn't show in the pictures. I'm also not sure how to trim the smaller colas--basically the small branches.

It's a long thread, I know. The TL;DR is that we thought they were autos, but, apparently they are not. The one on the left is a few weeks older. The picture was also taken just before the plant was watered. It has always been more droopy, though, and seemed to suffer more from our mistakes. The smaller one has always looked like it's happy to be alive.

This is our first tent grow, so we approached it as mostly for learning--and we've learned a lot! We didn't even have a tent when these plants sprouted. Now we have a tent, lights, an inline fan, a dehumidifier and many other accessories. We'll be much better prepared for our next grow, while acknowledging that we still have plenty to learn from this one.
Damn nice for the first one! Don’t be afraid to take off the big fan leafs that are on main branches as a general rule I try not to defol more than 20% of current leaves

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Today's picture:
Daily Capture   crop5x4   redux800w   20220816 120125

The plants look so healthy! I have grown weed before, but I have never had plants that look and grow like these. We've been taking off leaves almost daily. They do look like they're starting to stretch, though, so maybe blooms & buds are in our future.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

It has been two weeks since we flipped these to 12-12. They are definitely responding to the change.

20220828 153525 cropsq   Copy

They're still looking very healthy. We have been defoliating the days between watering, which is one or two days apart.

20220828 153404 cropped3x2   Copy

We're eager to start our next grow so we can apply what we learned from this one. We expect to harvest these about the end of September. Considering their size, though, I'm thinking they may spend a long time flowering.

PotsieSativa

PotsieSativa

Natural sun contains more 660nm than 730nm. During the day, phytochrome(R) absorbs 660nm red light and is converted to Phytochrome(FR), which accumulates throughout the day. Phytochrome (FR) is the active form of phytochrome which activates florigen production when it accumulates in auto flowers.

Phytochrome (FR) converts back to Phytochrome (R) at night. Photo period cannabis measures day length by the amount of phytochrome(R) vs Phytochrome (FR). In natural sun, which has more 660nm than 730nm,Phytochrome(FR) is the dominant form.

TLDR: Prior art on anyone who develops an autoflower specific light. You'll owe me royalties

Top Bottom